BudgeTone-102 purchased. Great phone, wrong choice !

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old June 26th 05, 08:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
NewsAcc

Default BudgeTone-102 purchased. Great phone, wrong choice !

I bit the bullet after lengthy threads below (about buying a SIP phone, ATA
or PC Headset), and got a BudgeTone-102 from ebay (£46 all in). Used with
Sipgate (rightly or wrongly) I simply cant fault the quality. I cannot find
any delay what-so-ever and the people I have spoken to seem to think its
like a normal line (most people think its better which I suspect its because
my normal DECT phone is poor quality). I was intending to use this as a
business phone/line (maybe changing provider as Sipgate just dont seem to
have the reliability that I have witnessed). However, I have just spotted a
few MAJOR drawbacks of the device, which of course, I should have looked
into before the purchase ! I assumed they would have come as standard, but
I was wrong.

1. When I receive a missed call, there is no indicator (LCD or otherwise) to
tell me so. Instead, I have to pick up the phone and press the 'callers'
button to see the last caller. It doesnt even tell me what time they
called. Any free softphone has this as standard (Sjphone has fantastic
missed call notification/management).

2. No server side answerphone notification. To be honest, I didnt expect it
could do this as the server side would have to somehow send a notification
to it so something could flash etc.

3. No local phonebook ? Instead I have to use Sipgates two digit quickdial
server side numbers and write them on a small piece of card stuck to the
phone (err, not very good...)

Both of the above are essential for use as a business phone for me so I can
view missed calls quickly or see if someone has left a message. I can now
see the MAJOR benefit of an ATA (which I couldnt before). I would be able
to use the full standard missed call notification/messaging services of a
DECT phone (including the DECT phone answer machine instead of Sipgates
server side 30% German one !) together with excellent phonebook management
AND get a couple of wireless phones to boot ! Price wise, a Logitech ATA is
about £35 and a twin Dectphone pack from Argos is about the same. So the
whole setup will be about £30 more expensive, but infinately better as far
as I can see.

As a cheap alternative, I could always run SJPhone on my PC to view the
missed calls and of course, Sipgate send their voicemails as email
attachments. Bit of overkill though.

Dont get me wrong. The BT-102 is a CRACKING phone though. I cant
understand why there is no delay on the phone, whereas softphones always
seem to have a 'slight' delay.