Vonage, Opinions Please

Old July 14th 05, 03:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Phil

Default Vonage, Opinions Please

I have been looking at signing up with Vonage on their £9.99/month deal.
What's the service like. Is it reliable and is the audio quality reasonable.
I have a Belkin 4 port router, how easy will it be to set up with their
adaptor? I know what I'm doing with my router as regards port forwarding but
have only ever had one PC connected to it so don't have any experience for
adding devices to it. I take it the adaptor comes with a good set of
instructions?
Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Old July 15th 05, 02:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Martin²

Phil:
I have been looking at signing up with Vonage on their £9.99/month deal.

As far as I am concerned. the whole point of VoIP is to get free / cheap
calls, otherwise
you may as well pay OneTel £10.99 and get all geo calls 'free', without any
extra hardware and unreliability !
I have read reports of Vonage problems, similar to other VoIP providers.
Do note that the Vonage / Staple supplied ATA is locked to Vonage, but you
can buy it directly from broadbandbuyer.co.uk for ~£35 (Linksys PAP2).
Regards,
Martin

Old July 15th 05, 08:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Mathew Curtis

Martin² wrote:
Phil:
I have been looking at signing up with Vonage on their £9.99/month deal.

As far as I am concerned. the whole point of VoIP is to get free / cheap
calls, otherwise
you may as well pay OneTel £10.99 and get all geo calls 'free', without any
extra hardware and unreliability !
I have read reports of Vonage problems, similar to other VoIP providers.
Do note that the Vonage / Staple supplied ATA is locked to Vonage, but you
can buy it directly from broadbandbuyer.co.uk for ~£35 (Linksys PAP2).
Regards,
Martin

From my experience vonage was just not good value for money I was

paying 9.99 per month and I used an average of 30 mins a day calling
the uk and about an hour a day to call Australia and India so in total
I way paying an average of £135 per month then my brother-in-law
recommended www.voipfone.co.uk now I do exactly the same and it only
costs me about £86 plus I get a lot more features than vonage offer

Mat

Old July 16th 05, 01:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Mathew Curtis

wrote:
On 15 Jul 2005 12:20:08 -0700, "Mathew Curtis"
wrote:

I way paying an average of £135 per month then my brother-in-law
recommended
www.voipfone.co.uk now I do exactly the same and it only
costs me about £86 plus I get a lot more features than vonage offer

Mat

Horses for courses Mat I have an account with Voipfone myself but I
only use it for the call back feature and no Voip in this country can
beat the audio quality of Vonage it is on a par with BT .
99.9% of all my calls are to uk geographical numbers and Vonage is
right for me .

That's fair enough dex although I don't agree with your comment
about sound quality I find that the sound quality with Voipfone is far
superior than BT and vonage but of course it depends on the quality of
the equipment your using I mainly use a snom 190 and a Sipura 2000
adaptor now and they both work fantastically although the sound quality
on the snom 190 if far better than any other adaptor I have tried
including vonages

I must admit that of all the providers I have tried and tested over the
past few months Voipfone and vonage do come out on top for me there was
only a few reasons I decided to go with Voipfone rather than vonage the
first is cost and the amount of features I get with Voipfone as I
explained in my previous post and the fact that when I called there
helpline (who were very helpful) and asked if the conversation we was
having was a VOIP call they answered by saying NO ITS NOT ummmmm *mat
scratches his head.

Mat