BT-101 - dodgy dc connector - corrupted flash - cure found?

Old July 24th 05, 11:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Alan Foster

Default BT-101 - dodgy dc connector - corrupted flash - cure found?

Hi all

Just in case this is a common problem I offer the following info:

All owners of BT-100's will know that the power connector is decidedly
dodgy, and I have now experienced a real heart-stopping moment as a result!

Tried to reconfigure for an alternative service provider and whilst
rebooting, the power failed briefly and phone refused to complete the boot
process. Power cycling did not help - it would sit there flashing its
led's all day with an incomplete boot. If I lifted the hook, it would
settle down and allow access through the web interface, but would not
connect.

With the web interface accessed, I tried changing all the configuration
back to exactly as it was before and tried another reboot. Same thing...
wouldn't complete the reboot - or to be more precise, wouldn't log on...
just sat there flashing its bloody lights! It seemed that the flash
memory was corrupted!

I decided that before I did anything else I would sort out the dodgy power
supply. The plug was found to be a 2.5mm internal, and the socket a 2.1mm
pin! I replaced the plug on the power supply lead.

Now with good power I tried everything again, but it was no good, although
configuration changes could be made, the boot cycle would not complete.

In total desperation - 'what have I got to loose, it's about to go in the
bin' mode - I went for the option to reset to factory default. However, I
as I began to enter the MAC address, it connected!!! I hadn't even
completed the reset operation... say no more... cancel the reset and try
the phone.

Made a call from my landline to the VoIP number, and it worked!!!

Don't know whether the half reset will cure everybody's frozen BT-100
though, so the moral of this tale is:

***** Change the power plug to the correct size *****

Regards
Alan.

Old July 24th 05, 08:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

Alan Foster wrote:

[snip]

Don't know whether the half reset will cure everybody's frozen
BT-100 though, so the moral of this tale is:

***** Change the power plug to the correct size *****

Regards
Alan.

Thanks for the info, Alan, don't use the beast myself but I'm sure it will
be of help to somebody.

BTW I didn't hear from you re. the Fritz!Box Fon, please let me know if
you still want any help with it. The email address that I gave you to
reply to before doesn't appear to be working at the moment, but let me
know here and I'll sort out an alternative if necessary.

Ivor

Old July 24th 05, 08:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham

"Alan Foster" wrote in message
news[email protected]
[...]

I have often wondered why two connectors with such a microscopic difference
were developed.

I wonder if one was originally made to an imperial measurement?

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old July 24th 05, 09:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Nick

"Graham" wrote in message ...

[...]

"microscopic difference"? Hardly, 0.4m/m or 0.01574" or very nearly
1/64" can't be described as "microscopic".

Old July 24th 05, 09:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham

I have often wondered why two connectors with such a microscopic
difference
were developed.

I wonder if one was originally made to an imperial measurement?

Graham.

"microscopic difference"? Hardly, 0.4m/m or 0.01574" or very nearly
1/64" can't be described as "microscopic".

Speak for yourself Nick,
With my eyesight I will be lucky to find the socket.
;-)

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old July 25th 05, 01:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
JC

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 11:23:37 +0100, "Alan Foster"
wrote:

All owners of BT-100's will know that the power connector is decidedly
dodgy, and I have now experienced a real heart-stopping moment as a result!

If this is the Budgetone 101/2 then in my opinion the whole thing is
more than dodgy, its the worst piece of network hardware I've ever
owned. Utter, useless, junk.

process. Power cycling did not help - it would sit there flashing its
led's all day with an incomplete boot. If I lifted the hook, it would

Mine did this. I had to run a packet sniffer on it and managed to
identify that it was trying to TFTP firmware from a none existent
machine. After simulating this TFTP server with a new firmware image
the phone upgraded itself and started working - it was out of action
for 6 months though before I tried this.

Unfortunately within an hour of getting the phone to work it ceased
talking to the network at all! It boots fine now and shows a network
connection on the screen but won't lease an IP or even send/recieve a
single packet of data at all.

Rgds
Jonathan

Old July 25th 05, 02:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
JuliusP

its the worst piece of network hardware I've ever
owned. Utter, useless, junk.

I've had a BT101 for well over a year, use it every day works
flawlessly

Old July 25th 05, 08:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Sparks

"JuliusP" wrote in message
oups.com...
its the worst piece of network hardware I've ever
owned. Utter, useless, junk.

I've had a BT101 for well over a year, use it every day works
flawlessly

I have two, 'connected' to my Asterisk Box, both working fine for the 6 or
so months I have had them!

Sparks...

Old July 25th 05, 08:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Alan Foster

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 20:16:53 +0100, Ivor Jones
wrote:

[snip]

BTW I didn't hear from you re. the Fritz!Box Fon, please let me know if
you still want any help with it. The email address that I gave you to
reply to before doesn't appear to be working at the moment, but let me
know here and I'll sort out an alternative if necessary.

For the time being I've put the Fritz on the back burner so to speak.
It's a pity really, as I would dearly like to get my household DECT phones
bridged over to VoIP as well as the PSTN. However, apart from the echo
problem - still unresolved - as far as I can see there is no way to make
dialling out default to the PSTN. I would rather have to dial a code to
get a VoIP line with default to PSTN than the other way round.

Not like me to give up - I'll probably have another go when I've got more
time - but just as I was contemplating the Fritz problem, I aquired a very
cheap Swissvoice IP10S and my attention was diverted to that.

I am grateful for your offer of help, and when and if I have another go at
the Fritz, I will certainly take you up on it!!

Regards
Alan.

Old July 25th 05, 08:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Alan Foster

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 01:48:14 +0100, JC wrote:

If this is the Budgetone 101/2 then in my opinion the whole thing is
more than dodgy, its the worst piece of network hardware I've ever
owned. Utter, useless, junk.

Harsh words indeed... although I wouldn't argue with your opinion, I
wouldn't put it quite that strongly!

The name says it all; not so much 'Budge Tone', but more 'Budget One'!
I consider this as equipment that was undoubtedly developed with the word
'Budget' at the top of the developer's list of design criteria. No harm
in that; it is after all sold at a budget price; that seems fair enough.

However, as an electronics engineer, I find the use of a power supply with
the wrong size connector to be totally incompetent and unprofessional. I
would even question its 'fitness for purpose' under the Sale of Goods Act.

It boots fine now and shows a network
connection on the screen but won't lease an IP or even send/recieve a
single packet of data at all.

Hmmm... if it shows the connection icon, it surely has to be either a
configuration error, or a firewall problem... mind you, if you really feel
that badly about the BT-100 you probably don't want to bother :-(

Regards
Alan.