18866 - Spiura 1001 no incoming sound on my calls?

Old June 28th 05, 03:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Tony

Default 18866 - Spiura 1001 no incoming sound on my calls?

Hi,

I have just installed a Sipura SPA-1001 (with lastest software) but seem to
be having problems getting any sound (from the people I call) when making
outgoing calls with 18866 Vo-IP.

Does anyone have any idea why this might happen?

I have received calls using the same unit with sipgate and all is just fine,
so I guess that rules out the unit being faulty.

According to the menu's I have logged into 18866 successfully and all seems
to be fine, apart from the incoming sound.

I really don't know where to look for the reason.

I would appreciate any ideas for a cure. Thanks indeed.

Tony

Old June 28th 05, 04:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Phil Thompson

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 14:51:37 +0100, "Tony"
wrote:

I have just installed a Sipura SPA-1001 (with lastest software) but seem to
be having problems getting any sound (from the people I call) when making
outgoing calls with 18866 Vo-IP.

Does anyone have any idea why this might happen?

firewall and NAT traversal issues. Standard SIP stuff.

The ports you set up for forwarding are control ports to set up the
session. It then opens othe rports to stream the data through.

What have you opened ?

The other issue is STUN - this is a workaround for SIP over NAT
firewalls. Have you configured a STUN server for the service in
question. Does it need a particular port opening.

Phil
Old June 28th 05, 05:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Tony

wrote:

I have just installed a Sipura SPA-1001 (with lastest software) but seem
be having problems getting any sound (from the people I call) when making
outgoing calls with 18866 Vo-IP.

Does anyone have any idea why this might happen?

firewall and NAT traversal issues. Standard SIP stuff.

The ports you set up for forwarding are control ports to set up the
session. It then opens othe rports to stream the data through.

What have you opened ?

The other issue is STUN - this is a workaround for SIP over NAT
firewalls. Have you configured a STUN server for the service in
question. Does it need a particular port opening.

Phil

Err, I'm not sure what you are asking me now... I have opened port 16384 to
16482, but I'm lost now as to what to do next. Its just the incoming audio
that appears to be not working Phil.

Have you configured a STUN server for the service in question. Does it need
a particular port opening.

Not sure if I can configure a STUN server, I don't see anywhere where I can
enter one?

I'm a bit out of my depth now, as its all new to me this one : )

Tony

Old June 28th 05, 05:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Phil Thompson

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 16:01:50 +0100, "Tony"
wrote:

Err, I'm not sure what you are asking me now... I have opened port 16384 to
16482, but I'm lost now as to what to do next. Its just the incoming audio
that appears to be not working Phil.

to be expected if the ports are blocked

http://www.call18866.co.uk/voip.php gives you the address of the STUN
server

the STUN server might concievably be called the "outbound proxy"
if it has that then enable it and use the 18866 server as above.

failing that, try the wizard I posted earlier, or
http://www.inphonex.com/configure/spa2k/index.htm ?

Phil
Old June 28th 05, 08:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Tony

wrote:

Err, I'm not sure what you are asking me now... I have opened port 16384
16482, but I'm lost now as to what to do next. Its just the incoming
audio
that appears to be not working Phil.

to be expected if the ports are blocked

http://www.call18866.co.uk/voip.php gives you the address of the STUN
server

the STUN server might concievably be called the "outbound proxy"
if it has that then enable it and use the 18866 server as above.

failing that, try the wizard I posted earlier, or
http://www.inphonex.com/configure/spa2k/index.htm ?

Phil

Well Ive spent most of the last three hours trying to get the Sipura running
with 18866 VOIP, to no avail : (

Am I wasting my time Phil? Do think this 18866 with VoIP was a bad idea?
Do you use a different provider?

Can anyone who is using a Sipura 1001 or similar with 18866, please let me
know how you got it going?

I still can't get any sound from the person I am calling.

Thanks
Tony

Old June 28th 05, 09:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

wrote:

Err, I'm not sure what you are asking me now... I have opened
port 16384 to 16482, but I'm lost now as to what to do next. Its
just the incoming audio that appears to be not working Phil.

to be expected if the ports are blocked

http://www.call18866.co.uk/voip.php gives you the address of the
STUN server

the STUN server might concievably be called the "outbound proxy"
if it has that then enable it and use the 18866 server as above.

No. The outbound proxy and STUN servers are different things entirely.
Check that you have the correct port number specified for the STUN
server - for Sipgate it is port 10000, for others it may well be
different.

On my Sipura SPA-2000 the STUN server details are entered on the SIP page,
the proxy/outbound proxy on the line info page.

Ivor

Old June 28th 05, 09:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Tony

wrote:

Err, I'm not sure what you are asking me now... I have opened
port 16384 to 16482, but I'm lost now as to what to do next. Its
just the incoming audio that appears to be not working Phil.

to be expected if the ports are blocked

http://www.call18866.co.uk/voip.php gives you the address of the
STUN server

the STUN server might concievably be called the "outbound proxy"
if it has that then enable it and use the 18866 server as above.

No. The outbound proxy and STUN servers are different things entirely.
Check that you have the correct port number specified for the STUN
server - for Sipgate it is port 10000, for others it may well be
different.

On my Sipura SPA-2000 the STUN server details are entered on the SIP page,
the proxy/outbound proxy on the line info page.

Ivor

I am trying to get 18866 working, but http://www.call18866.co.uk/voip.php
doesn't specify a port for the STUN server. : (

Old June 28th 05, 10:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Tony

wrote:

Err, I'm not sure what you are asking me now... I have opened
port 16384 to 16482, but I'm lost now as to what to do next. Its
just the incoming audio that appears to be not working Phil.

to be expected if the ports are blocked

http://www.call18866.co.uk/voip.php gives you the address of the
STUN server

the STUN server might concievably be called the "outbound proxy"
if it has that then enable it and use the 18866 server as above.

No. The outbound proxy and STUN servers are different things entirely.
Check that you have the correct port number specified for the STUN
server - for Sipgate it is port 10000, for others it may well be
different.

On my Sipura SPA-2000 the STUN server details are entered on the SIP page,
the proxy/outbound proxy on the line info page.

Ivor

Do I have to add the 'Primary NTP Server' and 'Secondary NTP Server:' for it
to work properly?

Tony

Old June 28th 05, 10:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Phil Thompson

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 19:20:30 +0100, "Tony"
wrote:

Am I wasting my time Phil? Do think this 18866 with VoIP was a bad idea?
Do you use a different provider?

relax, its IT - 98% of it doesn't work 1st time and 30% of it never
works.

According to http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-STUN STUN works on Port
3478 TCP and UDP, so open them up.
http://www.zyxel.com/support/support...pp/ata_nat.htm
confirms.

What you should do is enable the firewall logging, make a short call,
turn off the logging and digest the log. Then you will see it blocking
the ports that you need to open.

If you had a softphone working then extract the settings from that.

Another debug strategy is to turn off the firewall to see if that
makes it work, if it does you know where the problem is.

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !
Old June 28th 05, 10:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Stuart Millington

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 21:00:15 +0100, "Tony"
wrote:

Do I have to add the 'Primary NTP Server' and 'Secondary NTP Server:' for it
to work properly?

NTP is for setting the time (Network Time Protocol IIRC) and is not
related to the voice problems. Although, unless you allow NTP traffic
through the firewall on port 123, you will have to set the time
manually.

- Stuart Millington ALL HTML e-mail rejected -
- mailtohttp://w3.z-add.co.uk/ -