can't work out how to do it

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old June 24th 05, 09:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
news.ntlworld.com

Default can't work out how to do it

Here's my dilemma.

I have broadband and telephone supplied NTL cable.

The phone socket is at one end of the house with no power point anywhere
near - though I do have a phone socket and 240v in the kitchen for the base.
I run a 4 set cordless setup for phones around the house which means I can
have a phone next to the computer (no phone socket) on which I run SKYPE.

My main household Pc is at the other end of the house - nowhere near a phone
socket.

What I actually want to do - without running phone wires all over the
place - is to have the dect phones make and take Skype calls.

What I did so far was to connect another dect base phone to a VOIP box with
RJ11 socket. Despite spending more on different cables than I did on the
phone, I could not nothing to get them to talk to each other so I eventually
gave up. Followed all sorts of advice with no luck. My though process was
that a separate DECT phone - unconnected to the NTL phone line would give me
mobility for VOIP calls.
I want to stay with Skype as it's a family thing with relatives in different
parts all using it and I like it!

My broadband is sent around the house wirelessly on a Belkin 54g wireless
setup though I do have the option to utilise a couple of RJ45 sockets if
needs be. I have no additional access points as I don't need them.

If someone can work out what I'm trying to explain and has knowledge of how
it CAN work as required - I'd be very grateful for their advice!

Thanks

Mick