Which ATA to use

Old July 12th 05, 11:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Angus Comber

Default Which ATA to use

Hello

I am running an Asterisk, fairly recent version, connected to PSTN. I only
use IP Phones but now want to connect a fax machine to the *. Plus may want
to also connect the odd analog phone. People seem to rave about Sipura.
How are they better than Grandstream?

Basically, some pointers on which to use and why would be really helpful.

Angus

Old July 12th 05, 12:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

Angus Comber wrote:
Hello

I am running an Asterisk, fairly recent version, connected to PSTN.
I only use IP Phones but now want to connect a fax machine to the
*. Plus may want to also connect the odd analog phone. People
seem to rave about Sipura. How are they better than Grandstream?

A lot, when it comes to build quality and facilities available.

Having said that, you should be aware that fax isn't really supported on
most VoIP connections. It may work, it may not, but it isn't guaranteed.

Basically, some pointers on which to use and why would be really
helpful.

Try http://voxilla.com for a lot of useful info.

Ivor

Old July 12th 05, 06:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
JuliusP

You would be better off using a Digium X100p card, which is an FXO
card, as Ivor states, trying to use VOIP devices for fax is rather hit
and miss

Old July 12th 05, 09:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ian

"JuliusP" wrote in message
oups.com...
You would be better off using a Digium X100p card, which is an FXO
card, as Ivor states, trying to use VOIP devices for fax is rather hit
and miss

The X101p and X100p are as you correctly said are FXO this is for connecting
to the PSTN not to alog devices, To do this you need either an ATA or a
digium TDM400 card with FXS modules.

Personaly i have deployed fax using Cisco ATAs and Hylafax, and the fax
being detected by * and passed over. I have found as long as you lock the
fax server or machine to a max of 9600 it works without a problem.

As to ATAs you pays your money and takes your choice. various ones are built
to a price point, sipuras new range a now in all plastic so wont have the
"quality" feel that the 2000 and 3000 had, but they have to get the price
down.

Ian

Old July 12th 05, 09:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
JuliusP

The X101p and X100p are as you correctly said are FXO this is for connecting
to the PSTN not to alog devices, To do this you need either an ATA or a
igium TDM400 card with FXS modules.

Ooops, I meant that it could be used with spandsp standalone

Old July 14th 05, 11:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Angus Comber

Thanks for that. I am not looking to do fax over a VoIP link. Fax will go
over the usual analog trunk. I just wondered? If I plugged a fax machine
into a Sipura ATA and sent a fax via an Asterisk then would the fax work
over eg an ISDN BRI or PRI channel setup on the Asterisk?

Angus

Old July 17th 05, 03:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

Ed wrote:
On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 12:04:16 +0100, Ivor Jones wrote:

Angus Comber wrote:
Hello

I am running an Asterisk, fairly recent version, connected to
PSTN. I only use IP Phones but now want to connect a fax machine
to the *. Plus may want to also connect the odd analog phone.
People seem to rave about Sipura. How are they better than
Grandstream?

A lot, when it comes to build quality and facilities available.

.. in particular if you're a masochist and like to pay Sipura
rip-off prices.

You pay for quality. I have no complaints at all about my Sipura 2000,
it's the most configurable piece of kit I've ever bought, you can change
the parameters on just about everything..!

Ivor

Old July 17th 05, 07:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
m0rk

"Ed" [email protected] wrote in message
news:[email protected] eranews...
On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 15:45:41 +0100, Ivor Jones wrote:

You pay for quality. I have no complaints at all about my Sipura 2000,
it's the most configurable piece of kit I've ever bought, you can change
the parameters on just about everything..!

You've paid for air, hype and marketing spin. I'd be prepared to stake
my bedsocks on the fact that neither you nor 99% of users understand
the scores of incomprehensible parameters that the Sipura 2000 is
afflicted with.

I got the linksys pap2 (based on the sipura 2000) and agree I dont have the
faintest idea what most of the settings are for ... ive managed to muddle
through and with help of others currently have it set to give a uk ring ring
tone and have it working on both sipgate and gradwell.

Old July 17th 05, 09:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

Ed wrote:
On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 15:45:41 +0100, Ivor Jones wrote:

You pay for quality. I have no complaints at all about my Sipura
2000, it's the most configurable piece of kit I've ever bought,
you can change the parameters on just about everything..!

You've paid for air, hype and marketing spin. I'd be prepared to
stake my bedsocks on the fact that neither you nor 99% of users
understand the scores of incomprehensible parameters that the
Sipura 2000 is afflicted with.

You'd lose your socks, I'm afraid.

Ivor

Old July 18th 05, 08:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

Ed wrote:
On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 21:29:29 +0100, Ivor Jones wrote:

You'd lose your socks, I'm afraid.

Have you noticed your nose getting longer lately?

No, and unless you can prove it, neither have you.

Ivor