Loads of failed calls via sipgate - I give up!

Old July 5th 05, 01:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Terry K

Default Loads of failed calls via sipgate - I give up!

After suffering with sipgate for some time now, I need a reliable service
for Voip, I have been with sipgate for several months hoping that they might
just get the service working reliably, but according to my callers, the
failed calls are getting more and more common. It's apparently quite
common now for them to have to try more than five times before they get a
successful connection. Messages such as 'The call cannot be connected' and
'Number unavailable tone' is commonplace these days most of the time. This
IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH. I think sipgate should get their act together and start
charging a fee if they have to, whatever it takes to make the service good.
But for me, I would never trust the service again. I have been testing this
morning and find that approximately one out of every three calls from my
other line fail to connect. What use is that? I don't care what all the
supporters are going to say, they obviosuly don't care about the poor
service and are happy to accept they are missing some calls I guess.
Perhaps they don't realise they are missing calls, or perhaps no-one hardly
ever calls them, in which case they wouldn't know that the service is so
poor! I suggest you start testing the service yourselves, and you`ll see how
hit and miss it really is. Furthermore, the voicemail still keeps throwing
up the German language prompts. This has been going on for ages and they
obviously have no intention of sorting that out either!

Anyone care to point me to a reliable voip service, I dont care what it
costs me, I need reliability, not stacks of failed calls everyday.

Terry

Old July 5th 05, 02:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Chris Blunt

On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 14:17:48 +0100, wrote:

On Tue, 5 Jul 2005 13:22:01 +0100, "Terry K"
wrote:

After suffering with sipgate for some time now, I need a reliable service
for Voip, I have been with sipgate for several months hoping that they might
just get the service working reliably, but according to my callers, the
failed calls are getting more and more common. It's apparently quite
common now for them to have to try more than five times before they get a
successful connection. Messages such as 'The call cannot be connected' and
'Number unavailable tone' is commonplace these days most of the time. This
IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH. I think sipgate should get their act together and start
charging a fee if they have to, whatever it takes to make the service good.

I could not agree with what you are saying here more I have given them
yards and yards of rope over the passed months and now I think the
time has come when they should hang themselves with it !!.
But for me, I would never trust the service again. I have been testing this
morning and find that approximately one out of every three calls from my
other line fail to connect. What use is that? I don't care what all the
supporters are going to say, they obviosuly don't care about the poor
service and are happy to accept they are missing some calls I guess.

This is the only conclusion I can come to also .
Furthermore, the voicemail still keeps throwing
up the German language prompts. This has been going on for ages and they
obviously have no intention of sorting that out either!

Not that voicemail from any provider really interests me one bit but
the carry on with Sipgate really isn't on they should either sort it
or take it out of service completely .
The one thing above all else about Spigate that really annoys me is
that the only way provided to contact them is by email .
Anyone care to point me to a reliable voip service, I dont care what it
costs me, I need reliability, not stacks of failed calls everyday.

Give Voipfone a go Terry I don't think you will be disappointed and
they are contactable by telephone on a 020 number I have not had one
problem with them in the three months or more I have been with them.
I am sorry Ivor but we all can't be wrong you continue to think that
sun shines out of their arses and believe all the excuses for the poor
service they provide if you want to but I have to say has with many
people in this country you are very easily satisfied some of us aren't
!!!!!!! .

We've been asked to be patient while Sipgate sort themselves out for
too long, and many people have lost confidence in them altogether now.
To use them for business would be the kiss of death for any company.
Using them for personal use may be ok if you're not bothered about
reliability. Ivor has often said he got involved with them mainly to
get some experience of playing around with VoIP, and that's about all
Sipgate seems to be good for at the moment.

The problem they now have is their reputation has become so tarnished
that they'll have a difficult time re-establishing their credibility
whatever they do. I don't have much confidence in Sipgate ever
becoming a successful operation in the UK

Chris

Old July 5th 05, 03:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Chris Blunt" wrote in message

[snip]

The problem they now have is their reputation has become so tarnished
that they'll have a difficult time re-establishing their credibility
whatever they do. I don't have much confidence in Sipgate ever
becoming a successful operation in the UK

Your opinion, to which you are of course entitled. You do have a point,
but they *will* get there. The vociferous few in this group are a
minority.

I don't propose to say any more, as I know I'm wasting my time.

Ivor

Old July 5th 05, 03:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
David Floyd

In message of Tue, 5 Jul 2005, Ivor Jones writes

"Chris Blunt" wrote in message
.. .

