056 numbers with VoIP

Old July 5th 05, 09:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
GwG

Default 056 numbers with VoIP

I have recently set up an Internet telephone VoIP service with Voipfone, and
been given a 0560******* number for incoming calls, the 056 numbers seem to
have been specifically introduced for Internet telephony services.

I can receive calls on this number from a BT line, and from some mobiles,
but not from an NTL line, (well not from a Nottingham NTL line, but
apparently it will work from other areas). When calling from my NTL line, as
soon as I enter the zero, after the 6, I just get a continuous beep, as if
the number is unobtainable.

When I contacted Voipfone, they told me that 0560 numbers are a recent
number allocation, (3 months ago I think), and that NTL will probably have
not enabled the exchange to accept them, so after checking that the number
was working with BT, and a mobile operator, they advised me to contact NTL.
I have since contacted NTL customer services about this, and after several
calls, and much discussion with various departments, they have now told me
that they are not going to enable 056 numbers, even though I pointed out
that according to research I had done through NTL newsgroups, they have
enabled them in other areas, such as Bracknell, Swindon, St. Albans,
Knebworth and Nuneaton, and that they are obliged by Ofcom to enable these
numbers in all areas.

The NTL representative was sympathetic, and seemed to agree with my
arguments, but said that he could not take the matter any further, as that
is what he had been told to advise me. Can NTL just refuse to enable these
numbers?

Old July 5th 05, 11:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"GwG" writes:

The NTL representative was sympathetic, and seemed to agree with my
arguments, but said that he could not take the matter any further, as that
is what he had been told to advise me. Can NTL just refuse to enable these
numbers?

Well, you can certainly take your business elsewhere,
just as others will when they find they can't dial
numbers they want to from an NTL line.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Old July 5th 05, 12:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
GwG

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
.. .
In article ,
"GwG" writes:

The NTL representative was sympathetic, and seemed to agree with my
arguments, but said that he could not take the matter any further, as
that
is what he had been told to advise me. Can NTL just refuse to enable
these
numbers?

Well, you can certainly take your business elsewhere,
just as others will when they find they can't dial
numbers they want to from an NTL line.

It is only with NTL type cable companies, that you can get broadband without
having to pay for telephone line rental, making VoIP through them a lot more
economical than through BT. Perhaps this is the reason for NTL's reluctance
to comply.

I have now contacted Ofcom about this, and they are taking a very serious
interest in the situation, and NTL's refusal to enable the numbers.

I have also contacted the local media, and they are also investigating.

Old July 5th 05, 12:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Mathew Curtis

"GwG" writes:

[...]

Weird i am with NTL and i can call my 0560 number without any problem
so i dont think its the fact they wont enable them i think the problem
is more a local issue my father was unable to call his 0560 number at
first he is also with ntl he contacted voipfone about it and now his
number works but if i am honest i have no idea what they done

Mat

Old July 5th 05, 12:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
GwG

"Mathew Curtis" wrote in message
oups.com...
GwG wrote:

[...]

I did a bit of research through the NTL newsgroups before I contacted NTL,
and it seems from a quick poll that 0560 numbers are accepted in Bracknell,
Swindon, St. Albans, Knebworth and Nuneaton, but not accepted in Nottingham,
Newport, (Sth. Wales), and Harlow, so they obviously have enabled some
areas.

I have now noticed that my old Orange mobile cannot get through to 0560
numbers, but calls from 3g do get through.

Is it any wonder that people get confused trying to set up VoIP, when there
are more hurdles than going 20 times around Aintree.

Old July 5th 05, 01:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Andrew Crane

"GwG" wrote in message
and that they are obliged by Ofcom to enable these
numbers in all areas.

I think you'll find they aren't. AFAIK, only BT has obligations in call
origination.

I'd phone voipphone and tell them to datafill the number range with the
other operators. It's down to them to make sure their numbers work with all
of the operators.

Regards
Andrew

--
Inweb Networks 01784494400 www.inweb.co.uk
www.rectel.co.uk -- record your phone calls and retrieve them online without

Old July 5th 05, 04:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
GwG

"Andrew Crane" wrote in message

"GwG" wrote in message
and that they are obliged by Ofcom to enable these
numbers in all areas.

I think you'll find they aren't. AFAIK, only BT has obligations in call
origination.

I'd phone voipphone and tell them to datafill the number range with the
other operators. It's down to them to make sure their numbers work with
all
of the operators.

I contacted Voipfone as soon as I realised that I could not receive 056
numbers from my NTL account, they checked my 056 number via BT, and I think,
Vodaphone, and those services worked OK, so they emailed NTL whilst I was
still on line to them to, explaining my problem. If NTL are prepared to tell
me over the phone that they are not going to enable 056 numbers, then I
don't suppose an email from Voipfone, or a datafill notice, (if I knew what
one of those was), would make much difference.

Ofcom have just got back to me, and said they have looked into it, but they
cannot force NTL to enable the 056 numbers. They also said that the 056
number range was allocated to Margarita sp.

Old July 5th 05, 04:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Linus Surguy

"Andrew Crane" wrote:

"GwG" wrote in message
and that they are obliged by Ofcom to enable these
numbers in all areas.

I think you'll find they aren't. AFAIK, only BT has obligations in call
origination.

I'd phone voipphone and tell them to datafill the number range with the
other operators. It's down to them to make sure their numbers work with all
of the operators.

However, in this particular case, NTL have refused to datafill any [more?] 056
numbers - this is something we are trying to resolve with NTL at the moment, as
no doubt are other operators who have been issued 056 numbering.

Linus

www.telesave.co.uk: UK 2.5p/1.5/1p South Africa 6p US,France,Germany,Eire 2.5p
Looking for VoIP ? We're the largest wholesale numbering supplier in the UK!
Old July 6th 05, 08:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
GwG

"Linus Surguy" wrote in message
"Andrew Crane" wrote:

However, in this particular case, NTL have refused to datafill any [more?]
056
numbers - this is something we are trying to resolve with NTL at the
moment, as
no doubt are other operators who have been issued 056 numbering.

This needs resolving very quickly. NTL's decision not to enable more
exchanges to accept 056 numbers, has made any 056 number worthless. This
does not only affect those on NTL that cannot dial those numbers, it also
affects those that have 056 numbers on other services, that get calls from
NTL's customers. It seems as if NTL don't agree with the 056 numbers, and
are disrupting the introduction of them to get their own way. I still cannot
see how it is acceptable for NTL to be allowed to do this.

Old July 7th 05, 07:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Albrow SJ

"GwG" wrote in message
and that they are obliged by Ofcom to enable these

Ofcom have just got back to me, and said they have looked into it, but
they cannot force NTL to enable the 056 numbers. They also said that the
056 number range was allocated to Margarita sp.

Interesting, do you know if BT Broadband Voice numbers work? Not all numbers
will be allocated to Margaretha - although if yours is then it might have
more weight coming from them - talk to linus perahaps - they do provide both
geo and these numbers for alot of voip companies, including sipgate.

---
If you have any queries regarding this email please contact Horshamnet on
08708811293.
Opinions are those of the sender only, you must not forward, copy, or quote
this email without permission.