Softphone troubles w/ Asterisk

Old June 24th 05, 10:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham Cox

Default Softphone troubles w/ Asterisk

Hiya,

I've only just started to play around with VOIP, and - in particular -
asterisk on a Debian box I've got at home. So far, almost everything is
working just fine with it as far as I can see - including being able to
make phonecalls over it to freephone numbers in US and UK.

The problem I have is with the device to use it with. Because I am only
just getting started, I'm loathe to spend any real money on it just yet.
As such, I figured that I would just use my XDA mobile phone as a
softphone for the system rather than spend any money on hardphones /
etc. Unfortunatly I've been less than successful on this to date.

The only client that I've been able to find that is both free and known
to work with Asterisk is SJPhone. I've got this working on my PC
connecting to the Asterisk box perfectly, but I can't make it work from
my XDA at all.

I believe the problem is because the XDA connects to the PC over a
Bluetooth ActiveSync connection - so it's technically on a different
network to the Asterisk box and needs to go through the normal routing
to get to it. However, I'm totally in the dark as to what can be done -
if anything - to make this work.

Alternatively to this, does anybody know of any other free SoftPhone
software for XDA Pocket PCs that would work instead? I have been hunting
through google, voip-info and asterisk forums but couldn't find anything
apart from this one...

Cheers
--
Graham
Old June 24th 05, 11:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ian

"Graham Cox" wrote in message
. uk...
[...]

You may need to set "nat=yes" in the sip.conf. also check that you can ping
the xda and viceversa. as it ay be a purely networking thing.

Alternatively to this, does anybody know of any other free SoftPhone
software for XDA Pocket PCs that would work instead? I have been hunting
through google, voip-info and asterisk forums but couldn't find anything
apart from this one...

Not sure about free ones , I have xtenpro for ppc but to be honest its only
good for checking vmail etc. as the processor seems to strugle with load
when using small codecs, and my connection is over wifi

Ian

Old June 25th 05, 01:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham Cox

Ian wrote:

You may need to set "nat=yes" in the sip.conf. also check that you can ping
the xda and viceversa. as it ay be a purely networking thing.

I did have this in the config - and it didn't help. However, I've
finally got Bluetooth network access - instead of Activesync access - to
work, and now SJPhone is working fine to the asterisk box Seems it
was just Activesync getting in the way.

btw - I could browse the default Apache pages on the Asterisk box from
my phone just fine, so the routing was working...

Not sure about free ones , I have xtenpro for ppc but to be honest its only
good for checking vmail etc. as the processor seems to strugle with load
when using small codecs, and my connection is over wifi

I looked at that one actually. The free version will only ever connect
to their own servers, and as I said earlier I wanted to do it without
paying for it to start with... If it works out to be worthwhile then
it's worth spending the cash, but I'd rather not until I get that far...

Cheers
--
Graham