Number portability

Old July 23rd 05, 09:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Phil Thompson

Default Number portability

As VoIP beds down and people get comfortable with the services etc
there will come a point where number portability becomes an issue that
restrains the growth of the market.

There was a flurry of activivity by OFCOM last year
http://www.ofcom.org.uk/telecoms/groups/nvs_index/
which seemed to be saying that if a provider offerred a PATS (Publicly
Available Telephone Service) then in a letter dated 20/12/04 stated

"Where the service provided to its subscribers is a PATS service which
complies with the Interim PATS Policy, a communications provider is
obliged to provide Number Portability in the circumstances provided
for in General Condition 18.1 of the General Conditions of
Entitlement."

so I'm confused - do we have number portability or don't we ?
which if any VoIP services classify themselves as PATS ?

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !

Old July 23rd 05, 03:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Phil Thompson

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 13:24:02 GMT, "Paul Westwell"
wrote:

Vonage are working on it in the UK and already have it I believe in the USA.

they do in the USA, but it's the participation of others that is
probably the issue. One outfit can never constitute a portability
scheme.

Phil
Old July 23rd 05, 04:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Paul Westwell

True but I guess OFCOM would comedown on heavily on BT for example if they
resisted number portability with Vonage for example. I cannot see Vonage (or
other SIP providers) not wanting number portability as I would expect them
to gain far more then they would lose on entering a new market.

Old July 23rd 05, 08:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Phil Thompson

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 15:39:35 GMT, "Paul Westwell"
wrote:

True but I guess OFCOM would comedown on heavily on BT for example if they
resisted number portability with Vonage for example. I cannot see Vonage (or
other SIP providers) not wanting number portability as I would expect them
to gain far more then they would lose on entering a new market.

do Vonage claim to be offerring PATS* in the UK would appear to be the
question then, if so then portability should be easy.

* PATS is an EU concept for "publicly available telephone service"
which has wording around 112/999 emergency calls and other things like
"resilience of the network". I believe that exclusive use of the
public internet for connectivity does not meet the resilience
criteria without a fallover to an analogue line or other circuit.

Phil
Old July 23rd 05, 10:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Paul Westwell

Phil,

I'm not sure......

They do have failover to analogue in the form of if the VOIP is unavailable
then all calls will be diverted to a number of your choice (not sure if that
covers the PATS requirement?)

They also provide 112/999

Regards,

Paul