Zoom X5V router

Old July 4th 05, 09:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Mark Ingle

Default Zoom X5V router

I recently purchased a Zoom X5V router which came preconfigured with the
GlobalVillage VOIP service. That worked fine for UK and US calls, except
the call quality to certain countries was unacceptable, and I thought it
was unsatisfactory for one to be charged for the time that the call was
being connected, which in certain cases was up to about half a minute!

I've looked though the list of UK providers at:
http://www.freeiptelephony.com/VOIPeu2.htm and thought that voipgate
looked promising as the international rates are reasonable and I would
like a US dial-in number.

However I can't get the Zoom working with other VOIP providers (I've
also tried setting up it for voipfone). I'm told that 'Most SIP devices
only require a minimum of uid/pwd/domain to work', but this doesn't seem
to be the case with the Zoom, or am I missing something.

Any ideas?
Old July 11th 05, 02:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
John Geddes

Mark Ingle wrote:
[...]

I got one working on Sipgate very easily - I'd equipped myself with
every setting under the sun (from my Sipura 2000 setup screens) and
found that it did indeed ask just for uid/pwd/domain, and worked first time.

John Geddes
Old July 12th 05, 01:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Martin²

Mark Ingle wrote:
I recently purchased a Zoom X5V router which came preconfigured with the
GlobalVillage VOIP service.

Is your locked to GlobalVillage ? Vonage does that with their Linksys kit.
Regards,
Martin

Old July 12th 05, 10:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Mark Ingle

Martin" wrote:
Is your locked to GlobalVillage ? Vonage does that with their Linksys kit.
Regards,
Martin

Thanks for your reply. Apparently it is not locked to GlobalVillage.
Incidentally, I have been rather unimpressed with GlobalVillage as I
raised a support ticket with them on the 27th of June; they supposedly
take up to three business days to respond but I still haven't had any
answer.

I have managed to find setup details for the Zoom X5V with Sipgate he

http://www.voipuser.org/forum_topic_1980.html

though SipGate is not really a suitable provider for me as I really want
a US phone number which I am happy to pay for. I have tried setting up a
free Sipgate account to test, but the account itself doesn't appear to
be working; although I have set up voicemail, when I dial the number
from a normal phone the number is constantly busy. My VOIP router says
'Registration Failed' which is not very helpful.

I did briefly look at Vonage, but for my use the monthly charges are too
expensive since I have no need for bundled local and national calls, and
I object to paying a cancellation fee.
Old July 12th 05, 10:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

Mark Ingle wrote:

[snip]

though SipGate is not really a suitable provider for me as I really
want a US phone number which I am happy to pay for. I have tried
setting up a free Sipgate account to test, but the account itself
doesn't appear to be working; although I have set up voicemail,
when I dial the number from a normal phone the number is constantly
busy. My VOIP router says 'Registration Failed' which is not very
helpful.

If you want a free US number that can be forwarded to any SIP account,
including Sipgate, try www.ipkall.com. The numbers are all in Washington
State (360) area code but they are genuinely free and work well.

You can get other area codes from other suppliers, but they usually cost
money and I'm a skinflint so free works for me..!!

Ivor

Old July 12th 05, 11:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Mark Ingle

As a follow-up to my own message, after much fiddling I've managed to
get the Zoom X5v working with voipfone.co.uk; it would appear the trick
is to also put the local sip port numbers into the sip proxy port and
oubound proxy port, ignoring the nat proxy numbers.
Old July 14th 05, 01:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ian Hopkins

Mark Ingle wrote:
As a follow-up to my own message, after much fiddling I've managed to
get the Zoom X5v working with voipfone.co.uk; it would appear the trick
is to also put the local sip port numbers into the sip proxy port and
oubound proxy port, ignoring the nat proxy numbers.

I've got a Zoom V3 which seems to have a very similar setup to the V5.
However, I cannot seem to be able to remove the settings for Gobal
Village. I have removed the tick for Auto Account Configuration and
over-written the account details, server addresses and ports but as soon
as I try and save my changes, most of the setup details revert to Global
Village again. Does anyone know if there is a way around this?

Ian