VoIP service monthly charges?

Old July 16th 05, 02:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
r_mervart

Default VoIP service monthly charges?

Looking on the Voipfone website, without registering, I found it difficult
to be sure whether there is or is not any monthly fee - if you make no
calls, or whether the service is in this respect free. Could someone briefly
summarise for me which of these VoIP service providers do not charge any
monthly fee?

Thanks
Roman

Old July 16th 05, 03:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
7

r_mervart wrote:

Looking on the Voipfone website, without registering, I found it difficult
to be sure whether there is or is not any monthly fee - if you make no
calls, or whether the service is in this respect free. Could someone
briefly summarise for me which of these VoIP service providers do not
charge any monthly fee?

You are getting confused with old service providers who charge
monthly fees.

New providers like Voipfone, there are no monthly fees.

Other more modern service providers have no accounts either
and charge 10%-20% extra for standard analogue phone (non-VoIP) calls
compared to VoIP calls.

Old July 16th 05, 04:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
r_mervart

"7" wrote in message . uk...
r_mervart wrote:

Looking on the Voipfone website, without registering, I found it difficult
to be sure whether there is or is not any monthly fee - if you make no
calls, or whether the service is in this respect free. Could someone
briefly summarise for me which of these VoIP service providers do not
charge any monthly fee?

You are getting confused with old service providers who charge
monthly fees.

New providers like Voipfone, there are no monthly fees.

Other more modern service providers have no accounts either
and charge 10%-20% extra for standard analogue phone (non-VoIP) calls
compared to VoIP calls.

What confuses me are statements that like these
a.. I have been looking at signing up with Vonage on their 9.99/month deal. (uk.telecom.voip)

b.. Single Line: Free Trial! 0.00 per month for 3 months
4.00 per month thereafter (Gradwell website)
Roman
Old July 16th 05, 05:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Mathew Curtis

r_mervart wrote:
Looking on the Voipfone website, without registering, I found it difficult
to be sure whether there is or is not any monthly fee - if you make no
calls, or whether the service is in this respect free. Could someone briefly
summarise for me which of these VoIP service providers do not charge any
monthly fee?

Thanks
Roman

You can sign up with voipfone for free (no monthly fee) they give you a
few free minutes and sms to try things out then if your still happy you
just top up your account with credit they do have a few services that
are charged monthly but the basic service is pay as you go

Mat

Old July 16th 05, 05:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Mathew Curtis

r_mervart wrote:
Looking on the Voipfone website, without registering, I found it difficult
to be sure whether there is or is not any monthly fee - if you make no
calls, or whether the service is in this respect free. Could someone briefly
summarise for me which of these VoIP service providers do not charge any
monthly fee?

Thanks
Roman

forgot to give you this link should tell you all you need to know
http://www.voipfone.co.uk/builder.php

Mat

Old July 16th 05, 06:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
r_mervart

"Mathew Curtis" wrote in message
oups.com...

r_mervart wrote:
Looking on the Voipfone website, without registering, I found it

difficult
to be sure whether there is or is not any monthly fee - if you make no
calls, or whether the service is in this respect free. Could someone

briefly
summarise for me which of these VoIP service providers do not charge any
monthly fee?

Thanks
Roman

forgot to give you this link should tell you all you need to know
http://www.voipfone.co.uk/builder.php

Mat

Thanks. Looking at the voipfone charges, For 0845, 0870, mobile calls and
international calls it is possible to beat these prices using a combination
of the BT or Cable plus calling cards It is then a question of how long the
calls are and their volume to see if or what saving one can achieve mainly
due to not paying for the monthly rental. For very high volumes/call
durations you may be better of with the old analog line.
Roman

Old July 16th 05, 06:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

Mathew Curtis wrote:

[snip]

You can sign up with voipfone for free (no monthly fee) they give
you a few free minutes and sms to try things out then if your still
happy you just top up your account with credit they do have a few
services that are charged monthly but the basic service is pay as
you go

I was looking at their site but I couldn't see where you can select a
phone number or what format it is.

Is it an ordinary geographic one as with Sipgate or is it one of those 05
numbers that probably cost extra to call from the PSTN..?

Ivor

Old July 16th 05, 06:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
7

r_mervart wrote:

"7" wrote in message
. uk...
r_mervart wrote:

[...]

Post the url.
Probably services other than VoIP.
For VoIP you just set account up and pay some money into the pot
in advance so that you can make phone calls and the money gets
taken out the pot.

Old July 16th 05, 08:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

7 wrote:
r_mervart wrote:

[snip]

What confuses me are statements that like these
a.. I have been looking at signing up with Vonage on their
9.99/month deal. (uk.telecom.voip)

b.. Single Line: Free Trial! 0.00 per month for 3 months
4.00 per month thereafter (Gradwell website)
Roman

Post the url.
Probably services other than VoIP.
For VoIP you just set account up and pay some money into the pot
in advance so that you can make phone calls and the money gets
taken out the pot.

No. Gradwell is a business-oriented system, Peter Gradwell who runs it
posts on this group from time to time. The url is www.gradwell.co.uk

It is, from what I've seen, an excellent service, but the monthly charge
is too much for my purposes.

Ivor

Old July 17th 05, 11:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
r_mervart

"Ivor Jones" wrote in message
Mathew Curtis wrote:

[snip]

You can sign up with voipfone for free (no monthly fee) they give
you a few free minutes and sms to try things out then if your still
happy you just top up your account with credit they do have a few
services that are charged monthly but the basic service is pay as
you go

I was looking at their site but I couldn't see where you can select a
phone number or what format it is.

Is it an ordinary geographic one as with Sipgate or is it one of those 05
numbers that probably cost extra to call from the PSTN..?

Ivor

http://www.voipfone.co.uk/PB_Incoming_Pstn_Number.php
It is said there that calls to 05 number are the same as to
any "ordinary tel. number". It does not mention whether you
can also have a local geographic number, only 0870 number
Roman