Vonage

Old July 13th 05, 08:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Dave Gill

Default Vonage

Ivor Jones wrote:

Does it have peering to Sipgate and other suppliers..?

No.

Old July 13th 05, 10:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
m0rk

Does it have peering to Sipgate and other suppliers..?
No but why bother about that yes you can call other VOIP providers via
Sipgate but the gesture is not reciprocated by other VOIP providers
they all say the peer with Sipgate but in practice they don't . I
can't call my Sipgate number from my FWD , Sipfone or Voipphone
accounts .

Whats all this part about ... cant call your sipgate number from other voip
providers?

I thought voip to voip were free calls - are you saying you cant call other
providers voip users? That one sure passed me by when looking around .....

Old July 13th 05, 10:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

m0rk wrote:
Does it have peering to Sipgate and other suppliers..?

No but why bother about that yes you can call other VOIP providers
via Sipgate but the gesture is not reciprocated by other VOIP
providers they all say the peer with Sipgate but in practice they
don't . I can't call my Sipgate number from my FWD , Sipfone or
Voipphone accounts .

Whats all this part about ... cant call your sipgate number from
other voip providers?

I thought voip to voip were free calls - are you saying you cant
call other providers voip users? That one sure passed me by when
looking around .....

Calls are only free to other VoIP providers' customers if there is a
peering agreement in place. Not all providers have such agreements.

For example the list of providers that Sipgate have agreements with can be
found he

https://secure.sipgate.co.uk/user/tarife.php?show=6

It appears that Vonage do not have peering agreements with other systems.
Anyone know any different..?

Ivor

Old July 13th 05, 10:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
m0rk

I thought voip to voip were free calls - are you saying you cant
call other providers voip users? That one sure passed me by when
looking around .....

Calls are only free to other VoIP providers' customers if there is a
peering agreement in place. Not all providers have such agreements.

For example the list of providers that Sipgate have agreements with can be
found he

https://secure.sipgate.co.uk/user/tarife.php?show=6

It appears that Vonage do not have peering agreements with other systems.
Anyone know any different..?

Ivor

So, what happens if I use my sipgate account and call a number that happens
to be voip - if I dont put in a prefix then am I charged whatever the charge
or can I not call the number?

Old July 13th 05, 10:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

m0rk wrote:

[snip]

So, what happens if I use my sipgate account and call a number that
happens to be voip - if I dont put in a prefix then am I charged
whatever the charge or can I not call the number?

If you look at that list it will tell you - some providers require you use
a prefix, some don't. You can still call the number but you *may* be
charged, I don't know, it depends on how the system has been set up.

Ivor

Old July 13th 05, 10:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Dave Gill

m0rk wrote:

So, what happens if I use my sipgate account and call a number that happens
to be voip - if I dont put in a prefix then am I charged whatever the charge
or can I not call the number?

Basically if you want to make sure your VoIP to VoIP call is free, and
both VoIP providers involved have a peering arrangement, you would dial
a specific prefix then the 7 digit "SIP number" of the person you want
to call. (If both parties are using the same VoIP provider just the SIP
number without a prefix will work.)

If you call another VoIP user's PSTN number instead of prefix + SIP
number, and the other party is with a different VoIP provider, you will
probably get charged for a standard PSTN phone call, even if the
providers have a peering arrangement.

Vonage don't have peering arrangements. Their argument is that you get
unlimited inclusive calls to UK geographic numbers anyway, but that
doesn't help if you regularly phone someone outside the UK...

Sipgate, Gossiptel, Gradwell, CallUK, SipCall, FWD and quite a few other
providers have peering arrangements, if that's what you need.

Old July 13th 05, 10:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
m0rk

"Dave Gill" wrote in message
m0rk wrote:

[...]

Ok ... have to read more closely next time!

For me I dont need any of this - im just getting upto speed in case I need
to install it for someone or our company bites the bullet. I'll switch over
to it to save a few quid each month providing I dont sacrifice anything
noticable although already the GF has said she doesnt want to change phone
numbers so thats an issue from the start as the only way id save any money
is to get rid of the current telewest line rental, we dont make enough calls
otherwise.

So far I like the voicemail, get to it via web or have it emailed to you
..... im concerned over quality of the other sides connection as its faint
when I call a telewest line from sipgate ...(my side of the call is good
quality and plenty loud enough) havent tried another provider or different
phone yet though.

Old July 14th 05, 12:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Martin²

I thought voip to voip were free calls - are you saying you cant call other
providers voip users? That one sure passed me by when looking around .....

You can call anyone with VoIP directly using their IP address (at least in
theory).
Regards,
Martin