Vo-IP ATA adapter required - recommendations please

Old June 27th 05, 02:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Tony

Default Vo-IP ATA adapter required - recommendations please

I'm wanting to install an ATA onto my network so I can make a receive calls
using Vo-IP using a DECT cordless phone. I have the following questions if
anyone could help.

How much will it cost me for the adapter (minimum cost)

How do you configure the adapter, do I use a web browser, similar to the
configuration of a modem/router or wifi access point?

Could I use two separate services for outgoing and incoming calls?, the
reason I ask this is because currently I use 18866 to make calls from my
computer using Vo-IP, but I receive calls via sipgate. (I am using X-lite at
present) Can this sort of thing usually be configured into any ATA?

Would the ATA just connect to the LAN using a standard CAT5 cable into the
back of my modem/router? (Netgear DG843G)

Is there any reason why I would not be able to connect a DECT cordless phone
to the ATA, so I could use the phone anywhere around the home?

Any recommendations for a suitable ATA would be great, especially if you
have a website where I could buy one as I really would like to get this up
and running as soon as possible.

Thanks very much indeed..

Tony

Old June 27th 05, 02:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Phil Thompson

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 14:09:03 +0100, "Tony"
wrote:

How much will it cost me for the adapter (minimum cost)

some include them in the service (monthly fee) or buy your own
50-100 for example http://www.provu.co.uk/sipura.html

How do you configure the adapter, do I use a web browser, similar to the
configuration of a modem/router or wifi access point?

got it in 1.

Could I use two separate services for outgoing and incoming calls?, the
reason I ask this is because currently I use 18866 to make calls from my
computer using Vo-IP, but I receive calls via sipgate. (I am using X-lite at
present) Can this sort of thing usually be configured into any ATA?

depends on the ATA. The sipura 2000 range do two services.

Would the ATA just connect to the LAN using a standard CAT5 cable into the
back of my modem/router? (Netgear DG843G)

right again. there are some ATAs that like to go ahead of other stuff
for QoS ire they act as routers themselves.

Is there any reason why I would not be able to connect a DECT cordless phone
to the ATA, so I could use the phone anywhere around the home?

none.

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !
Old June 27th 05, 02:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Tony

wrote:

[...]

Thanks ever so much Phil, for the prompt reply. So if I buy a
http://www.provu.co.uk/sipura_spa2000.html
You don't see any reason why I wouldn't be able to carry on using 18866 for
outgoing calls and sipgate for incoming calls using this unit?

I assume thats what the dual line bit means? Presume the cheap option here
http://www.provu.co.uk/sipura_spa1001.html wouldn't allow me to use both
18866 and sipgate???

Thanks again Phil... If you could just clear these two queries up, I`ll get
ordering.

Thanks again.

Tony

Old June 27th 05, 02:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
gumusluk

If you buy the 1001 and update the software you can use two different
providers. I have voipbuster and Sipgate on mine and both are OK.

Old June 27th 05, 03:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Phil Thompson

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 14:41:28 +0100, "Tony"
wrote:

I assume thats what the dual line bit means?

yes, dual line means two accounts.

The 1001 refers to a firmware upgrade to carry two accounts on the 1
physical port. This would seem best for your needs.

see the review at http://www.voipuser.org/review_15.html
confirms what we thought.

Phil
Old June 27th 05, 03:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Tony

wrote:

[...]

Just one more little query Phil, I assume you can setup the IP address for
any network? I don't use the common 192.168.0.1 etc, I use one starting
172.17.xx.xx

Thanks
Tony

Old June 27th 05, 03:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Phil Thompson

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 15:13:36 +0100, "Tony"
wrote:

Just one more little query Phil, I assume you can setup the IP address for
any network? I don't use the common 192.168.0.1 etc, I use one starting
172.17.xx.xx

most ATA's take the IP by DHCP so I would say yes. I use 10.x
addresses.

Some use IVR from the phone handset to put in the IP. Wouldn't expect
it to be an issue.

Phil
Old June 27th 05, 04:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
JPG

wrote:

Could I use two separate services for outgoing and incoming calls?, the
reason I ask this is because currently I use 18866 to make calls from my
computer using Vo-IP, but I receive calls via sipgate. (I am using X-lite at
present) Can this sort of thing usually be configured into any ATA?

Sorry about hijacking the thread but I have a newbie query:

How does one use two lines with X-lite, and assuming I have Sipgate for incoming
and 18866 for outgoing, what telephone number should I/ would I use?

JPG
Old June 27th 05, 04:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Tony

wrote:

Could I use two separate services for outgoing and incoming calls?, the
reason I ask this is because currently I use 18866 to make calls from my
computer using Vo-IP, but I receive calls via sipgate. (I am using X-lite
at
present) Can this sort of thing usually be configured into any ATA?

Sorry about hijacking the thread but I have a newbie query:

How does one use two lines with X-lite, and assuming I have Sipgate for
incoming
and 18866 for outgoing, what telephone number should I/ would I use?

JPG

Setup a second service in SIP PROXY: proxy 1 in the program.

Tony

Old June 27th 05, 07:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Dave Gill

gumusluk wrote:

If you buy the 1001 and update the software you can use two different
providers. I have voipbuster and Sipgate on mine and both are OK.

There's currently a 1001 on eBay. The "buy-it-now" price is about what
you would pay for a new one less the VAT.

(I am in no way connected with the seller, and cannot vouch for his item
or his reputation, but his eBay feedback seems good.)