Old July 1st 05, 06:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
T.

I didn't realise there was an "easy" out-of-the-box type thing available
for Asterisk.

If I was to download this and attempt to get it working, does that mean
I can have multiple VoIP service providers into the server, with only
one ATA receiving all the incoming calls?

I assume for outgoing calls it's upto me to configure Asterisk.

My idea is to basically try out various service providers, while at the
same time learn more about VoIP and Asterisk.

I take it a standard PC will do with no additonal hardware cards (I'm
not interested in PSTN lines, just pure IP ones).

Advice appricated.
Thanks.
Old July 1st 05, 07:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ian

"T." wrote in message
I didn't realise there was an "easy" out-of-the-box type thing available
for Asterisk.

If I was to download this and attempt to get it working, does that mean
I can have multiple VoIP service providers into the server, with only
one ATA receiving all the incoming calls?

I assume for outgoing calls it's upto me to configure Asterisk.

My idea is to basically try out various service providers, while at the
same time learn more about VoIP and Asterisk.

I take it a standard PC will do with no additonal hardware cards (I'm
not interested in PSTN lines, just pure IP ones).

Advice appricated.
Thanks.

Yes.

But to learn about *, you should realy download the original version then
apply patchs as required and learn about the conf files. That way you will
get an understanding of how it fits together and a understanding of linux as
well.

Ian

Old July 1st 05, 10:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
T.

Ian wrote:
"T." wrote in message

I didn't realise there was an "easy" out-of-the-box type thing available
for Asterisk.

If I was to download this and attempt to get it working, does that mean
I can have multiple VoIP service providers into the server, with only
one ATA receiving all the incoming calls?

I assume for outgoing calls it's upto me to configure Asterisk.

My idea is to basically try out various service providers, while at the
same time learn more about VoIP and Asterisk.

I take it a standard PC will do with no additonal hardware cards (I'm
not interested in PSTN lines, just pure IP ones).

Advice appricated.
Thanks.

Yes.

Thanks for your reply.
Old July 1st 05, 11:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Phil Thompson

On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 17:23:00 +0100, "T."
wrote:

My idea is to basically try out various service providers, while at the
same time learn more about VoIP and Asterisk.

I take it a standard PC will do with no additonal hardware cards (I'm
not interested in PSTN lines, just pure IP ones).

I'm doing something similar. [email protected] would load on the PC so I
installed SuSE Linux then "proper" Asterisk.

I have the PC working, asterisk runs and I can ssh into it from home
and from my mobile phone. Now I'm reading an asterisk book and waiting
for an ATA to arrive.

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !
Old July 2nd 05, 02:04 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Martin²

T.:
My idea is to basically try out various service providers, while at the
same time learn more about VoIP and Asterisk.

You can try variety of VoIP providers with Xten Lite.
Regards,
Martin

Old July 2nd 05, 02:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ian

Default [email protected]

wrote in message
On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 11:04:40 +0100, David Wilson Clarke

On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 22:41:15 +0100, Phil Thompson
wrote:

I have the PC working, asterisk runs and I can ssh into it from home
and from my mobile phone. Now I'm reading an asterisk book and waiting
for an ATA to arrive.
Oh dear Phil Linux is a backward step Windows XP 64 bit is the way
forward !! )) .

Do Microsoft have anything that is 64bit yet?

Windows XP ! I am using a trial copy now and plan to buy it when it
goes on general sale at the end of the month

Ah well, Bill is playing catch up again. 64bit OSs including linux have been
around for some while now. Incuding 64bit cluster versions.

Ian

Old July 2nd 05, 03:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Phil Thompson

wrote:

Oh dear Phil Linux is a backward step Windows XP 64 bit is the way
forward !! )) .

will it run on a 32 bit Cyrix MII-333 MMX processor ? :-)

Phil
Old July 2nd 05, 08:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
dojodirectory.co.uk

I didn't realise there was an "easy" out-of-the-box type
thing available for Asterisk.

'easy' is not the word i would use to describe AAH

I have been staying up till all hours for the last week trying to get AAH to
work and my pstn fxo card hasnt even arrived from ebay yet.