Which codec corresponds to GSM?

Old July 14th 05, 09:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Henry F III

Default Which codec corresponds to GSM?

GSM is different from all the codecs you mention.

If a codec has another 'number', it is a different standard.

GSM is 13300 bits/sec (without the RTP + ethernet overhead)

Generally: 1 codec on 1 end can ONLY talk to the same codec on the other
end.

So if your ATA has no GSM codec, you can not talk to a SoftPhone that has
GSM codec.

Solution: use an ATA with the GSM codec (or an IP phone with the GSM
codec).
Please check out http://www.xeloq.com -- I am a customer there for 1,5
year and I have an IP phone + ATA 1 port that has GSM codec....and I use
SJPhone + Xlite as well......

They are changing websites - I see the new ATA with GSM codec that I have
here not on the site yet. Ask them.
The Katana-IP300 has GSM codec (and all the other codecs) - EUR 89,-

The ATA with GSM codec is EUR 79,-(that is what I paid for it).

Regards
Henry

PS: Here is a nice VoIP calculator:
http://www.newport-networks.com/page...alculator.html

"Al" wrote in message
My new ATA allows a number of codecs as follows:
G711u, G711a, G726-16, G726-24, G726-32, G726-40, G729a, G723

Is there a resource somewhere that describes these and the bandwidth
required by each? In particular, for my softphone I've used GSM
successfully. Which one of the above codecs corresponds to GSM?