POTS IP bridge

Old July 8th 05, 11:52 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.voip
Rupert

Default POTS IP bridge

Is there anyway to bridge a POTS line over IP? By that I mean a way of
extending the line from A to B over an IP network?

Something like having an FXO ATA at one end and an FXS at the other, and
then configuring them to talk to one another?

Could do it with an asterisk, I suppose - but I was thinking of a more
solid-state, seamless solution. Almost like an IP extension lead - something
simple as that...

TIA

Rupert

Old July 9th 05, 12:30 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.voip
Phil Bridges

Not sure what an FXO or FXS is so maybe I'm not upstanding the question
properly but in case am my Sipura 3000 is supposed to that although I've
never tried it. Means I could dial into it from the PSTN and it would
gateway me back out over VOIP

Phil Bridges

Old July 9th 05, 09:26 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.voip
stephen

"Rupert" wrote in message
Is there anyway to bridge a POTS line over IP? By that I mean a way of
extending the line from A to B over an IP network?

yes

Something like having an FXO ATA at one end and an FXS at the other, and
then configuring them to talk to one another?

done this on cisco routers with voice interfaces - FXO in other countries
back to a PBX in London

must be LAN to voice interfaces around - cisco ATAs spring to mind.

if all you want is a phone at 1 end, then you might as well use an IP
phone - signalling and IP encap should be the same.

We had to analog each end so that the london switch would do all the call
barring etc - present calls on ISDN and some kit assumes all that is done at
the 1st hop into digital domain.

Could do it with an asterisk, I suppose - but I was thinking of a more
solid-state, seamless solution. Almost like an IP extension lead -

something
simple as that...

we used routers since they had to be there anyway to drive the corporate
WAN.

TIA

Rupert

--
Regards

Old July 10th 05, 12:49 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.voip
Thomas Sandford

Followups set to uk.telecom.voip...
"Rupert" wrote in message
Is there anyway to bridge a POTS line over IP? By that I mean a way of
extending the line from A to B over an IP network?

Something like having an FXO ATA at one end and an FXS at the other, and
then configuring them to talk to one another?

Could do it with an asterisk, I suppose - but I was thinking of a more
solid-state, seamless solution. Almost like an IP extension lead -
something
simple as that...

Yup FXS+FXO will do what you want.

I do exactly this with 2 Sipura SPA-3000s (actually you could do it with a
3000 at one end and a 1000 or 2000 series at the other, but I wanted FXO and
FXS at both ends for other reasons).

--
Thomas Sandford