Any UK Vonage Users?

Old July 7th 05, 06:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Dave Topping ([email protected])

Default Any UK Vonage Users?

Hi

Any UK Vonage Users?

What are your comments on the service?

--
Dave Topping
newsatuk.davetopping.com
Old July 7th 05, 06:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ian

wrote in message
Hi

Any UK Vonage Users?

What are your comments on the service?

Hi Dave.

Im not a user but there is a review in todays Guardian. comparing Vonage,
Voipbuster and skype. The gist about vonage was its a good service.

Ian

Old July 7th 05, 06:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Don Carter

On Thu, 07 Jul 2005 18:09:42 +0100, "Dave Topping
)" wrote:

Hi

Any UK Vonage Users?

What are your comments on the service?

I take it you've seen the incredibly cheap router/ata at Staples?

Don
Old July 7th 05, 06:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

)" wrote:

Hi

Any UK Vonage Users?

What are your comments on the service?

I take it you've seen the incredibly cheap router/ata at Staples?

Don

No!

I'll have a look, though.

--
Dave Topping
newsatuk.davetopping.com
Old July 7th 05, 08:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Don Carter

)" wrote:

Hi

Any UK Vonage Users?

What are your comments on the service?

I take it you've seen the incredibly cheap router/ata at Staples?

Don

No!

I'll have a look, though.

About £30 for Netgear router/ata, branded as vonage, so I assume it's
locked to them
Old July 7th 05, 08:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
John Blessing

wrote in message
Hi

Any UK Vonage Users?

What are your comments on the service?

--
Dave Topping
newsatuk.davetopping.com
Voicemail: +44 (0) 701 7000 913

Had it about a month, quality is excellent, routing/diversion options are v.
flexible, service is reliable so far, website works a treat, their suport is
pretty good as well. The £30 router with 2 phone ports from Staples is
locked to Vonage, but it works v. well and plugged into my Wireless Linksys
router without any problems.

--
John Blessing

businesses
for your meeting/class over the web.

Old July 8th 05, 01:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Martin²

I take it you've seen the incredibly cheap router/ata at Staples?

Beware, that ata is locked to Vonage. You can buy the same Linksys PAP2 from
the likes of broabandbuyer.co.uk for ~£35.
Why pay monthly rental to Vonage, when you can have FREE calls to anywhere
civilised from Voipbuster ?
OK, the service isn't totally reliable, but for FREE I can put up with
little inconvenience.
Regards,
Martin

Old July 8th 05, 01:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
John Blessing

"Martin²" wrote in message
I take it you've seen the incredibly cheap router/ata at Staples?

Beware, that ata is locked to Vonage. You can buy the same Linksys PAP2
from the likes of broabandbuyer.co.uk for ~£35.
Why pay monthly rental to Vonage, when you can have FREE calls to anywhere
civilised from Voipbuster ?
OK, the service isn't totally reliable, but for FREE I can put up with
little inconvenience.
Regards,
Martin

IMO the price of reliability is well worth 9.99 month.

Also you don't pay the 16.99 vonage activation fee if you buy the vonage
router.

--
John Blessing

Old July 8th 05, 07:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
NoSpam

Had it about a month, quality is excellent, routing/diversion
options are v.
flexible, service is reliable so far, website works a treat, their
suport is
pretty good as well. The £30 router with 2 phone ports from Staples
is
locked to Vonage, but it works v. well and plugged into my Wireless
Linksys
router without any problems.

Have you got a link to Staples web site with this product or do you
need to go in store?

Have you got a link for the router so I can read up on technical
details?

Do you connect the Staples router to your existing router or vice
versa?

TIA

Old July 8th 05, 09:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Nig

NoSpam wrote:

Have you got a link for the router so I can read up on technical
details?

STBI, but it's a Linksys RT31P2 Router - Cable/DSL Router (not suitable
for ADSL unless you have an Ethernet Modem, but will work with an NTL ot
Blueyonder service)), with 3 Port Switch and two RJ11 Sockets. It has
the usual Linksys router functions, such as DHCP, NAT etc.. This side of
things looks identical to my Linky BEFSR41 router so I don't see any
issues with this.

It's locked to Vonage and gives no access to the phone set-up until you
register with them and as I haven't registered I've no idea what
services are available. Reading the blurb, however, it sounds like a
standard Vonage 9.99ukp per month Vonage service.

Do you connect the Staples router to your existing router or vice
versa?

I contacted Vonage about this and they reckon their service would work
behind NAT, so I think it will work if you connect it to an existing
router. You cannot turn NAT off on the router tho' so any devices you
connect to the LAN ports will be on a different subnet to any existing
one you have, I believe.

I haven't tried installing the one I bought, so I haven't tried it out
(I'm intending taking it back to Staples tomorrow) mainly because I
would have liked the opportunity to try out the phone service before
signing up for ten quid a month on my CC but this appears not to be
possible unfortunately. I have no doubt that it would work very well as
a router.

HTH,

Nig