Sipgate "Another little problem"

Old July 6th 05, 11:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Josh!

Default Sipgate "Another little problem"

wrote in message
news
Just tried to log into my two Sipgate accounts and I got this
message...
" can't connect to sql server"

Yep same here.

Infact I got another error the first time, it said 'Please enable cookies in
your browser'
I checked and they were enabled.

Second time I tried I got the same error you got 'can't connect to sql
server'

Old July 7th 05, 12:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Josh!" wrote in message

wrote in message
news
Just tried to log into my two Sipgate accounts and I got this
message...
" can't connect to sql server"

Yep same here.

Infact I got another error the first time, it said 'Please enable
cookies in your browser'
I checked and they were enabled.

Second time I tried I got the same error you got 'can't connect to sql
server'

Same here. Looks like a website problem, the phones are working ok.

Have you sent an email to support..? The sooner people tell them the
sooner someone will fix it..!

Ivor

Old July 7th 05, 12:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

wrote in message
On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 00:00:06 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
wrote:

Have you sent an email to support..? The sooner people tell them the
sooner someone will fix it..!

Can't be bothered Ivor has I have said I have given up on Sipgate now
I only found out about this problem due to getting a call at teatime
the second one I had one on the other line last Friday and has soon
has I picked up the phone the line was dead . I checked the number on
the phone called directory enquiries and found out the code is
basingstoke
I was only going into my account to get the number again has I intend
looking into this further I did ring the number and a recorded message
said you where called by " Telefurgus or some such name" on behalf of
one of their clients we will call again .

If nobody reports it they won't know the problem exists.

Ivor

Old July 7th 05, 07:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Chris Blunt

On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 00:54:25 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Have you sent an email to support..? The sooner people tell them the
sooner someone will fix it..!

Can't be bothered Ivor has I have said I have given up on Sipgate now
I only found out about this problem due to getting a call at teatime
the second one I had one on the other line last Friday and has soon
has I picked up the phone the line was dead . I checked the number on
the phone called directory enquiries and found out the code is
basingstoke
I was only going into my account to get the number again has I intend
looking into this further I did ring the number and a recorded message
said you where called by " Telefurgus or some such name" on behalf of
one of their clients we will call again .

If nobody reports it they won't know the problem exists.

The would if they had proper systems in place to monitor their own
network.

This seems to be part of Sipgate's failing. When network problems
arise during a weekend, nobody seems to be aware that anything is
wrong until they come in for work on Monday morning. A professional
telecoms company would have network management systems to alerts their
engineers to fix things before the users becomes aware of it.

Chris

Old July 7th 05, 08:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
GwG

"Chris Blunt" wrote in message

This seems to be part of Sipgate's failing. When network problems
arise during a weekend, nobody seems to be aware that anything is
wrong until they come in for work on Monday morning. A professional
telecoms company would have network management systems to alerts their
engineers to fix things before the users becomes aware of it.

When I worked in telephone exchanges, if a call failed 3 times, (if I
remember correctly), an engineer would be automatically alerted that there
was a problem, and that was over 30 years ago.

Old July 7th 05, 09:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"GwG" wrote in message

"Chris Blunt" wrote in message

This seems to be part of Sipgate's failing. When network problems
arise during a weekend, nobody seems to be aware that anything is
wrong until they come in for work on Monday morning. A professional
telecoms company would have network management systems to alerts their
engineers to fix things before the users becomes aware of it.

When I worked in telephone exchanges, if a call failed 3 times, (if I
remember correctly), an engineer would be automatically alerted that
there was a problem, and that was over 30 years ago.

With ordinary lines it's physical wires which are easier to trace faults
on. With VoIP it's a virtual circuit so if something fails it's not so
easy to find the fault.

Ivor

Old July 7th 05, 11:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Stuart Henderson

With ordinary lines it's physical wires which are easier to trace
faults on. With VoIP it's a virtual circuit so if something fails it's not
so easy to find the fault.

sip and sdp are pretty easy to read in a packet trace (I wish sipgate
would stop advertising codecs in sdp that they don't support...), and
it's easy enough to see whether the internet routing is working.

