wanadoo wireless & talk

Old June 18th 05, 06:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

Default wanadoo wireless & talk

Laura wrote:
Am considering using Wandoo's new service which combines wireless
with voip (they provide the handset and which plugs into the
special router) http://www.wanadoo.co.uk/time/talkoffer/

Has anyone out there tried this yet or is there a better way ?

Laura

No, but you need to adjust your date and time settings..!

Ivor

Old June 19th 05, 04:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Martin²

They don't give much detail - how much is the wifi router, seems to me they
will try to tie you in to Wanapoo deal, they certainly want the extra £4
rental (and you can get inclusive -they are never free ! - eve and weekend
calls from OneTel on your normal phone line for £3.99 !)
You can certainly do better, for a starters just using voipbuster.com
softphone you can currently
make FREE calls to most of the '1st world' and parts of Eastern Europe.
Eventually they will cost €0.01 per call I believe.
You can use normal phones for VoIP, either by buying an ATA (adaptor) to
plug them in to your router, or you can get router with build in VoIP
port(s). As always you are better off getting your choice of hardware.
BTW Wanapoo is hardly the best or cheapest broadband provider, you would be
better off with Plus.Net at £14.99 for their Broadband Plus option, 2Mb/s,
no download limits (but they do slow down video, music and binary downloads
at busy times). They won awards for customer service too.
If you sign up with them please use my IS 'wester' as a referrer and save me
few pence,
thanks, regards,
Martin

Old June 19th 05, 06:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
RickH

"Laura" wrote in message
Am considering using Wandoo's new service which combines wireless with
voip (they provide the handset and which plugs into the special router)
http://www.wanadoo.co.uk/time/talkoffer/

Has anyone out there tried this yet or is there a better way ?

Laura

WAIT - BAD BAAAD MOVE

I signed up 5 months ago, got the livebox through with wireless ethernet
adapter for mi laptop ...

"oooooooohhh!!! this looks coooool!!!" I thought ...and then "ooo it
glows!!"

So ok its pretty fancy stuff... shame its still in box and am back on my dsl
modem. - You see i set it up as instructed. Didn't work - after numerous
attempts - spent 2 hours on hold to wanadoo only to be told around 68% of
the live boxes have major faults... they'll e-mail or call me when they
solve the problem ...5 months later, tried to call a few times, and told
still waitin - just like now WAITIN.

Try PLUSnet - 2Ghz access and no usage cap for £17.99 a month (compared with
1Ghz fand a 15GB)

Hope this helps

Rick

Old June 20th 05, 02:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Martin²

Rick:
Try PLUSnet - 2Ghz access and no usage cap for £17.99 a month (compared
with 1Ghz fand a 15GB)

Erhm, I think you mean 2Mb/s and it's only £14.99 now...
Regards,
Martin

Old June 20th 05, 02:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Martin²

Dexter:
Totally free weekend calls from Talk Talk at the moment Martin without
any monthly fee.

Yeah, but we talking evenings as well as weekends. OneTel does have totally
free 250mins,
but I don't think it's available anymore.

I wouldn't touch Plus net if I had it offered for free

More fool you. I have been with them for over two years, recommended them to
~7 people and no one had any problems with Plus.Net, only with BT
disconnecting ADSL once in a while.
Most of all they answer phones and emails and employ people who know what
they talking about, and as you may have noticed they even answer posts here.
Regards,
Martin