VOiP Solution

Old July 28th 05, 11:53 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.voip
Stuart Millington

Default VOiP Solution

Note: x-posted and FU set to uk.telecom.voip

On 28 Jul 2005 14:15:20 -0700, "Pred02" wrote:

I am interested in a VOiP solution to install at my home in Boston. I
was thinking of using SkyPE as the provider. In addition, I would like

IMO: Forget proprietary carp like this and go for SIP or IAX2
providers.

3) Buy a RJ45 to RJ11 adapter like Sipura Phone Adapter and use that
with the regular coordless phone?

IMO, yes. (I use a dedicated SIP phone at work and a Sipura ATA at
home.) But, ask in uk.telecom.voip for others' first hand advice on
ATAs and associated service providers.

- Stuart Millington ALL HTML e-mail rejected -
- mailtohttp://w3.z-add.co.uk/ -
Old July 29th 05, 12:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

Stuart Millington wrote:
Note: x-posted and FU set to uk.telecom.voip

On 28 Jul 2005 14:15:20 -0700, "Pred02" wrote:

I am interested in a VOiP solution to install at my home in
Boston. I was thinking of using SkyPE as the provider. In
addition, I would like

IMO: Forget proprietary carp like this and go for SIP or IAX2
providers.

3) Buy a RJ45 to RJ11 adapter like Sipura Phone Adapter and use
that with the regular coordless phone?

IMO, yes. (I use a dedicated SIP phone at work and a Sipura ATA at
home.) But, ask in uk.telecom.voip for others' first hand advice on
ATAs and associated service providers.

Also remember that Skype uses a proprietary protocol not SIP or any other
protocol supported by an ATA so won't work with them.

BTW if the OP is in the US why is he asking on a uk group..?
comp.dcom.voice-over-ip is the one to use for the west side of the pond..!

Ivor

Old July 29th 05, 12:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Stuart Millington

On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 00:02:49 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
wrote:
Stuart Millington wrote:

IMO: Forget proprietary carp like this and go for SIP or IAX2
providers.

Also remember that Skype uses a proprietary protocol not SIP or any other
protocol supported by an ATA so won't work with them.

The bit I said above ^^ "IMO: Forget proprietary carp like this..."
covered that ;-)

BTW if the OP is in the US why is he asking on a uk group..?
comp.dcom.voice-over-ip is the one to use for the west side of the pond..!

Possibly because he trusts uk.* users to give honest/accurate advice
more than he trusts than Americans? ;-)

Old July 29th 05, 06:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Paul Westwell

"Stuart Millington" wrote in message
Note: x-posted and FU set to uk.telecom.voip

On 28 Jul 2005 14:15:20 -0700, "Pred02" wrote:

I am interested in a VOiP solution to install at my home in Boston. I
was thinking of using SkyPE as the provider. In addition, I would like

IMO: Forget proprietary carp like this and go for SIP or IAX2

Sype will work very well for you, there is no probplem with with the likes
of Skype using proprietary protocol as to you the user it will be
tranparrant.

providers.

3) Buy a RJ45 to RJ11 adapter like Sipura Phone Adapter and use that
with the regular coordless phone?

IMO, yes. (I use a dedicated SIP phone at work and a Sipura ATA at
home.) But, ask in uk.telecom.voip for others' first hand advice on
ATAs and associated service providers.

I also use Vonage which I can also recommend. The Combination of Skype and
Vonage over my Cable connection give me excellent flexability and I use them
both on a Dualphone www.dualphone.net

Regards,

Paul

Old July 29th 05, 11:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

wrote:
Stuart Millington wrote:

IMO: Forget proprietary carp like this and go for SIP or IAX2
providers.

Also remember that Skype uses a proprietary protocol not SIP or
any other protocol supported by an ATA so won't work with them.

The bit I said above ^^ "IMO: Forget proprietary carp like
this..." covered that ;-)

Ok, I wondered why you were suddenly talking about fish ;-)

BTW if the OP is in the US why is he asking on a uk group..?
comp.dcom.voice-over-ip is the one to use for the west side of the
pond..!

Possibly because he trusts uk.* users to give honest/accurate
advice more than he trusts than Americans? ;-)

Of course..!

Ivor

Old July 31st 05, 12:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Stuart Millington

On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 21:45:02 +0100, "Monkeyonasurfboard"
wrote:

Think you will find there is a Boston in Linconshire England - posted fromm
a UK email addy

The OP posted with a Boston University (USA) address via Google & AOL
(Dulles, USA) and stated "I am in the US."

What "UK email addy" are you referring to?

Old July 31st 05, 07:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
themgt

wrote:

Stuart Millington wrote:

IMO: Forget proprietary carp like this and go for SIP or IAX2
providers.

Also remember that Skype uses a proprietary protocol not SIP or
any other protocol supported by an ATA so won't work with them.

The bit I said above ^^ "IMO: Forget proprietary carp like
this..." covered that ;-)

Ok, I wondered why you were suddenly talking about fish ;-)

They're swimming in the VOIP solution of course.