BroadbanterBanter

BroadbanterBanter (http://www.broadbandbanter.co.uk/forum.php)
-   uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP) (http://www.broadbandbanter.co.uk/uk-telecom-voip-uk-voip/)
-   -   stress! (http://www.broadbandbanter.co.uk/21895-stress.html)

dojodirectory.co.uk July 2nd 05 08:53 PM

stress!

Maybe the following might help some poor soul troubleshoot their VOIP setup.

At the office
belkin router / budgetone 102 / sipgate account
today i picked up the phone in my office to find there was no dial tone.
needless to say, i couldnt make a call.
tried my puter and internet access was fine.
messed round for AGES and then i tried something that worked.
my belkin 7630 adsl modem is at 192.168.1.1 and my phone is on 192.168.1.52
the DMZ is set to 192.168.1.52 and it has been working fine since i bought
the phone.
I changed the DMZ to 192.168.1.51 (i.e. something other than it was) and
applied it.. still no dial tone.. changed it back to .52 and dial tone
appeared.
I tried dial tone immediately before and after this course of action so i
know this is what fixed it.
the solution took me at least an hour of checkin / messin before i found it.
i dont think my router is faulty.. all i do know is this voip stuff is
stressin me.

At Home
Linksys Router / Budgetone 102 / voiptalk account
No dial tone when on static ip
yes dial tone when on DHCP with same settings
why? stress!

comments welcome.

Andrew Gabriel July 3rd 05 02:29 AM

stress!

In article ,
"dojodirectory.co.uk" writes:

At Home
Linksys Router / Budgetone 102 / voiptalk account
No dial tone when on static ip
yes dial tone when on DHCP with same settings
why? stress!

When you change to static IP, are you still configuring the phone/ATA
through DHCP or are you disabling DHCP? If disabled DHCP, then it
may be that you are missing a number of the other parameters DHCP
typically configures on devices, such as netmask, gateway, domain
name, DNS servers, etc.

My ATA has a static IP, but I still configure it with DHCP since
that's an easy way of making sure it gets all the other configuration
info correctly. If I change something such as the DNS server, I
won't have to remember to update the ATA too (maybe just power cycle
it). The static IP for it is configured into the DHCP server, based
on its ethernet address.

--
Andrew Gabriel

dojodirectory.co.uk July 3rd 05 11:02 AM

stress!

info correctly. If I change something such as the DNS server, I
won't have to remember to update the ATA too (maybe just power cycle
it). The static IP for it is configured into the DHCP server, based
on its ethernet address.

--
Andrew Gabriel

ip address, default gateway, subnet mask and DNS servers all set to same as
would be by dhcp.

the reason i would prefer to use static ip is because in these cheap routers
there is no dhcp reservations option so you could use your ip address which
could make your service go down if you are relying on the DMZ setting
pointing to the phones IP