Basic question on VoIP

Old July 19th 05, 07:38 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Stephane M

Default Basic question on VoIP

Hello,

I have a slow ADSL... (512kb/s) however, I can see that if I make a VoIP
phone call AND if I download a file at the same time, I have some trouble
with my communication. (Not really suprising ... :-(

- Do you think that this desappear with quicker broadband ?
- Or is there a trick to keep a good communication when somebody else is
downloading at the same time on the network ??

Ta.

Stephan

Old July 19th 05, 08:32 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Paul D.Smith

"Stephane M" wrote in message
Hello,

I have a slow ADSL... (512kb/s) however, I can see that if I make a VoIP
phone call AND if I download a file at the same time, I have some trouble
with my communication. (Not really suprising ... :-(

- Do you think that this desappear with quicker broadband ?

No. Given more bandwidth, your download will be faster but will probably
still swamp out the VoIP call.

- Or is there a trick to keep a good communication when somebody else is
downloading at the same time on the network ??

Maybe.

The issue is that VoIP requires a certain bandwidth but without anything
stopping it, other things such as downloads grab all the badnwidth leaving
the VoIP call starved. You can reconfigure your network (if its not
already) like this...

Internet--- ADSL --- VoIP ATA --- Router/Switch/Hub -- Computer

+-- phone

However, this is still not 100% safe since this will protect the route up
from ATA to internet and might not help with the downstream. However its
possible that the ATA may also slow the downlink by acknowledging TCP
packets more slowly than it would otherwise - I'm no TCP algorithm expert
though.

For "real" VoIP installations, people create VoIP backbones with proper
Quality of Service (QoS) set up to protect the voice from the data. You can
do the same by stopping downloads whilst your on the phone.

Of course this all assumes that the ISP doesn't swamp your VoIP data
either - and you have no control on this.

Paul DS

Old July 19th 05, 08:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Chris Blunt

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 07:38:48 +0100, "Stephane M"
wrote:

Hello,

I have a slow ADSL... (512kb/s) however, I can see that if I make a VoIP
phone call AND if I download a file at the same time, I have some trouble
with my communication. (Not really suprising ... :-(

- Do you think that this desappear with quicker broadband ?
- Or is there a trick to keep a good communication when somebody else is
downloading at the same time on the network ??

There is a trick, and the trick is known as QoS (Quality of Service).

QoS is a facility available on some routers and it provides a method
of giving your VoIP traffic higher priority than other connections so
as to reduce the delays to it which result in interruptions to the
voice signal. If you are doing a download at the same time as making a
voice call, the download will be throttled back as necessary to
maintain sufficient bandwidth for the voice traffic.

You might want to check out this list of routers which are reported to
support QoS.

http://www.voip-info.org/tiki-index....e=VOIP+Routers

Chris

Old July 19th 05, 09:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
r_mervart

wrote:

[...]

bewildering selection
Roman

Old July 20th 05, 01:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Martin²

http://www.voip-info.org/tiki-index....e=VOIP+Routers

Roman:
bewildering selection

And its not even up to date / complete.
Zyxel 2602HW has 2 VoiP ports and QoS and the HWL version has pass-through
to the POTS line too.
Regards,
Martin

Old July 20th 05, 09:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
r_mervart

"Martin²" wrote in message
http://www.voip-info.org/tiki-index....e=VOIP+Routers

Roman:
bewildering selection

And its not even up to date / complete.
Zyxel 2602HW has 2 VoiP ports and QoS and the HWL version has pass-through
to the POTS line too.
Regards,
Martin

I am reading this group because I am trying to establish whether my son, who
is setting up a (very) small business venture, could possibly save some
money using VoIP compared to standard BT landline but have a reliable
service with comparable voice quality without getting bogged down with
technicalities. He will have broadband connection. All he needs, at least to
start with, is an equivalent to a single BT line with basic facilities, such
as answerphone and call divert, a local (London) number plus possibly 0845
or 0870 number. However, the service needs to be reliable and there should
not be any noticeable blips or other manifestations of problems with other
activity on the broadband connection. I think if the voice comms would take
priority in such a way that stopping of downloads would be done
automatically without need for human to intervene that could be acceptable.
Roman

Old July 21st 05, 01:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Martin²

Roman:
mall business venture, could possibly save some
money using VoIP compared to standard BT landline but have a reliable
service with comparable voice quality

Reputedly you get reliable service from Gradwell, Vonage and perhaps
Voiphone,
but they all charge rental, which rather limits any savings.

I think if the voice comms would take
priority in such a way that stopping of downloads would be done
automatically

For that you need a router with QoS (quality of service) such as Zyxel 2602
HW / HWL or Draytek 2500V / 2600V / VG. But you need to set the QoS
parameters, not as simple as it should be, especially on the Draytek.
Regards,
Martin

Old July 21st 05, 02:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

wrote in message
news
On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 01:20:12 +0100, "Martin²" wrote:

Reputedly you get reliable service from Gradwell, Vonage and perhaps
Voiphone,
but they all charge rental, which rather limits any savings.

Vonage does NOT charge rental they charge 9.99 a month inclusive of
VAT and ALL calls to geographical numbers in the whole of the UK
and ALL of Ireland . What is BT charging for their all calls package
is it twenty eight quid a month or something and that only includes
calls to northern Ireland not the south !!.

If it's a charge payable every month regardless of how much or how little
you use it, then in my book it's rental. I can't have the service without
paying it, so as far as I'm concerned it's rental by another name.

As I told you before, I'd struggle to make £9.99 of calls in a year, never
mind a month..! Most of my calls are to mobiles, so I use the mobile for
that, or Sipgate users, which are free anyway, so what I'd do with a
tenner's worth of calls to landlines in a month I have no idea..!

Ivor

Old July 21st 05, 09:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
r_mervart

wrote in message
news
On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 01:20:12 +0100, "Martin²" wrote:

Reputedly you get reliable service from Gradwell, Vonage and perhaps
Voiphone,
but they all charge rental, which rather limits any savings.

Vonage does NOT charge rental they charge 9.99 a month inclusive of
VAT and ALL calls to geographical numbers in the whole of the UK
and ALL of Ireland . What is BT charging for their all calls package
is it twenty eight quid a month or something and that only includes
calls to northern Ireland not the south !!.

If it is a fixed non-reducible monthly charge then it is what would normally
be understood as a rental whether it includes certain types of call without
further charge or not. It may be much better rental than BT equivalent but
it is rental.
Roman

Old July 21st 05, 03:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

wrote in message
On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 08:14:47 GMT, "r_mervart"
wrote:

If it is a fixed non-reducible monthly charge then it is what would
normally
be understood as a rental whether it includes certain types of call
without
further charge or not.

No you are wrong if I took what you are saying above to be correct
then our city transport operators are charging bus rental when they
say I can travel anywhere in the city at any time of the day or night
for a fixed monthly fee.
Now I have a choice I can either buy the journeys in bulk at a very
much reduced rate or I can pay per journey and it is exactly the same
with Vonage and many other phone companies with the exception of BT
who clearly state their top package includes line RENTAL and ALL
calls. You cannot rent a line from Vonage has they have no lines to
rent .

Are you telling me that I can have a number from Vonage and not pay a
monthly charge but can use the same system as Sipgate and add credit like
a PAYG mobile..? If so I can't see it on their website anywhere.

If it's a charge I have to pay in order to use the service then it's
rental in all but name.

Ivor