FOIP?

Old June 18th 05, 11:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ben Clay

Default FOIP?

Just a thought: is there a Fax Over IP offerring - so I can fax Auntie Mabel
in Oz?

Ben

Old June 18th 05, 11:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"Ben Clay" writes:
Just a thought: is there a Fax Over IP offerring - so I can fax Auntie Mabel
in Oz?

There was (and may still be) a scheme based on DNS to route faxes
across the internet, and send them from modem local to the
recipient. Demon were the local sender for the whole UK some 10
years ago. I'm racking my brains, but I can't remember what it
was called, which makes it difficult to see if it's still running.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Old June 18th 05, 11:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
George

"Ben Clay" wrote in message
Just a thought: is there a Fax Over IP offerring - so I can fax Auntie
Mabel in Oz?

Ben

I might be wrong. I think it happened once before....But, as far as I'm
aware, connecting a fax machine to an ATA using a normal VOIP sevice
would work. Although, there are some issues with compression codecs, so
G711 is recommended, as this is uncompressed PCM. As I said, I might be
wrong, so feel free to correct me.

Geo

Old June 19th 05, 02:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
John

In article , Andrew Gabriel
writes
Demon were the local sender for the whole UK some 10
years ago. I'm racking my brains, but I can't remember what it
was called, which makes it difficult to see if it's still running.

DFax, I think.
--
Hugh Janus Constipation is the thief of time, but diaorrehia waits
for no man!!
Old June 21st 05, 01:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

George wrote:
"Ben Clay" wrote in message
Just a thought: is there a Fax Over IP offerring - so I can fax Auntie
Mabel in Oz?

Ben

I might be wrong. I think it happened once before....But, as far as I'm
aware, connecting a fax machine to an ATA using a normal VOIP sevice
would work. Although, there are some issues with compression codecs, so
G711 is recommended, as this is uncompressed PCM. As I said, I might be
wrong, so feel free to correct me.

Uncompressed PCM is of course perfectly adequate for FAX, and G711 is
that quality codec, but.. You won't be guaranteed 64k PCM end to end if
you are using an IP leg which traverses the public Internet.
It IS the weakest link.

-- The PG --