[snip]

The problem they now have is their reputation has become so tarnished
that they'll have a difficult time re-establishing their credibility
whatever they do. I don't have much confidence in Sipgate ever
becoming a successful operation in the UK

Your opinion, to which you are of course entitled. You do have a point,
but they *will* get there. The vociferous few in this group are a
minority.

Do you have figures to support that statement.

As far as I can see YOU are the only one who supports Sipgate at the
moment.

DF
Old July 5th 05, 04:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"David Floyd" wrote in message
In message of Tue, 5 Jul 2005, Ivor Jones writes

"Chris Blunt" wrote in message
. ..

[snip]

The problem they now have is their reputation has become so tarnished
that they'll have a difficult time re-establishing their credibility
whatever they do. I don't have much confidence in Sipgate ever
becoming a successful operation in the UK

Your opinion, to which you are of course entitled. You do have a point,
but they *will* get there. The vociferous few in this group are a
minority.

Do you have figures to support that statement.

Unfortunately not that can be published here, no.

As far as I can see YOU are the only one who supports Sipgate at the
moment.

I'm a minority in this group, same as everyone else ;-)

Ivor

Old July 5th 05, 04:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Chris Blunt" wrote in message

[snip]

The thing I like about you Dexter is you've always got such moderate,
balanced views on things ;-)

I've always held that people are entitled to their opinions and that they
should be free to express them, but the mention of Hitler and
concentration camps in relation to such a small thing as the failings of a
VoIP company have finally made me wash my hands of him.

And that poor Steve Mancour seemed such a nice chap.

He is, and he's doing his best as I said, but continually having a go
isn't going to help.

Ivor

Old July 5th 05, 04:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Terry K

wrote in message
On Tue, 5 Jul 2005 15:18:04 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
wrote:

Your opinion, to which you are of course entitled. You do have a point,
but they *will* get there.

Oh yes in the fullness of time when VOIP has been superseded by
something more efficient and involving less cost to the consumer .
The vociferous few in this group are a
minority.

But what about the people who don't post to news groups Ivor .
I don't propose to say any more, as I know I'm wasting my time.

You are while you persist in defending a company that has now proved
itself totally unworthy of defending .

Does Ivor have a personal interest in the company? Does he work for them?
I have just looked through the archive of posts in this newsgroup dating
back many a while and he appears to be the ONLY one defending and supporting
them? And for what, when they can't deliver the goods and you can't trust
the service to work properly and reliably. Is he on their payrole or
something?

Terry

Old July 5th 05, 04:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Terry K" wrote in message

[snip]

Does Ivor have a personal interest in the company?

Yes, but I have no intention of telling you what it is.

Does he work for them?

No.

Ivor

Old July 5th 05, 04:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
alex

"David Floyd" wrote in message
In message of Tue, 5 Jul 2005, Ivor Jones writes

"Chris Blunt" wrote in message
.. .

[snip]

The problem they now have is their reputation has become so tarnished
that they'll have a difficult time re-establishing their credibility
whatever they do. I don't have much confidence in Sipgate ever
becoming a successful operation in the UK

Your opinion, to which you are of course entitled. You do have a point,
but they *will* get there. The vociferous few in this group are a
minority.

Do you have figures to support that statement.

As far as I can see YOU are the only one who supports Sipgate at the
moment.

DF

And me! So we can make that two!

I'm aware Ivor seems to view sipgate through rose tinted specs, but at the
moment they seem to be doing fine for me. I only use it for a personal line-
I'm in a shared house with no landline and bad mobile signal so use it for
long calls when I don't want to sit on the edge of the bath in the loft
conversion to get mobile reception, or at peak time when my mobile costs
35p/min to call a landline. It does have some outages, however a majority of
the time I'm contactable through my landline number and outgoing calls are
good. Calling 50000 for voicemail is a bit dodgy, but the few messages that
people leave me always get forwarded to my email account, in english
Considering the amount of money they've had off me (only a few quid) I am
very happy in what I get in return. I have only ever experienced a few
outages when people want to call me, and whenever error reports get posted
here and I check mine it seems to be fine. Never had a complaint about
callers not being able to get through. I never normally tinkle or 'test' my
line much as there doesn't seem much point, but I just tried calling my
number 5 times from my mobile and every time it rang. I have had complaints
about my voice jittering, but thats because my ata has an appauling
interpretation of QOS and doesnt seem to throttle (or more preferably
strangle) the amount of bandwidth avaliable to other p2p hogs in my house
down at all when I'm on the phone!

In summary (at last!) I think sipgate do a good job considering the small
omount of cash they get in, and I'm more than satisfied with their service.
If I want a 99.99% reliable line, I'd actually spend £10 a month on a
landline as VOIP is still to steady itself technologically. Its all there in
theory, it all just needs a bit more in practise.

Alex