Voip Buster, Server Error

Old June 30th 05, 04:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Phil

Default Voip Buster, Server Error

Is anyone else having problems with VOIP Buster. I am getting a server error
reported I'm using their software

Old June 30th 05, 04:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Phil

"Phil" wrote in message
Is anyone else having problems with VOIP Buster. I am getting a server
error reported I'm using their software

It connects now and I can make calls and here the other person but they
can't here me, guess they must be having some problems

Old June 30th 05, 06:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Gary

"Phil" wrote in message

"Phil" wrote in message
Is anyone else having problems with VOIP Buster. I am getting a server
error reported I'm using their software

It connects now and I can make calls and here the other person but they
can't here me, guess they must be having some problems

Why are there so many problems with Voip? I bought a sipura 2000 and I am
having all sorts of problems like you are having. Is it really worth all
the hassle and the money?

Gary

Old June 30th 05, 06:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
T.

Gary wrote:

Why are there so many problems with Voip? I bought a sipura 2000 and I am
having all sorts of problems like you are having. Is it really worth all
the hassle and the money?

Yes - it all comes down to what VoIP provider you pick.

People expect great things from paying nothing. It just doesn't work
like that.
Old June 30th 05, 06:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Gary

"T." wrote in message
Gary wrote:

Why are there so many problems with Voip? I bought a sipura 2000 and I
am having all sorts of problems like you are having. Is it really worth
all the hassle and the money?

Yes - it all comes down to what VoIP provider you pick.

People expect great things from paying nothing. It just doesn't work like
that.

What is the accepted minimum broadband speed in order to get good quality
VoIP?

What sort of speed is best for browsing and voIP at the same time?

Is 512k acceptable, or do you need higher?

Gary

Old June 30th 05, 07:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

Gary wrote:

[snip]

What is the accepted minimum broadband speed in order to get good
quality VoIP?

What sort of speed is best for browsing and voIP at the same time?

Is 512k acceptable, or do you need higher?

Gary

It's not so much the download speed as the upload. The highest quality
codec (G711a) uses 80k in *both* directions on a call, so if your upload
speed is slow (some cable connections only have a 128k upload speed) then
it can affect the call quality.

I recommend you avoid heavy file downloading during calls, even so.

Ivor

Old June 30th 05, 09:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
GwG

"Ivor Jones" wrote in message
Gary wrote:

[snip]

What is the accepted minimum broadband speed in order to get good
quality VoIP?

What sort of speed is best for browsing and voIP at the same time?

Is 512k acceptable, or do you need higher?

Gary

It's not so much the download speed as the upload. The highest quality
codec (G711a) uses 80k in *both* directions on a call, so if your upload
speed is slow (some cable connections only have a 128k upload speed) then
it can affect the call quality.

I recommend you avoid heavy file downloading during calls, even so.

I am on NTL and have 128k upload, this gives me no problems with VoIP.
Before that, my upload speed on NTL was 56k, and this caused problems
hearing the other party. Some broadband customers on the basic package with
NTL will still be on 56k, unless they have done the latest speed upgrades,
but some don't want to upgrade because they then might be capped at 3Gb per
month.

Old June 30th 05, 10:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Phil

"Gary" wrote in message
Why are there so many problems with Voip? I bought a sipura 2000 and I am
having all sorts of problems like you are having. Is it really worth all
the hassle and the money?

Gary

To be honest it's the first ptoblem I've had with VOIP Buster, but there
again it's free for calling UK landlines and is still in Beta testing so
it's fair enough. I use them because other VOIP companys are more expensive
than just using 18866 with my landline so there isn't really any point in
using them.

Old June 30th 05, 11:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
T.

Gary wrote:

Why are there so many problems with Voip? I bought a sipura 2000 and I
am having all sorts of problems like you are having. Is it really worth
all the hassle and the money?

Yes - it all comes down to what VoIP provider you pick.

People expect great things from paying nothing. It just doesn't work like
that.

What is the accepted minimum broadband speed in order to get good quality
VoIP?

What sort of speed is best for browsing and voIP at the same time?

Is 512k acceptable, or do you need higher?

512K is more than enough.
Old July 1st 05, 01:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Martin²

T:
512K is more than enough.

Not necessarily while using the internet.
I share my 1Mb/s connection with a partner in another building, via wifi.
When I called the other party would often miss 2 or 3 seconds of what I was
saying,
making conversation difficult. I now have QoS equipped Draytek router set to
reserve 70%
of upload capacity for SIP traffic (if any) and it works much better.
Regards,
Martin