Interested in VOIP

Old July 9th 05, 10:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Andrew Hodgson

Default Interested in VOIP

Hi,

I am using Skype every now and again but want to get freed from this
and use something different. I could go with a non-specific software
package, but would rather use hardware not tied to my machine(s). I
am thus looking at ATA equipment which will plug into my existing
system, the machine will be given its own IP address, but don't need a
router or anything.

I have looked at software such as Asterisk but it is weigh ott for my
requirements (I only have a few DECT units on the line, and would want
the VOIP stuff to be separate from this).

I will start with just making free calls to other VOIP users, but
would want to allow cheap calls to be made over the line (usually for
a long period), which would mean that the analog line would be free
for incoming calls for example when my sister wishes to make a long
call to her friends.

It is usually my tack to start off small but then start adding stuff
later on, so any ideas?

Thanks.
Andrew.
My Email: use andrew at hodgsonfamily dot org.
Old July 9th 05, 10:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Andrew Hodgson" wrote in message
[...]

If you just want to experiment without committing yourself, get a free
account from Sipgate (www.sipgate.co.uk) and try X-Lite, the software
phone. A lot of people on this group have issues with Sipgate in terms of
reliability, but for testing the waters it is ideal. You may prefer to use
a different provider afterwards, but it's up to you.

Regarding ATA's, it is generally held that the Sipura range are among the
best and most reliable. See www.sipura.com for details of their range.

Ivor

My Email: use andrew at hodgsonfamily dot org.

Old July 10th 05, 07:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

wrote in message
On Sat, 9 Jul 2005 22:30:35 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
wrote:

A lot of people on this group have issues with Sipgate in terms of
reliability,

To right we have and with good reason and I am pleased to see that you
have finally recognized and accepted this fact Ivor .

I accept that people have issues. I do not accept that they are rubbish as
you so often say. They will come good.

Ivor

Old July 10th 05, 11:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Thomas Rankin

wrote:

A lot of people on this group have issues with Sipgate in terms of
reliability,

To right we have and with good reason and I am pleased to see that you
have finally recognized and accepted this fact Ivor .

I accept that people have issues. I do not accept that they are rubbish as
you so often say. They will come good.

Ivor

I'm surprised people are having problems with them, They've been rock
solid here.
Old July 10th 05, 11:38 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thus spaketh Thomas Rankin:

wrote:

A lot of people on this group have issues with Sipgate in terms of
reliability,

To right we have and with good reason and I am pleased to see that
you have finally recognized and accepted this fact Ivor .

I accept that people have issues. I do not accept that they are
rubbish as you so often say. They will come good.

Ivor

I'm surprised people are having problems with them, They've been rock
solid here.

I've had one or two problems, nothing major, I would still happily recommend
them.

Old July 10th 05, 11:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Terry

"Thomas Rankin" wrote in message

wrote:

A lot of people on this group have issues with Sipgate in terms of
reliability,

To right we have and with good reason and I am pleased to see that you
have finally recognized and accepted this fact Ivor .

I accept that people have issues. I do not accept that they are rubbish
as you so often say. They will come good.

Ivor

I'm surprised people are having problems with them, They've been rock
solid here

P*ss take perhaps?
..

Old July 10th 05, 06:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Nick

wrote in message
On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 07:42:54 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
wrote:

I accept that people have issues. I do not accept that they are rubbish

as
you so often say. They will come good.

Ivor Sipgate have a lot of "small"problems with their service and they
just do not seem to be addressing these " small" problems and getting
them sorted . Has I have said before Sipgate seem to like plunging
headlong into something new before sorting out the basics going back
to when I first signed up there was a spate of the service going down
at weekends but in between fixing this they introduced the useless
( has it is at the moment ) voicemail . Even now they still have not
fixed the problem of the service going down periodically or the one
way audio and other things so why for gods sake bring on the voicemail
project before the basic phone service is operating has it should be .
To sum up Sipgate are trying to get to big to quickly and are not
prepared to spend money in their attempt to do so and this kind of
thinking is going to be their downfall . I am beginning to wonder in
light of their actions ( or lack of ) regarding the UK service if the
German service was working flawlessly before they had the brainwave
of infiltrating the UK telecom's market.

I take it English isn't your first language and therefore wonder if you
fully understand how to set up the various options. (Clearly German
isn't your native tongue either else you'd be offering a translation
service)

Old July 11th 05, 04:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Lee

[...]

All I can offer is the results of my own experience:

I started with a free voipfone account to which I added some incoming UK
geographic telephone numbers - one in London and one local to my mother in
Derbyshire [this allows her to call me in London for the price of a local
call]. I also added an incoming Spanish number for someone on the Costa del
Sol to call me local call charges but this was from another supplier
[gradwell.net].

I use a Sipura ATA adaptor which has worked flawlessly behind an ipcop.org
firewall and a small 8-port network switch.

Since our low-key start our extended family now has SIP accounts through
Sipura boxes in UK, Turkey, the Phillipines and USA [most through voipfone -
e.g. local London number points to grandparents' VoIP phone in Istanbul!
:-) ] and this is where VoIP really comes into its own - free international
calls between family members who can talk without worrying about the bills.
Non-VoIP-enabled relatives can call long distance for local call rates.

Voipfone sell bundles of 500 minutes or pay as you go for about 1p per
minute to 35 countries including the USA and Spain.

The only technical problems experienced have been specific to the type of
Broadband Modem/Routers in place - a Speedtouch [solved] and a Draytek
[still a problem, awaiting firmware upgrade] and are not related to the VoIP
hardware or supplier.

Voipfone's billing system is a little strange but I gather that earlier
wrinkles are now ironed out.