UK Dial plan

Old July 1st 05, 01:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom
Andrew Gabriel

Default UK Dial plan

Does anyone have UK dial plan strings which covers all the phone number
formats you might want to dial from a UK PSTN line? I'm programming
a Sipura-3000 VoIP phone, and I'm looking for a suitable dial plan
string. The phone uses something based on MEGACO and MGCP format
apparently. Here's a first stab at all the possibilities, but it's
sure to be incomplete and could do with further breakdown...

999 emergency
1xx. 112, 151, 141..., 1471..., etc.
0[123]xxxxxxxxx STD (not sure if '3' is used anywhere)
07xxxxxxxxx mobile, personal
[2-9]xxxxx local (in 01234, etc areas)
[2-9]xxxxxx local (in 0207, 0118, etc. areas)
0[45689]x. Various things like 0500... and others I don't know
00x. international
[*#]x. network services

Key: x = any single digit
. = zero, one, or more repetitions of previous
[] = any one key from the values or range enclosed

--
Andrew Gabriel
Old July 1st 05, 03:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom

In uk.telecom Andrew Gabriel wrote:
[2-9]xxxxx local (in 01234, etc areas)
[2-9]xxxxxx local (in 0207, 0118, etc. areas)

1. Didn't think any local numbers were supposed to start with 9... unless
anyone here knows different?

2. For 0207 - surely you mean 020 with 8 local digits (relevant when
you block out initial 0, 1, 9 digits from the local part)?

3. What about these sneaky termination numbers such as 0118 0nn nnnn,
which I suppose someone might want to dial, but have to be treated a
All Figure Numbers?

Chris
Old July 1st 05, 03:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom
Jet Morgan

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message

[2-9]xxxxxx local (in 0207, 0118, etc. areas)

No such thing as an "0207 area". You got the 0118 right, though.

Richard [in PE12]

Old July 1st 05, 04:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom
Jet Morgan

wrote in message
In uk.telecom Andrew Gabriel wrote:
[2-9]xxxxx local (in 01234, etc areas)
[2-9]xxxxxx local (in 0207, 0118, etc. areas)

1. Didn't think any local numbers were supposed to start with 9... unless
anyone here knows different?

Certainly some of the director codes in London start with a "9".
I think there's a "911" being Westminster, which was cited as a
reason why we couldn't alis 112/999 to 911 for the benefit of
American tourists.

Richard [in PE12]

Old July 1st 05, 04:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom
David Floyd

In message of Fri, 1 Jul 2005, Andrew Gabriel writes
Does anyone have UK dial plan strings which covers all the phone number
formats you might want to dial from a UK PSTN line? I'm programming
a Sipura-3000 VoIP phone,

Is there such a thing, or do you mean the SPA-3000 ATA

and I'm looking for a suitable dial plan
string. The phone uses something based on MEGACO and MGCP format
apparently. Here's a first stab at all the possibilities, but it's
sure to be incomplete and could do with further breakdown...

999 emergency
1xx. 112, 151, 141..., 1471..., etc.
0[123]xxxxxxxxx STD (not sure if '3' is used anywhere)

No it's not. But what about exchanges with 5 figures, you would need
0[12]xxxxxxxx. to cover this.

07xxxxxxxxx mobile, personal
[2-9]xxxxx local (in 01234, etc areas)

As above, some areas only have 5 digits. So [2-9]xxxx. is required

[2-9]xxxxxx local (in 0207, 0118, etc. areas)

Not in 02n areas (there is no such area as 0207) and 02n areas have 8
digits local numbers.

0[45689]x. Various things like 0500... and others I don't know

Currently there are no 04 and 06 numbers (nor 03 as mentioned above)

Old July 1st 05, 04:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom
David Floyd

In message of Fri, 1 Jul 2005, writes
In uk.telecom Andrew Gabriel wrote:
[2-9]xxxxx local (in 01234, etc areas)
[2-9]xxxxxx local (in 0207, 0118, etc. areas)

1. Didn't think any local numbers were supposed to start with 9... unless
anyone here knows different?

Most numbers in Bristol start with 9 e.g. 9xx yyyy although some start
with 3 e.g. 3xx yyyy

Old July 1st 05, 04:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
writes:
In uk.telecom Andrew Gabriel wrote:
[2-9]xxxxx local (in 01234, etc areas)
[2-9]xxxxxx local (in 0207, 0118, etc. areas)

1. Didn't think any local numbers were supposed to start with 9... unless
anyone here knows different?

The 9 has been used as extra number space since the withdrawal
of local area dialing codes. Actually Reading (0118) is a good
example -- all Reading 01734 numbers were prefixed with a 9
when Reading changed to 0118, so at that point, all local
Reading numbers started with a 9 (except for those Reading
numbers which had been temporarily allocated starting with
a '0' because 01734 had completely run out, as you mentioned
below).

