preferred codec?

Old July 23rd 05, 09:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Lee

Default preferred codec?

Hello

I am just browsing the configuration for my sipura ATA and see that the SIP
"preferred codec" is G711u and that "Use Pref Codec Only" is set to Yes.

I know absolutely nothing about codecs. Are these settings correct? What do
other people use?

I am registered with voipfone if that makes a difference.

Thanks

Lee

Old July 25th 05, 02:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Shane Carpenter

23/07/2005 09:52:06
Hello

I am just browsing the configuration for my sipura ATA and see that the SIP
"preferred codec" is G711u and that "Use Pref Codec Only" is set to Yes.

I know absolutely nothing about codecs. Are these settings correct? What do
other people use?

I am registered with voipfone if that makes a difference.

Thanks

Lee

G711u seems to be the most common codec, it uses 64k, I would have thought that selecting it as the only codec might cause you a problem.

I would have thought most people would use G729 for it's better compression??
Old July 27th 05, 04:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Paul D.Smith

A codec is a way of compressing speech. More compression requires less
bandwidth but can sound worse.

Typically, a phone will have a preferred codec, but will work with others.
For example, someone might callyou with a low bandwidth codec because that's
all the bandwidth they can get and currently, you would reject their call.

So I'd recommend removing the "only use the preferred" option. The codec
you have is the highest bandwidth codec you have anyway (probably) so having
this "just this codec" option isn't helping you.

Paul DS