Fax and VoIP

Old July 19th 05, 08:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Tony

Default Fax and VoIP

"Al" wrote in message
There's been some discussion here about sending fax through VoIP
telephone adaptors. The consensus view seems to be that this can be
hit and miss, so pretty unreliable.

What I haven't seen discussed very much about INCOMING fax to a fax
machine attached to an ATA. Is the situation for incoming fax much the
same as outgoing fax (ie problematic and unreliable) or is incoming
fax ok?

Yes, the issue is with the quality of the connection. So yes it much
relates to both sending and receiving where VoIP is in any way connected.
That said, I have used a sipura ATA recently to send and receive fax without
a problem. It all depends in the codec in use on the service you use. The
fax issue is down to (normally) the amount of compression of the data
stream.

If you can try it, give it a go, you might just find its OK for you. It is
here (not that I use fax normally, but I did perform a test on both send and
receive recently, using sipgate as the provider of the VoIP service.

Tony

Old July 19th 05, 11:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ian

"Al" wrote in message
On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 20:21:31 +0100, Tony wrote:

Yes, the issue is with the quality of the connection. So yes it much
relates to both sending and receiving where VoIP is in any way connected.
That said, I have used a sipura ATA recently to send and receive fax

without
a problem. It all depends in the codec in use on the service you use.

The
fax issue is down to (normally) the amount of compression of the data
stream.

Would you care to share with us your findings regarding use of codecs
with fax? Incidentally, I'm primarily interested fax to and from fixed
PSTN lines.

For reliable fax you need to use G711a codec and if possible limit the send
and recieve speed to 9600 and set your fax to accept more errors than it
normaly would before rejecting the page.

My fax server quite happly sits on a SIP port reciving faxes with no
problems, other than the odd black or white line. I very rarely send faxes
but the ones I do have always got through, I only have the server running as
a few customers send POs only by fax.

Ian