linksys pap2

Old July 12th 05, 10:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
m0rk

Default linksys pap2

I received the Linksys PAP2 from broadbandbuyer.co.uk today.

Im with telewest on a 512/128 connection.
Router is a Linksys WRT54G with no QOS setup as yet.

I signed up with a free sipgate account to test things out and my findings
so far a-

There are a SHEDLOAD of settings in the PAP2, most of which I havent
touched.
Im using a modem cable to go from PAP2 phone (rj11 rj11).
Modem cable is crossed, wires 1234 on one side are 4321 on the other.
The phone has a dial tone, the phone rings.
I followed the help setup from sipgate for a sipura and changed settings as
per each page.
I have called the test 10000 number and hear the voice.
I can call my voip number, had a conversation on it with the GF.

Call Qaulity is very good on the voip side, I could hear GF fine. On the
Telewest side though she said I sounded very quiet, could hear me but was
faint. We swapped over and yes, it was faint.

Will have to swap the phone over and test if it is the phone, settings
somewhere or other - anyone else find the other side of the call faint?

Old July 13th 05, 12:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Dave Gill

m0rk wrote:

There are a SHEDLOAD of settings in the PAP2, most of which I havent
touched.

Most of which you don't have to, unless you're compulsively inquisitive.

Im using a modem cable to go from PAP2 phone (rj11 rj11).
Modem cable is crossed, wires 1234 on one side are 4321 on the other.
The phone has a dial tone, the phone rings.

I always thought you were supposed to use an uncrossed phone cable, but
if your set up works...

Will have to swap the phone over and test if it is the phone, settings
somewhere or other - anyone else find the other side of the call faint?

I get occasional reports that I sound "distant" or "quiet" or "echoy"
but not bad enough to make the service unusable.

Old July 13th 05, 12:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
m0rk

"Dave Gill" wrote in message
m0rk wrote:

There are a SHEDLOAD of settings in the PAP2, most of which I havent
touched.

Most of which you don't have to, unless you're compulsively inquisitive.

Yes, i'll have to find a good source on the various settings for these
things ... just things like the time, it would use ntp.sipgate.net but to
get the right time I had to set another area to GMT+1.

There are others too , various call settings, possibly make the rings
different? havent tested those yet.

Im using a modem cable to go from PAP2 phone (rj11 rj11).
Modem cable is crossed, wires 1234 on one side are 4321 on the other.
The phone has a dial tone, the phone rings.

I always thought you were supposed to use an uncrossed phone cable, but
if your set up works...

Its working, dont know if its working properly as the other party gets a
fairly low/quiet sound from me but I receive good quality from them. I'll
test it with another cable tomorrow.

Will have to swap the phone over and test if it is the phone, settings
somewhere or other - anyone else find the other side of the call faint?

I get occasional reports that I sound "distant" or "quiet" or "echoy"
but not bad enough to make the service unusable.

I want to replace my telewest line eventually, but dont want a drop in
quality.

Old July 13th 05, 01:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Dave Gill

m0rk wrote:

There are others too , various call settings, possibly make the rings
different? havent tested those yet.

30(.4/.2,.4/2) gives you the traditional UK "ring, ring".

I want to replace my telewest line eventually, but dont want a drop in
quality.

My TW line goes at the end of the month. Sometimes my VoIP calls are as
clear as POTS calls, sometimes they're not quite, but they're usually at
least mobile quality and I can live with that.

Old July 13th 05, 01:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
m0rk

"Dave Gill" wrote in message
m0rk wrote:

There are others too , various call settings, possibly make the rings
different? havent tested those yet.

30(.4/.2,.4/2) gives you the traditional UK "ring, ring".

Is that for the dial plan section or somewhere in the regional ... ?

Old July 13th 05, 08:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Dave Gill

m0rk wrote:

"Dave Gill" wrote in message
m0rk wrote:

There are others too , various call settings, possibly make the rings
different? havent tested those yet.

30(.4/.2,.4/2) gives you the traditional UK "ring, ring".

Is that for the dial plan section or somewhere in the regional ... ?

It isn't listed as one of the standard rings, you need to replace one of
the Ring# Cadence patterns (in the Regional tab) with that pattern.
Ring1 is the standard US ring which makes a good contrast to the UK ring
if you set up both lines, so I'd replace one of the others instead.

Old July 13th 05, 04:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Paul -M-

Call Qaulity is very good on the voip side, I could hear GF fine. On the
Telewest side though she said I sounded very quiet, could hear me but was
faint. We swapped over and yes, it was faint.

Will have to swap the phone over and test if it is the phone, settings
somewhere or other - anyone else find the other side of the call faint?

I've got the exact same problem when calling my gf on her TW line.

Old July 13th 05, 09:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
m0rk

"Paul -M-" wrote in message
.uk...
Call Qaulity is very good on the voip side, I could hear GF fine. On the
Telewest side though she said I sounded very quiet, could hear me but was
faint. We swapped over and yes, it was faint.

Will have to swap the phone over and test if it is the phone, settings
somewhere or other - anyone else find the other side of the call faint?

I've got the exact same problem when calling my gf on her TW line.

which provider are you using, which hardware / software?..... im wondering
if it is sipgate specific or linksys pap2 specific or other

Old July 15th 05, 03:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Paul -M-

which provider are you using, which hardware / software?..... im wondering
if it is sipgate specific or linksys pap2 specific or other

Linksys pap2, voipbuster/sipgate combination.

The quiet calls are my outgoing calls on voipbuster, incoming on sipgate is
fine.

Old July 16th 05, 03:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
LanMan

Paul -M- wrote:
which provider are you using, which hardware / software?..... im wondering
if it is sipgate specific or linksys pap2 specific or other

Linksys pap2, voipbuster/sipgate combination.

The quiet calls are my outgoing calls on voipbuster, incoming on sipgate is
fine.

Paul, could you describe how you setup sipgate (incoming)/
voipbuster(outgoing)to work on a single phone connected to line 1
(assuming that's what you've done)

thanks