Reliabilty of Voip for business line

Old June 24th 05, 04:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
NewsAcc

Default Reliabilty of Voip for business line

I have used sipgate for the last week and initially thought about using it
as my business line (typically 3 calls a day in/out). However, I have REAL
concerns about the reliabilty of the sipgate service. I must say, every
day that I have used it so far there has been an issue with the service. I
have tried to isolate the problem, hoping it was my softphone software, but
it appears that my 'direct dial' often cannot be called (indicating a
sipgate network/PSTN issue). This really concerns me and I am within two
minds weather or not to use it for my new business. The worst thing is that
when there is a problem, and someone tries to call the direct dial number, I
receive the 'Service not available' message which is a major problem (my
potential customers will simply try and call someone else). I think sipgate
have been going for about a year in the UK, so this is dissapointing that
the uptime isnt great. I dont mind the odd 15 min outage at 10pm every week
to update stuff, but the problems I have seen seem to be during the day for
2-3 mins at a time.

How do other VOIP providers compare in terms of reliabilty ? I would like
to try Skype, but am concerned about its propriatory network connection (I
quite fancy the idea of using different softphones and ATA hardware etc).
But if Skype had incredible uptime (and eventually offer regional incoming
numbers) then it would surely be the way to go.

Thanks in advance.

Old June 24th 05, 05:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Phil Thompson

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 15:18:33 GMT, "NewsAcc"
wrote:

How do other VOIP providers compare in terms of reliabilty ?

I would take the fact that this newsgroup is full of "Sipgate down ?"
postings and threads as an indication that you have started at the
bottom of the pile - so working upwards should be easy.

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !
Old June 24th 05, 05:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
r_mervart

wrote:

How do other VOIP providers compare in terms of reliabilty ?

I would take the fact that this newsgroup is full of "Sipgate down ?"
postings and threads as an indication that you have started at the
bottom of the pile - so working upwards should be easy.

Which is the next step up in your opinion?
Roman

Old June 24th 05, 05:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
NewsAcc

Its a shame, because as far as I know, Sipgate is the only company to offer
a regional number. If another provider could do this I would certainly give
them a try (vonage do it - albeit not as regional as I would like ! - but I
cant justify the 10 per month's worth of calls).

Old June 24th 05, 05:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ian

"NewsAcc" wrote in message
m...
Its a shame, because as far as I know, Sipgate is the only company to

offer
a regional number. If another provider could do this I would certainly

give
them a try (vonage do it - albeit not as regional as I would like ! - but

cant justify the 10 per month's worth of calls).

All commercial voip suppliers will provide a UK geographic number.
They wont be free though. but you get what you pay for in this world.

I have been using voip for nearl a year for all my in/out business calls
(20+ per day)
with no noticable down time from my supplier telappliant. But accept the
fact that when you pay peanuts you get Monkeys.

Ian

Old June 24th 05, 05:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Peter Gradwell

NewsAcc wrote:
Its a shame, because as far as I know, Sipgate is the only company to offer
a regional number. If another provider could do this I would certainly give
them a try (vonage do it - albeit not as regional as I would like ! - but I
cant justify the 10 per month's worth of calls).

I think sipgate is the only free service which offers a regional number,
but there are plenty of other business services (such as ours) which
offer them, and don't suffer quality problems.

If anyone wants a 3 month free trial, one can be had he
https://voip.gradwell.net/register/s...er=1&package=6

cheers
peter

Old June 24th 05, 06:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
JuliusP

What do you mean by regional number???

Old June 24th 05, 06:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
NewsAcc

What do you mean by regional number???

An incoming 'local to where you live number' instead of some weird 0870
xxxxxx number which looks a bit bad on a business card if you ask me.

Old June 24th 05, 07:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Fred

If anyone wants a 3 month free trial, one can be had he
https://voip.gradwell.net/register/s...er=1&package=6

When I were a lad free ment it didnt cost you nowt.

Old June 24th 05, 07:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
T.

NewsAcc wrote:
But if Skype had incredible uptime (and eventually offer regional incoming
numbers) then it would surely be the way to go.

Skype is very good. Get a USB Skype phone, and it's much nicer to use.

You can get UK numbers for 30 euros a year - area codes always increasing.