PID&VID

Old July 13th 05, 11:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
F9

Default PID&VID

I've just installed a bluetooth adapter, but it says "no hardware detected"
when I insert it even after installing the software. They recommend adding a
PID&VID entry into the ini file for devices it cant automatically find.
Does anyone know what a PID&VID is and where do I might find it on a device?

Many thanks.

Old July 14th 05, 09:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Harry Broomhall

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 23:55:11 +0100, "F9" wrote:

I've just installed a bluetooth adapter, but it says "no hardware detected"
when I insert it even after installing the software. They recommend adding a
PID&VID entry into the ini file for devices it cant automatically find.
Does anyone know what a PID&VID is and where do I might find it on a device?

VID = Vendor ID. PID = Product ID. See
http://www.usb.org/developers/usbfaq/#12

However - I think this advice is mistaken. If it says no hardware
detected, and your hardware list isn't updated when you insert it then
either that USB socket is dead, or the device is dead.

Regards,
Harry.

Old July 21st 05, 12:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
F9

"Harry Broomhall" wrote in message
On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 23:55:11 +0100, "F9" wrote:

I've just installed a bluetooth adapter, but it says "no hardware
detected"
when I insert it even after installing the software. They recommend adding
PID&VID entry into the ini file for devices it cant automatically find.
Does anyone know what a PID&VID is and where do I might find it on a
device?

VID = Vendor ID. PID = Product ID. See
http://www.usb.org/developers/usbfaq/#12

However - I think this advice is mistaken. If it says no hardware
detected, and your hardware list isn't updated when you insert it then
either that USB socket is dead, or the device is dead.

Regards,
Harry.

I got it to work but it still wont connect to skype

Old July 21st 05, 11:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Harry Broomhall

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 00:55:17 +0100, "F9" wrote:

"Harry Broomhall" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 23:55:11 +0100, "F9" wrote:

I've just installed a bluetooth adapter, but it says "no hardware
detected"
when I insert it even after installing the software. They recommend adding
PID&VID entry into the ini file for devices it cant automatically find.
Does anyone know what a PID&VID is and where do I might find it on a
device?

VID = Vendor ID. PID = Product ID. See
http://www.usb.org/developers/usbfaq/#12

However - I think this advice is mistaken. If it says no hardware
detected, and your hardware list isn't updated when you insert it then
either that USB socket is dead, or the device is dead.

Regards,
Harry.

I got it to work but it still wont connect to skype

Er - Skype is a proprietary protocol - why would you expect it to?

Regards,
Harry.