Avoid the SpeedTouch 716g

Old July 13th 05, 09:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Philip

Default Avoid the SpeedTouch 716g

Hi

Just a warning to others looking at the SpeedTouch 716g with VoIP ports. I
have had several lock up problems that a new firmware upgrade hasn't fixed,
and it seems the 716g is being replaced already by a revised model referred
to as 716v5 WL
(http://www.speedtouchpartner.com/enu...oduct.php?id=4
7), this will come with completely different setup pages and firmware that
may not be made available for the 716g models, essentially making the 716g
obsolete after just a couple of months!

If you are going to buy a SpeedTouch 716, wait for the new models at least.

Regards

Phil

Old July 13th 05, 09:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Rob T

"Philip" wrote in message
Hi

Just a warning to others looking at the SpeedTouch 716g with VoIP ports.
have had several lock up problems that a new firmware upgrade hasn't
fixed,
and it seems the 716g is being replaced already by a revised model
referred
to as 716v5 WL
(http://www.speedtouchpartner.com/enu...oduct.php?id=4
7), this will come with completely different setup pages and firmware that
may not be made available for the 716g models, essentially making the 716g
obsolete after just a couple of months!

If you are going to buy a SpeedTouch 716, wait for the new models at
least.

Regards

Phil

Hello,

I think people would need to look at how many have been sold so far, and how
many reported faults. So far there only seems to be yours, so that might
lead me to think it is another component you have that is causing problems.

Old July 13th 05, 10:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Philip

"Rob T" wrote in message

Hello,

I think people would need to look at how many have been sold so far, and

how
many reported faults. So far there only seems to be yours, so that might
lead me to think it is another component you have that is causing

problems.

First unit died after a few hours, second unit has lockups that are nothing
to do with any other components I can assure you, the unit stops responding
after around 15-18 days requiring a switch off, this unit replaces a
SpeedTouch 530 that never stopped responding that had uptimes measured in
hundreds of days!

Problems (from others as well) and discussions about the 716g can be found
at:

http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/showthre...mber=17932 25
http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/showthre...mber=19257 97

If there isn't a problem with the 716g, why would SpeedTouch go to the
trouble of, and advertise the new version by changing the model name to
716v5 WL (standing for version 5 which is a completely new firmware and
user interface).

http://www.speedtouchpartner.com/enu...duct.php?id=47

Just trying to save others some disappointment, I like the Speedtouch 716g
but not happy at being left with an obsolete product that isn't reliable,
and after only a few months of it being released.

Regards

Phil

Old September 1st 05, 10:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ken_Fallon

I agree with Philip - avoid the Speedtouch 716g (I have the 716v5 WL)
and the problems continue. Firstly the documentation does not
correspond to the device. Take for example the setup of WiFi requires
the user to press an button on the modem (photos are included) but the
modem has no such button. http://www.fallon.ie/716/. This may be seen
as a minor fault but things do not get any better.

The CD had repeated problems finding the device despite successful
continuous pings on both an Ethernet and USB interface. During each
stage of the firmware update the program repeatedly failed at different
stages. Eight hours later I finally got the firmware bant-t_AI.bin
installed but update to did not help.

I eventually managed to get the original firmware restored but the
VCI/VPI settings were fixed and could not be changed - even from the
Command Line Interface CLI. Meaning the modem no longer connects to the
Internet.

The second modem (which I did not update) also has the same connection
problems and also is not able to connect. Both freeze after a time - I
think this is linked to heat buildup.

I sent two emails to Thompson a week ago and neither have been
answered.

So avoid the Speedtouch 716g and the Speedtouch 716v5

--
Ken_Fallon
Ken_Fallon's Profile: http://www.wirelessforums.org/member.php?userid=1035

Old September 1st 05, 04:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Me

So avoid the Speedtouch 716g and the Speedtouch 716v5

I, and my father both have the original 716g and in both cases, we are
more than satisfied.

Both work extremely well and have never locked up.

I too have heard that the v5 is unreliable and that they were working
on a v6

Me