just wondering..

Old June 25th 05, 08:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
dojodirectory.co.uk

Default just wondering..

hi,

i was wondering,

if i have two IP phones configured with the same (sipgate) details /
credentials and plugged in ay home and at the office which one rings when
someone calls?

ta

Old June 25th 05, 09:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

dojodirectory.co.uk wrote:
hi,

i was wondering,

if i have two IP phones configured with the same (sipgate) details /
credentials and plugged in ay home and at the office which one
rings when someone calls?

In theory they both should. The first one that answers gets the call. I've
not tried this personally but I know someone who has and he says it works
ok.

Ivor

Old June 25th 05, 10:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Maverick

Hi Ivor,

I would like to think that was true as I was asked that question only the
other day but the answer I gave was different and only based on assumption.
If there are peeps out there who say it works then great!

My answer was to try it and see because my understanding of the way sip
calls get through to you is by peeps like sipgate knowing where you are in
order to forward calls to you.... I assumed that this is down to the
registration that your unit sends out (mine is every 60 mins) whereby the
external IP is sent out to the relevant company. Would 2 such registrations,
sending back different IPs, not confuse matters? My assumption was that this
might work but only on the basis that the reg times would have to be
staggered and in that case the most recent reg would get the call? Then the
reg's, if staggered, would alternate who gets the next call after each
registration?

Please help a confused sole....... :-)

Mav

Old June 25th 05, 11:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

Maverick wrote:
[...]

I don't know, as I said I haven't tried it. A friend says it works ok for
him though.

Ivor

PS could you not top post in this group, many thanks :-)

Old June 25th 05, 11:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

Maverick wrote:
Sorry Ivor I don't know what you mean. What is top posting and how
do I not do it?

Cheers

Mav

It's general practice in most groups, including this one, to add your text
at the end rather than at the beginning, as I am doing here. Top posting
is adding it at the start, as you are doing.

Top posting makes a thread somewhat more difficult for other people to
follow, as it involves scrolling up and down to read the text in the order
in which it was wrtitten. Bottom posting is better for this as the
additional comments follow on in the correct order. The down side is that
the post can become quite long, but the use of judicious snipping of
irrelevant and often quoted text eases this somewhat.

I hope I did not come across as being a complaining old so-and-so, it was
not intended in that way.

All the best,

Ivor

Old June 25th 05, 11:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Maverick

"Ivor Jones" wrote in message
Maverick wrote:
[...]

Sincere thanks for that Ivor!

I always thought it meant replying to the O/P rather than the one you were
answering :-) Mav = dimwit sometimes! Apols for being a numpty.....

Cheers

Mav

P.s. I don't know why peeps go on about Sipgate like they do either as I've
never had a problem and neither have the mates I've recommended them to!
Even support e-mails have been swift. Give em a chance everyone... :0)

Old June 26th 05, 12:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thus spaketh Maverick:
P.s. I don't know why peeps go on about Sipgate like they do either
as I've never had a problem and neither have the mates I've
recommended them to! Even support e-mails have been swift. Give em a
chance everyone... :0)

I've had a few problems with Sipgate, I learn to live with it and hope any
problems are sorted out swiftly, I would still and do recommend them.

Old June 27th 05, 09:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Harry Broomhall

I haven't seen the original article so I'm answering this one!

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 21:59:39 GMT, "Maverick"
wrote:

"Ivor Jones" wrote in message
dojodirectory.co.uk wrote:
hi,

i was wondering,

if i have two IP phones configured with the same (sipgate) details /
credentials and plugged in ay home and at the office which one
rings when someone calls?

Both (for Sipgate - haven't tried anybody else) will ring. The
first one to answer will cause a 'CANCEL' to be sent to the other.

I haven't rigorously tested this - but Sipgate seems to allow up
to 3 different registrations for a given number. I have had 3 phones
registered, all on different IPs, and all rang when called.

Regards,
Harry.

Old June 29th 05, 07:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Steven Sumpter

dojodirectory.co.uk wrote:

if i have two IP phones configured with the same (sipgate) details /
credentials and plugged in ay home and at the office which one rings when
someone calls?

I use both an ATA with a real phone on it and also a laptop running
X-Lite. Incoming calls ring both until one is answered.

Steve.