Speaking clock

Old July 14th 05, 11:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

Default Speaking clock

Hi All,

I now have a speaking clock on a Sipgate number, if anyone wants to try
calling it..! The number is 1431320 (Sipgate) or 020 7043 1320 from the
PSTN.

This is a synthesised recording of the voice of Pat Simmons, who was the
voice of the GPO "TIM" speaking clock from 1963 to 1985.

Please let me know if you have any problems accessing the clock, it should
be on line most of the time but I may have to take it down from time to
time while I make adjustments to the system.

Ivor

Old July 14th 05, 11:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
GwG

"Ivor Jones" wrote in message

Hi All,

I now have a speaking clock on a Sipgate number, if anyone wants to try
calling it..! The number is 1431320 (Sipgate) or 020 7043 1320 from the
PSTN.

This is a synthesised recording of the voice of Pat Simmons, who was the
voice of the GPO "TIM" speaking clock from 1963 to 1985.

Please let me know if you have any problems accessing the clock, it should
be on line most of the time but I may have to take it down from time to
time while I make adjustments to the system.

Just tried at 11:15 via Sipgate Ivor, no speaking clock, just Pat Simmons,
with a masculine voice, on your answerphone :-)

Tried again 11:18 and 40 seconds, and got the speaking clock, checked it for
accuracy with my radio controlled clock, and spot on. Two further tests OK.

I hope you don't swamp Sipgate's lines, and cause them any problems ;-)

Old July 14th 05, 11:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"GwG" wrote in message

"Ivor Jones" wrote in message

Hi All,

I now have a speaking clock on a Sipgate number, if anyone wants to try
calling it..! The number is 1431320 (Sipgate) or 020 7043 1320 from the
PSTN.

This is a synthesised recording of the voice of Pat Simmons, who was
the
voice of the GPO "TIM" speaking clock from 1963 to 1985.

Please let me know if you have any problems accessing the clock, it
should
be on line most of the time but I may have to take it down from time to
time while I make adjustments to the system.

Just tried at 11:15 via Sipgate Ivor, no speaking clock, just Pat
Simmons,
with a masculine voice, on your answerphone :-)

That will cut in if the clock is offline for any reason. It may also come
in if someone else is using it, the line will only accept one caller at a
time. I think I'll take the voicemail off, better to get engaged tone I
think..!

Tried again 11:18 and 40 seconds, and got the speaking clock, checked it
for
accuracy with my radio controlled clock, and spot on. Two further tests
OK.

It's synchronised with MSF in Rugby so should be accurate, although with
VoIP there may sometimes be a short time lag, but not too much I hope..!

I hope you don't swamp Sipgate's lines, and cause them any problems ;-)

I hope so too :-))

Ivor

Old July 14th 05, 03:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

wrote in message
On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 11:31:07 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
wrote:

It's synchronised with MSF in Rugby so should be accurate, although with
VoIP there may sometimes be a short time lag, but not too much I hope..!

Just checked it is working fine Ivor and agrees with our wall clock
which is also synchronised with Rugby .
Well done .

Someone said it cuts out after a short time, yes unfortunately it will do
so after 30 seconds, to alter that would require rewriting the firmware,
which is somewhat beyond me..! Not a major problem but if you want to set
a watch that needs the minute signal and you dial in at 10 seconds past
then you will get cut off before the full minute is up, but at least it's
free to redial on Sipgate..!

Also note that as it will only handle one call at a time, if you call it
while it is busy you'll get ringing tone until it's free, which shouldn't
be longer than 30 seconds.

Ivor

Old July 14th 05, 04:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
David Floyd

In message of Thu, 14 Jul 2005, Ivor Jones writes

Hi All,

I now have a speaking clock on a Sipgate number, if anyone wants to try
calling it..! The number is 1431320 (Sipgate) or 020 7043 1320 from the
PSTN.

This is a synthesised recording of the voice of Pat Simmons, who was the
voice of the GPO "TIM" speaking clock from 1963 to 1985.

Please let me know if you have any problems accessing the clock, it should
be on line most of the time but I may have to take it down from time to
time while I make adjustments to the system.

This is really good. What nostalgia!! Thanks Ivor.

I've set my SPA3000 to ring 1431320 on gw2 whenever 123 is dialled.
Works a treat.

David
Old July 14th 05, 05:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Philip

"Ivor Jones" wrote in message

Hi All,

I now have a speaking clock on a Sipgate number, if anyone wants to try
calling it..! The number is 1431320 (Sipgate) or 020 7043 1320 from the
PSTN.

This is a synthesised recording of the voice of Pat Simmons, who was the
voice of the GPO "TIM" speaking clock from 1963 to 1985.

Please let me know if you have any problems accessing the clock, it should
be on line most of the time but I may have to take it down from time to
time while I make adjustments to the system.

Ivor

Hi

Working here, and that voice takes me back a bit.

Very good.

Regards

Phil

Old July 14th 05, 06:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Dave Gill

Ivor Jones wrote:

Please let me know if you have any problems accessing the clock, it should
be on line most of the time but I may have to take it down from time to
time while I make adjustments to the system.

I can access it OK via PSTN, but if I try Sipgate to Sipgate I hear the
single ring, then silence.

My Sipgate line seems to be working, a call from a mobile had 2-way
audio, but strangely the second half of the caller-ID was missing...

Old July 14th 05, 06:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Dave Gill

Dave Gill wrote:

I can access it OK via PSTN, but if I try Sipgate to Sipgate I hear the
single ring, then silence.

Working fine Gradwell to Sipgate (SIP to SIP) too, but still nothing
Sipgate to Sipgate. Strange.

Old July 14th 05, 08:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
David Floyd

In message of Thu, 14 Jul 2005, Dave Gill writes
Dave Gill wrote:

I can access it OK via PSTN, but if I try Sipgate to Sipgate I hear the
single ring, then silence.

Working fine Gradwell to Sipgate (SIP to SIP) too, but still nothing
Sipgate to Sipgate. Strange.

What do you mean by Sipgate to Sipgate?

I dial 1431320 on my Sipgate A/c and I get the speaking clock.

Is that what you mean? If so, it works for me.

David
Old July 14th 05, 08:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Dave Gill

David Floyd wrote:

What do you mean by Sipgate to Sipgate?

I dial 1431320 on my Sipgate A/c

That's what I mean...

and I get the speaking clock.

.... and I get naff-all.

I think it's some bug with my Sipgate account, although a normal call
from a mobile got through to me. Using the **777 prefix from Gradwell
worked fine, so it's not likely to be a problem at Ivor's end.