IAX and SIP, whats the difference?

Old July 3rd 05, 02:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Eric Knowles

Default IAX and SIP, whats the difference?

Does anyone know the fundamental differences between IAX and SIP?, or indeed
what IAX and SIP stand for?

And finally, can I use an iax address with a sipura ATA? and if not, why
not?

Thanks
Eric

Old July 3rd 05, 02:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ian

"Eric Knowles" wrote in message
Does anyone know the fundamental differences between IAX and SIP?,

They are different protocols.

or indeed what IAX and SIP stand for?

Inter Asterisk eXchange

Session Initiation Protocol

And finally, can I use an iax address with a sipura ATA? and if not, why
not?

No, Hopefully you can work that out for yourself now

have a look at http://www.voip-info.org/tiki-index.php you will find all the
info you need there or google for SIP and IAX.

Thanks
Eric

Old July 3rd 05, 03:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Phil Thompson

On Sun, 3 Jul 2005 14:00:09 +0100, "Eric Knowles"
wrote:

Does anyone know the fundamental differences between IAX and SIP?

IAX is always on the same port, making firewalling /NATting it a
doddle. SIP is all over the shop and has STUN as an add-on to try and
tame it.

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !