VoIP setup for a small business

Old July 20th 05, 02:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
r_mervart

Default VoIP setup for a small business

I am trying to establish whether my son, who is setting up a (very) small
business, could possibly save some
money using VoIP compared to a standard BT landline but still have a
reliable service with comparable voice quality and without getting bogged
down with technicalities. I am assuming that he will have a BT broadband

All he needs, at least to start with, is an equivalent to a single BT phone
line with basic facilities, such as answerphone and call divert, a local
(London) number and possibly 0845 or 0870 number. Purely software solution
dependant on a constantly running PC would not be a good idea.
The service needs to be reliable and with voice quality comparable to a
standard BT or NTL line without blips* or other manifestations of problems
with data activities on the broadband connection.
*If it could be arranged that the voice comms takes priority over any other
broadband activity (to suspend it) without the need for human
intervention - that could be acceptable.

Could anyone suggest suitable service but also required equipment. Or
should he get a standard telephone line for the time being?

Roman

Old July 20th 05, 03:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
John Daragon

r_mervart wrote:
[...]

Well, he'll need a standard PSTN line from BT before he can order ADSL
(I'm assuming that he's not in a position to install SDSL or a leased
line...), so any saving he makes will be on call costs.

Voiptalk will give him an 020 7 or 020 8 inbound number for about 3 a
month, and charge him about 0.01 a minute on outbound calls.

He'll need an ATA box of some sort (they run from about 30 to about
70) or are sometimes integrated with ADSL routers, and a router that
supports QoS (which will allow you to give priority to voice traffic).

See http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/vigor2500v.html

Here's the expensive part: for *good* call quality, you need packets to
be delivered regularly. The upstream channel of ADSL is 256kbps, and in
a domestic ADSL installation, that may be shared by 50 users. G.729
needs about 14kbps, so you may get less quality than you expected.

A typical "business" ADSL connection has a contention ratio of 20:1, and
you may get away with this for one call at a time. Generally, our
customers buy uncontended (1:1) ADSL connections, but they are running
more extensions than you want to.

If you'd like to give me your 'phone number by email, I can give you a
demonstration.

jd

--

John Daragon
argv[0] limited

Old July 20th 05, 06:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ian

"r_mervart" wrote in message
[...]

Well he will need the BT line to get the ADSL, As to saving money it will
depend on his calling pattern. Is he intending to work from home or an
office? If its an office then he needs to look into serviced offices or If
he has just left Uni, Contact them and see if they have a "Innovations"
center (These come under many names but are Uni supported office complexs
for start ups.

Ian

Old July 20th 05, 06:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
r_mervart

"Ian" spam"AT"bathfordhill.co.uk wrote in message

"r_mervart" wrote in message
[...]

He is moving out of the accommodation provided by his employer. His flat
will be his office.
He left Birmingham Uni a couple of years ago and is now in London which
rules this suggestion out.

Roman

Old July 20th 05, 06:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ian

"r_mervart" wrote in message
[...]

Then he will need a BT line or a cable connection for his BB, and a voip
supplier who is business orientated like Voiptalk or Gradwell, Both of these
will cost him but he will get a reliable service. Any saving will depend on
what he is intending to do, Having a voip line is ideal if there are others
in the flat but if they are online as well then QOS will be a problem.
Expecting to save money is not realy acheivable in th eshort to medium term
as hardware costs will outweigh any savings.

feel free to email or call
to email info"AT"cyber-cottage.co.uk
to call sip:call"AT"bathfordhill.gotdns.com

Ian

Old July 20th 05, 06:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
r_mervart

"John Daragon" wrote in message
r_mervart wrote:
[...]

If he needs PSTN line anyway then it probably will hardly be worth his
trouble and expense on equipment. One can make quite cheap calls using
various telecom services such as Call 18866 , Telediscount e.t.c. At least
on NTL cable I can, I think, keep just the broadband connection and
disconnect the phone which would then result in more significant savings.
Thanks
Roman

Old July 20th 05, 07:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
John Daragon

r_mervart wrote:

[...]

If he can get a cable connection then he may well not need the BT line.
The BT analogue line is a requirement for ADSL, but not for all
types of IP connection...

I'm sorry, I know *nothing* about speeds and contention ratios for cable
connections.

jd
Old July 20th 05, 08:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
r_mervart

r_mervart wrote:

[...]

I am not sure how well "cabled" London is so I assumed that he will
have to use BT.
Roman

Old July 20th 05, 09:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Phil Thompson

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 19:57:37 GMT, "r_mervart"
wrote:

I am not sure how well "cabled" London is so I assumed that he will
have to use BT.

samknows.com will list services available in a postcode area.

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !