Do these VOIP companies have viable business models?

Old June 29th 05, 11:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
JPG

Default Do these VOIP companies have viable business models?

I keep thinking of boo.com and other notable web failures and wonder how long
the free/very cheap calls will last - or is it really different this time and
VOIP businesses can survive and still provide their current services at current
prices?

How do telecomms businesses trade? Presumably there has to be some way for a
Telecomms company in Australia, say, to be paid by us for the use of their last
few km of copper wire?

JPG
Old June 29th 05, 03:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ian

"JPG" wrote in message
I keep thinking of boo.com and other notable web failures and wonder how

long
the free/very cheap calls will last - or is it really different this time

and
VOIP businesses can survive and still provide their current services at

current
prices?

How do telecomms businesses trade? Presumably there has to be some way

for a
Telecomms company in Australia, say, to be paid by us for the use of their

last
few km of copper wire?

well some will and some wont.

Time will tell who survives though. in the end it will come down to cost and
service level.
The shake up will be similar to the isp market ith small players being
swallowed up by the big boys as the race to get market share.
The market is starting to mature with the likes of MCI launching a business
product for the european market, I think we can expect to see more of the
large players launching over the next few months. As well as the Isps
launching their own offerings AOL and Wanadoo to name but two the small visp
will find it harder to get market share and will be required to provide
support for all levels of users.
It will be interesting to see who does survive though

Ian

Old June 29th 05, 03:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
JPG

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 15:17:03 +0100, "Ian" spam"AT"bathfordhill.co.uk wrote:

"JPG" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

I wonder how long before hardware manufacturers catch on in a big way (not the
paltry choice we have now). The market for ATAs and Voip Telephones is likely
to explode over the next year or so, prices will plummet (hopefully).

JPG

Ian

Old June 29th 05, 06:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ian

"JPG" wrote in message
On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 15:17:03 +0100, "Ian" spam"AT"bathfordhill.co.uk

wrote:

"JPG" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Not sure where you are looking, But the hardware space is flooded, I get
emails from china daily pushing a new sip phone or ata. also all the main
players are making sip phones, as well as voice enabled routers are avalible
from most suppliers.
as to the cost plummeting, i think you will find the price polorising, with
cheap mass market at one end and business quality ones at the other. but the
take up has to be far greater to make selling cheap ones worth while.

Ian

Old June 29th 05, 09:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
JPG

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 18:01:26 +0100, "Ian" spam"AT"bathfordhill.co.uk
wrote:

"JPG" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 15:17:03 +0100, "Ian" spam"AT"bathfordhill.co.uk

wrote:

"JPG" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

If that's the case, I need some links. The usual Amazon, Ebuyer etc
seems to be very light on VOIP hardware.

JPG

--
"And man can be as big as he wants. No problem of
human destiny is beyond human beings. Man's reason