Problems

Old June 24th 05, 12:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
NH

Default Problems

I have a relative who lives down under and we have been trying to get them
set up with a UK Voip service to take advantage of UK based number for them.
Tried Sipgate and Voipfone and can't get either to work, they won't connect
at their end. We can get Skype to work computer to computer but that just
gave us a taste for taking it further.
Do some ISP's block Voip?

Old June 24th 05, 12:32 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"NH" wrote in message
I have a relative who lives down under and we have been trying to get
them set up with a UK Voip service to take advantage of UK based number
for them. Tried Sipgate and Voipfone and can't get either to work, they
won't connect at their end. We can get Skype to work computer to
computer but that just gave us a taste for taking it further.
Do some ISP's block Voip?

There has been talk of some trying, but I don't think any UK based ISP's
have done so, IMHO they would be treading on dangerous ground since Vonage
got sued in the US.

What problems exactly are you having..? Without knowing more details I
can't really advise. Personally I only have experience with Sipgate not
Voipfone but I'm sure someone else will help you there.

Are you using a softphone such as X-Lite or are you using a hardware
ATA..? Be aware that Skype doesn't co-exist too well with X-Lite on the
same PC.

Email me direct with your numbers if you want to do any tests on Sipgate
(address in sig).

--
Ivor

(replace 'invalid' with 'com' in sending address to reply direct)

Old June 24th 05, 07:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
NH

I know with Sipgate it tries to login and after about 20 seconds comes up
timeout. It will try again itself but same result. I have went through all
the settings with them and all seems as it should be. If I ring their
Sipgate number it just gives the unobtainable sound. With Voipfone if I
ring their numbers it diverts to their voice mail and they can't ring out.
We tried opening the ports as suggested in Sipgates help pages.

Baffled

Old June 24th 05, 08:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Paul D.Smith

"NH" wrote in message
I know with Sipgate it tries to login and after about 20 seconds comes up
timeout. It will try again itself but same result. I have went through

all
the settings with them and all seems as it should be. If I ring their
Sipgate number it just gives the unobtainable sound. With Voipfone if I
ring their numbers it diverts to their voice mail and they can't ring out.
We tried opening the ports as suggested in Sipgates help pages.

Baffled

Umm. Does your relative have a NAT in the way, and if so, have they
configured their STUN server settings correctly? Sounds like the device is
trying to REGISTER but the REGISTER response doesn't get back. By default
this would be after 32 seconds, but the exact time may be slightly
different. Depending on your hardware, a network trace (Ethereal or
X-Lite's internal tracing if you're trying that) can be informative.

If you think all is well, try exactly the same settings at your end. They
should work just as well, or not!

Paul DS.

Old June 26th 05, 10:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
NH

Back again for more help. We have got Voipfone working - sort of.
Everything is working except they can't hear anything. We can dial out and
in, I can hear them but they have silence. Any suggestions.

Old June 26th 05, 10:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
GwG

"NH" wrote in message
Back again for more help. We have got Voipfone working - sort of.
Everything is working except they can't hear anything. We can dial out
and in, I can hear them but they have silence. Any suggestions.

What is your upload speed?
When I was using the basic NTL service, it was 56kb, which was too slow for
VoIP, even though it seemed to work OK with Skype.
If this is the case, and you are using a softphone like X-Lite, set the
codecs on the phone to only use GSM and iLBC (I think). To set the X-Lite to
only use these, you have to click on the others on the front of the phone,
G711u, G711a, SPX, to 'grey' them out.

Old June 26th 05, 10:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Stefan Kaniuk

VONAGE IS THE WAY TO GO 7 LINES HERE AND ALL WPRKING PERFECTLY THANKYOU
VERY MUCH UNLIKE OTHERS I COULD CARE TO MENTION.

Old June 26th 05, 10:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
GwG

"Stefan Kaniuk" wrote in message
VONAGE IS THE WAY TO GO 7 LINES HERE AND ALL WPRKING PERFECTLY THANKYOU
VERY MUCH UNLIKE OTHERS I COULD CARE TO MENTION.

I have heard that sometimes you can get unusual side affects, like the caps
key locking ;-)

Old June 26th 05, 12:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
GwG

"NH" wrote in message

"GwG" wrote in message

"NH" wrote in message
Back again for more help. We have got Voipfone working - sort of.
Everything is working except they can't hear anything. We can dial out
and in, I can hear them but they have silence. Any suggestions.

What is your upload speed?
When I was using the basic NTL service, it was 56kb, which was too slow
for VoIP, even though it seemed to work OK with Skype.
If this is the case, and you are using a softphone like X-Lite, set the
codecs on the phone to only use GSM and iLBC (I think). To set the X-Lite
to only use these, you have to click on the others on the front of the
phone, G711u, G711a, SPX, to 'grey' them out.

Both on broadband

The NTL service I mentioned is broadband, but some people are still on the
56kb upload.
Perhaps it would be better if you explained fully what equipment you are
using, and what internet service/speed you are on, and then more people
could comment on what your problems might be, because at the moment it is
like playing Hangman.