With ordinary lines, individual calls are still bundled together and
different calls can take different routes according to software
decisions, so it's not like you can just follow the wires. I wouldn't
have thought it's so different to tracing a VoIP call (especially on a
modern network).

Couldn't register with sipgate this morning, 6.45 to 8.37 (first with
500 error, then changed to timeout). Some problems registering 9.18 and
9.38. No reg failures for nearly a week before that though, so it's
better than it has been... I don't remember ever getting an actual
reply to emails I've sent them (did get auto-replies though, sometimes
after a bit longer delay than expected), so I can't see much point
sending them any more.

Looked like inbound via Magrathea was semi-broken earlier too, since
inbound to both Gradwell and Sipgate were failing NU about half the
time (at least from 0140481 BT to 0140459), but seems to be ok again
now (I'm much more likely to notice a problem with registering to
sipgate though, since they're scribbled all over the * console).

Old July 7th 05, 12:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Stuart Henderson" wrote in message
ups.com...

[snip]

Couldn't register with sipgate this morning, 6.45 to 8.37 (first with
500 error, then changed to timeout). Some problems registering 9.18 and
9.38. No reg failures for nearly a week before that though, so it's
better than it has been... I don't remember ever getting an actual
reply to emails I've sent them (did get auto-replies though, sometimes
after a bit longer delay than expected), so I can't see much point
sending them any more.

Looked like inbound via Magrathea was semi-broken earlier too, since
inbound to both Gradwell and Sipgate were failing NU about half the
time (at least from 0140481 BT to 0140459), but seems to be ok again
now (I'm much more likely to notice a problem with registering to
sipgate though, since they're scribbled all over the * console).

There was a problem overnight but it's ok now. There's an announcement on
the website.

Ivor

Old July 7th 05, 03:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ian

wrote in message
On Thu, 07 Jul 2005 14:40:22 +0800, Chris Blunt
wrote:

This seems to be part of Sipgate's failing. When network problems
arise during a weekend, nobody seems to be aware that anything is
wrong until they come in for work on Monday morning. A professional
telecoms company would have network management systems to alerts their
engineers to fix things before the users becomes aware of it.

even the simplest SNMP manager would help them.

Chris

The point is Sipgate are trying to run the whole UK operation on the
cheap that is why when you report something the answer always comes
from one man . Now you just cannot expect one man to work 24/7 so it
is inevitable when this one man isn't working and the system fails in
some way it will stay in that state until the one man returns to work.
On two occasions on two separate weekends not very long ago when the
system failed it stayed down for all of the weekends why because ALL
of the Sipgate staff had cleared off to some exhibitions or something
and said to hell with our customers .

This is what i find quite strange, no company how ever small lets systems
fall over and not respond. they must have scripts running to check that all
processes are running OK, Its not hard even the newest of sysadmins can
cobble up a script to do that. then all they need to do is ssh in from a pda
or laptop And if the system is on its back then hopfully the RAS box lets
them reboot the system.

Now if has Ivor suggests Sipgate have thousands of SATISFIED customers
in Germany

Well they didnt want to publish those numbers though, as a recent survey
showed. Most other mainland Europe and US suppliers gave their user numbers
Sipgate didnt.

Ian

Old July 7th 05, 04:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ian

wrote in message
On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 15:00:23 +0100, "Ian" spam"AT"bathfordhill.co.uk
wrote:

Well they didnt want to publish those numbers though, as a recent survey
showed. Most other mainland Europe and US suppliers gave their user

numbers
Sipgate didnt.

Sipgate won't say anything about anything Ian or is it that Sipgate is
being run by a bunch of part timers who haven't got a clue what they
are doing . It was when they all ran off for a boozy weekend and left
us all to sink or swim that I first started to have my doubts about
Sipgate's reliability .

Boozy weekends are no excuse... Having had to ssh into systems from my pda
or talk people through resetting systems at all times and locations, being
at a show is no excuse.

Ian