Fritz!Box Fon anyone?

Old July 10th 05, 07:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Alan Foster

Default Fritz!Box Fon anyone?

Hi

I havn't seen a single post yet about the Fritz!Box Fon. I got one to
try, but calls made through it - even straight to the POTS - suffer from
echo. There also seems to be a little attenuation, but it's mainly the
echo I object to.

I have gone back to the BugeTone phone. The quality of that is superb,
I'm just disappointed that I can't integrate my DECT phones into VoIP.

I know there are other options out there, but I have already spent quite
enough on what is after all an immature and less than totally reliable
service.

If anyone has any knowledge on how to get the FritzBox to do a decent job,
I would be grateful. If anyone can catagorically state from personal
experience that it is a heap of junk that will never give me what I want,
then I will still be grateful (and p***ed off), as at least I can feel
good about not wasting my time as well as my money!!

Alan.
Old July 11th 05, 12:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Philippe Deleye

I havn't seen a single post yet about the Fritz!Box Fon.

Indeed, the Fritz!Box is not a favourite in the UK. However, in Germany it
is.
Every 2dn treat in the german Voip newsgroup is about this device
see: news:://de.comm.internet.telefonie

If anyone has any knowledge on how to get the FritzBox to do a decent job,
I would be grateful. If anyone can catagorically state from personal
experience that it is a heap of junk that will never give me what I want,
then I will still be grateful (and p***ed off)

in Germany most of the users are very happy with this allround device:
adsl modem + router + ISDN PBX + Voip gateway in one

Old July 11th 05, 02:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Alan Foster" wrote in message
news[email protected]
[...]

I will be getting one in a few days, I'll let you know how I get on. Apart
from the voice quality, how do you find it..? Was it easy to configure..?

Ivor

Old July 11th 05, 02:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Martin²

Alan Foster:
If anyone can catagorically state from personal experience that it is a
heap of junk

Can't say that, but I can tell you I looked at it and rejected it as they
haven't got a wireless version.
I bought Zyxel 2602HWL, which has two VoIP ports that can dial on PSTN line
and it works just fine. Unfortunately broadbandbuyer.co.uk now corrected
their price, so isn't cheap anymore :-(
Regards,
Martin

Old July 11th 05, 12:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Henry F III

Hello,

The MAIN reason that it might NOT work ok is because you probably have the
German version or an old UK version that ONLY has the g711 codec.

In Germany AVM ONLY focusses on the g711 codec.

The new UK version also has the g729 codec but you can ONLY use that on ONE
channel at the same time.

Please check http://www.xeloq.com

They seem to know what they are talking about; and let me return my
Fritz!Box through them......they have much more VoIP products and even
suggested me to get some other brand. The Dutch website (Producten =
Products) lists a lot.....but they got more -- just send them an email.

Very good service at Xeloq. Prices also good and quality - very good. I am a
customer there for 1,5 year.....

Henry

wrote in message
On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 19:40:53 +0100, "Alan Foster"
wrote:

I know there are other options out there, but I have already spent quite
enough on what is after all an immature and less than totally reliable
service.

To which provider are you are you attributing your above statement
Alan they aren't all tarred with the same brush you know .
If anyone can catagorically state from personal
experience that it is a heap of junk that will never give me what I want,
then I will still be grateful (and p***ed off), as at least I can feel
good about not wasting my time as well as my money!!

This box of junk has you call it wasn't supplied by a German sip
provider by any chance !.

Old July 11th 05, 01:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Ivor Jones" wrote in message

[...]

Well I've just received my Fritz!Box Fon this morning and after a little
confusion I have set it up and it seems to work fine.

The only gripe I have is the dial tone sounds like NU tone and the ringing
tone sounds like busy tone. Is there a way to alter the tones..? I can't
find it if there is. Apart from that I'm quite pleased.

Ivor

Old July 11th 05, 02:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Martin²" wrote in message
Alan Foster:
If anyone can catagorically state from personal experience that it is a
heap of junk

Can't say that, but I can tell you I looked at it and rejected it as
they haven't got a wireless version.
I bought Zyxel 2602HWL, which has two VoIP ports that can dial on PSTN
line and it works just fine. Unfortunately broadbandbuyer.co.uk now
corrected their price, so isn't cheap anymore :-(
Regards,
Martin

According to their website, they will be bringing out a wireless version
soon, if it isn't already available.

See www.avm.de/en for info.

Old July 11th 05, 07:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Alan Foster

wrote:

I know there are other options out there, but I have already spent quite
enough on what is after all an immature and less than totally reliable
service.

To which provider are you are you attributing your above statement
Alan they aren't all tarred with the same brush you know .

I am not tarring anyone - I stand by what is a true statement about VoIP
in general. I accept that there are some organisations that give better
service than others, and there are some that offer better cost
effectiveness. As with all technologies (mobile phones/broadband/DVD
recorders etc) it takes some time for the product to mature and costs to
stabilise to reasonable levels. The journey up to this point is not for
the feint-hearted, or those that are not willing to invest some time and
money without guarantee. This journey will only satisfy those who are
willing to accept that there is still a way to go, and who are happy to
make what positive contribution they can in order to help with the
development and adoption of the technology.

If anyone can catagorically state from personal
experience that it is a heap of junk that will never give me what I
want,
then I will still be grateful (and p***ed off), as at least I can feel
good about not wasting my time as well as my money!!

This box of junk has you call it wasn't supplied by a German sip
provider by any chance !.

Read again - I did not say it was a box of junk - nor indeed did I say it
was a heap of junk - I asked if anyone else could call it that from
personal experience!

Like most others on this newsgroup, I am only interested in
positive/qualified/intelligent contributions for the benefit of
like-minded people. I am too mature to join in your hate campaign. As
Thumper said: 'If you can't say something nice - don't say anything at
all'.

Fortunately, I see that there are several positive replies to my post so
if you will excuse me, I will move on to them now.

Alan.

Old July 11th 05, 07:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Alan Foster

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 13:18:03 +0200, Henry F III
wrote:

[...]

Thanks for that Henry. I wondered if it might be a codec thing - it seems
plausible.

I will check out the link tonight.

Regards
Alan.
Old July 11th 05, 08:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Alan Foster

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 01:06:48 +0200, Philippe Deleye
wrote:

Indeed, the Fritz!Box is not a favourite in the UK. However, in Germany
it
is.
Every 2dn treat in the german Voip newsgroup is about this device
see: news:://de.comm.internet.telefonie

in Germany most of the users are very happy with this allround device:
adsl modem + router + ISDN PBX + Voip gateway in one

Thanks Philippe. I guess Henry's post may have hit the nail on the head.
If Germany and the UK are using different codecs, it could explain why
Germans are happy and I am not.

I shall do some more research into this.

Regards
Alan.