can't work out how to do it

Old June 24th 05, 05:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ian

Default can't work out how to do it

"news.ntlworld.com" wrote in message

"Ian" spam"AT"bathfordhill.co.uk wrote in message

"Paul D.Smith" wrote in message
et...
Looking at the description its a generic USB to ALOG phone box.
On your PC you will need the skype client running,
plug i the box and it should be seen as a sound device of some type.
you then need to make sure the skype client uses these devices.
before trying it with dect sets just use a normal phone in the rj11
socket.
you will need to make sure the middle two wires are connected.
once you have done this , make sure the dialng part of the client
works.

Ian,

What interface does it use to talk to Skype on the PC? Is there a
special
"Skype to phone adapter" protocol?

Almost any usb phone will work with skype, this is because USB phones

are
in
reality only a USB sound device and dial pad (HID). these devices use no
protocol whatsoever. As I said you just have to configure the client to
use
that device.

Dont confuse it with an ATA just because you can plug a phone in. its

not.

Ian

I'll try to answer the questions all at once.

The BT Dect phone does work plugged direct into a phone socket.

The VoIP box was on EBay as working with Skype - but that probably means
nothing.

No it means it will work with skype, Most of these usb devices will work,
for the reason i haev posted earlier

It came with a standard RJ11 cable and I got myself all confused with the
pins that should connect as the pins on the cable with the phone were (I
think) 1&4 whereas the cable with the Skype box were 2&3.

That may be the case what you needed was a simple USA to UK adaptor plugged
into the BOX

There was no protocol or anything else with the VoIP box - it was supposed
to be a case of plug in and it works. There was no tech support worth

having
either.

None should have been needed

I have to admit I have put it all back in a box close to the back door.

The
DECT phone I bought for the job I have given away - and really, I'm

looking
not so much now to make that set up work, but to have a setup with my
existing DECT phones working with Skype.

What you have is proberly the easist way of doing that. but to get you
existing dect sets and the adaptor working you would need a pbx, but you
could get sets registered to both basestations

I do appreciate all the assistance though.

Mick

One small point though, At no point have you given any description of what
did or did not work, you have given no description of symptoms, what
installed on you PC when you connected it, what or anything was heard from
the dect phone.

Would you ring the garage and tell them your car wont start, and expect them
to tell you why without any clues?

What you have will work. whether you can get it working is another thing.
And to get any assistance you will have to describe what you have done, what
happend, and what didnt happen.

Ian