2. For 0207 - surely you mean 020 with 8 local digits (relevant when
you block out initial 0, 1, 9 digits from the local part)?

Oops, yes. I should have known better.

3. What about these sneaky termination numbers such as 0118 0nn nnnn,
which I suppose someone might want to dial, but have to be treated a
All Figure Numbers?

My dial plan doesn't prevent dialling those, but you have to dial
0118 first, just the same as if you call Reading numbers starting '0'
from within Reading.

So applying Chris, Jet, and David's corrections, I now have...

999 emergency
1xx. 112, 151, 141..., 1471..., etc.
0[12]xxxxxxxxx STD with max local digits
01xxxxxxxx 01234 etc, with 5 digit local
07xxxxxxxxx mobile, personal
[2-9]xxxx local (in 01234, etc areas with 5 digit local)
[2-9]xxxxx local (in 01234, etc areas with 6 digit local)
[2-9]xxxxxx local (in 0118, etc areas)
[378]xxxxxxx local (in 020 area).
0[589]x. Various things like 0500... and others I don't know
00x. international
[*#]x. network services

--
Andrew Gabriel
Old July 1st 05, 05:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom
David Floyd

In message of Fri, 1 Jul 2005, Andrew Gabriel writes

So applying Chris, Jet, and David's corrections, I now have...

Can't understand the need for all this, but:

0[12]xxxxxxxxx STD with max local digits
01xxxxxxxx 01234 etc, with 5 digit local

Will there be a contradiction here? Why don't you simply use 0[12]x.

[2-9]xxxx local (in 01234, etc areas with 5 digit local)
[2-9]xxxxx local (in 01234, etc areas with 6 digit local)
[2-9]xxxxxx local (in 0118, etc areas)

Similarly with these, why not [2-9]x.

[378]xxxxxxx local (in 020 area).

What about other 02n areas?

Why make it so complicated?

David
Old July 1st 05, 06:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
David Floyd writes:
In message of Fri, 1 Jul 2005, Andrew Gabriel writes

So applying Chris, Jet, and David's corrections, I now have...

Can't understand the need for all this, but:

0[12]xxxxxxxxx STD with max local digits
01xxxxxxxx 01234 etc, with 5 digit local

Will there be a contradiction here? Why don't you simply use 0[12]x.

0[12]x. requires a long timeout to detect end of dialling, as the dial
plan gives no clue how long the number might be. In contrast, the first
of mine above requires no timeout as it's not ambigous, and the second
one requires a short timeout, as it's only ambigous with the first.

[2-9]xxxx local (in 01234, etc areas with 5 digit local)
[2-9]xxxxx local (in 01234, etc areas with 6 digit local)
[2-9]xxxxxx local (in 0118, etc areas)

Similarly with these, why not [2-9]x.

Same reason. I will only insert the ones relevant to the local
area, which means one, or two of them at most.

[378]xxxxxxx local (in 020 area).

What about other 02n areas?

What would they be?
But yes, I could just replace the [378] with an x and it would
then work for any 020 numbers which are the same length.

Why make it so complicated?

Well that's a good question. Actually, I have simplified parts
of it in practice (like merging mobiles into the STD codes as I
don't need to distinguish), but I would like to understand how
the number plan works, and it's been useful to have the errors
pointed out. I was also looking for an unused gap to slot in some
extra numbers for my use over IP, for which I'm currently grabbing
000[1-9]x.

Also just found that the 1xx. entry stops me directly dialling IP
addresses starting 192 (they seem to fall down a hole somewhere
and never succeed or fail, which I need to look into;-).

--
Andrew Gabriel
Old July 1st 05, 07:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom
David Floyd

In message of Fri, 1 Jul 2005, Andrew Gabriel writes
In article ,
David Floyd writes:

What about other 02n areas?

What would they be?

Portsmouth, Southampton, Coventry, Cardiff, Northern Ireland. All have 8
digit numbers with various 02n code numbers.

David