UK Dial plan

Old July 4th 05, 04:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom
Vernon Quaintance

Default UK Dial plan

Owain wrote:

David Floyd wrote:
Andrew Gabriel writes
What about other 02n areas?
What would they be?

Portsmouth, Southampton, Coventry, Cardiff, Northern Ireland. All have 8
digit numbers with various 02n code numbers.

And not all were/are charged as 'local' within the code area.

Owain

Whilst numbers in 01234 areas may be of variable length, things are much
simpler where the code is any of:

02x - all local numbers are 8 digit (eg London, Southampton, N.
Ireland)
011x - all local numbers are 7 digit (eg Bristol, Reading)
01x1 - all local numbers are 7 digit (eg Manchester, Glasgow,
Birmingham)
Old July 4th 05, 06:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom
Peter

Here's the definitive list:
http://www.ofcom.org.uk/telecoms/ioi..._plan_0605.pdf

It's got the lot.

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Does anyone have UK dial plan strings which covers all the phone number
formats you might want to dial from a UK PSTN line? I'm programming
a Sipura-3000 VoIP phone, and I'm looking for a suitable dial plan
string. The phone uses something based on MEGACO and MGCP format
apparently. Here's a first stab at all the possibilities, but it's
sure to be incomplete and could do with further breakdown...

999 emergency
1xx. 112, 151, 141..., 1471..., etc.
0[123]xxxxxxxxx STD (not sure if '3' is used anywhere)
07xxxxxxxxx mobile, personal
[2-9]xxxxx local (in 01234, etc areas)
[2-9]xxxxxx local (in 0207, 0118, etc. areas)
0[45689]x. Various things like 0500... and others I don't know
00x. international
[*#]x. network services

Key: x = any single digit
. = zero, one, or more repetitions of previous
[] = any one key from the values or range enclosed

Old July 4th 05, 04:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom
Chris

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
[...]

Why not just use this:

xx.
Old July 16th 05, 12:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom
Nigel D

.. .

--
Andrew Gabriel

Not sure if it what you want, but try

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/telecoms/ioi...?a=87101#geog1

Nigel D.
http://www.thedyers.org.uk/mail

Old July 17th 05, 12:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom
Nicholas Thomas

Peter Morgan - 0870 432 9632 wrote:
On 2 Jul 2005 12:04:47 GMT, (Robin Fairbairns) wrote:

gosh -- does 0500 still exist? (0345 and 0545 don't, afaik)

That 0545 was 0645, I think :-) Peter M.

Last I checked, wasn't BT using 05 numbers for VoIP?

xF,

....Nick
Old July 17th 05, 11:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom
Tim Clark

In article ,
Nicholas Thomas writes:
Alan J. Flavell wrote:
Wake up at the back there! Robin and Peter aren't talking about "the
last time that you checked", but about various points in history.

Funny, that - I read it as Robin asking for information about the
current time (ie. if 0500 "still" exists). Obviously, if BT has
appropriated the entire 05x. range for VoIP, then the answer to his
question is "no".

BT lost the ability to appropriate parts of the number range many years
before the acronym VoIP even escaped from the laboratory. All telcos
have to apply to Ofcom, as they have had to do for some time (Oftel
before). Each allocation is for a batch where at least the first six
digits after the "0" are specified, never less.

For example BT have allocated to them numbers starting 0560043, while
numbers starting 0560042 and 0560044 are allocated to other operators.

The points in history Robin and Peter were talking about were before
such matters were even thought about. When BT ruled the numbering
ranges, and many of those inside that organisation believed that
releasing information about numbering to the public was reckless and
best avoided.

--
Tim Clark
Old July 18th 05, 11:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom
Alan J. Flavell

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005, Nicholas Thomas wrote:

Ah. got it. 0500 xxx xxx is still around, (eg. the missing people's
helpline) but not being allocated any more, and slowly being phased
out.

Right. It looks as if the overall structure of the official numbering
assignments can be downloaded from
http://www.ofcom.org.uk/telecoms/ioi/numbers/?a=87101

On page 12 it appears that the only 05 codes currently being allocated
are in 055 and 056.

Indeed it says that 0500 (no charge to caller) is not available
for allocation but can be "adopted where already allocated".

Tim Clark's presentation of more-detailed assignments can be found at
http://www.ukphoneinfo.com/search/Ph...ng_list-3.html

As Robin said before, there used, at some past time, to be an 0545 -
counterpart to 0845.