skype and bluetooth

Old July 4th 05, 10:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
F9

Default skype and bluetooth

I'm not sure this is feasible, but can you use a bluetooth headset with
skype?

Old July 4th 05, 11:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Joe Harrison

"F9" wrote in message
news:[email protected] eranews...
I'm not sure this is feasible, but can you use a bluetooth headset with
skype?

I had it working using a Nokia HDW-3 and a no-name USB dongle on my laptop,
but it is not very straightforward to configure. It works but it's very
frustrating to use in practice for actual calls.

I found I needed to upgrade from version 3 to version 4 of the Widcomm
chipset drivers. YMMV depending on what dongle you got but almost certainly
you will need to do this. It is not easy because of some bizarre reason I
fail to understand you have to license these drivers and they have some sort
of DRM protection in them. If you want to do it then follow the instructions
from Agent00Soul here because they do work:

http://forum.gsmhosting.com/vbb/arch.../t-108491.html

Once this is sorted out you need to configure Skype to use the Bluetooth
audio (easy), and every time you want to use the Bluetooth/Skype combo you
have to click on the "connect" menu provided by the Bluetooth software
installation.

Finally, you have now ended up with the equivalent of a wired (dumb)
headset, I mean you still have to click on things to make the call. It does
actually work, you can have a two-way call and you can move a (short)
distance away from your PC. There is a "Skypeheadset" project to create
gateway drivers to allow you more freedom to use the headset a bit more like
you do with mobile phone; read review at :

http://www.lordpercy.com/skype_headset_review.htm

To be honest though I found the entire Bluetooth/Skype thing just totally
more trouble than it was worth. I now have a DECT phone plugged into
SPA-3000 and this give me more mobility than headset did.

Joe

Old July 5th 05, 09:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
F9

"Joe Harrison" wrote in message

"F9" wrote in message
[...]

Thank for this. Some good food for thought.