Which ports to open for VOIP (SIP)?

Old July 3rd 05, 10:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
James Fisher

Default Which ports to open for VOIP (SIP)?

Can someone tell me which ports are best left open for reliable SIP voip? I
know this may vary slightly from provider to provider, but could someone
just give me a general idea?

I want to try and cure a problem with someone elses system, but I need a
little advice on ports. Thanks

James Fisher

Old July 3rd 05, 10:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Phil Thompson

On Sun, 3 Jul 2005 10:46:25 +0100, "James Fisher"
wrote:

I want to try and cure a problem with someone elses system, but I need a
little advice on ports.

sipgate says :-

You must also forward the following ports on your router.
Port 5060 TCP and UDP
Port 5004 UDP
Port 10000 UDP (sipgate Stun service - usually 3478/9)
Ports 16348-32768 UDP (RTP, RTCP multimedia streaming)

though I think STUN normally operates on TCP and UDP port 3478

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !
Old July 4th 05, 10:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Phil Thompson

On Mon, 4 Jul 2005 09:13:36 +0100, "Paul D.Smith"
wrote:

STUN ensures that your phone opens ports as it needs them. You should not
need to open ANY ports yourself.

do you need to forward the incoming SIP port at the device, or does
STUN resolve that too when the phone registers.

Phil
Old July 4th 05, 01:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
James Fisher

wrote:

I want to try and cure a problem with someone elses system, but I need a
little advice on ports.

sipgate says :-

You must also forward the following ports on your router.

Port 5060 TCP and UDP
Port 5004 UDP

You don't happen to know what the above ports are for do you Phil? It's
just out of interest really.... You labelled the ones below, just wondered
what these ones above were for?

Someone also advised me to open ports:

'4800 - 5300 (TCP/UDP)'

and ports '8000 - 8012 (TCP/UDP)'

Do you have any idea what these are supposed to be open for either?

James Fisher

Old July 4th 05, 02:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Phil Thompson

On Mon, 4 Jul 2005 13:14:20 +0100, "James Fisher"
wrote:

You don't happen to know what the above ports are for do you Phil? It's
just out of interest really.... You labelled the ones below, just wondered
what these ones above were for?

the 5060 port is the SIP session control port. It then opens other
ports for the streams of voice data. I think suppliers and/or devices
differ in their choice of port ranges to use for the voice streams,
these are the high numbered ones AIUI.

Phil