Phone to use with X-Lite?

Old July 29th 05, 03:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Steve Loft

Default Phone to use with X-Lite?

I'm looking for a phone I can plug into a USB port to use with X-Lite.
I'd like one that looks like a proper 2-piece telephone, rather than
just a handset with a USB cable attached, if you see what I mean?

Does such a thing exist?
--
Steve Loft
Old July 29th 05, 05:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Nick

"Steve Loft" wrote in message
I'm looking for a phone I can plug into a USB port to use with X-Lite.
I'd like one that looks like a proper 2-piece telephone, rather than
just a handset with a USB cable attached, if you see what I mean?

Does such a thing exist?
--
Steve Loft

Why bother? These are just "additional" sounds cars that can cause
conflicts.
If you must use X-Lite then stick with a headset and microphone.

Old July 29th 05, 06:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

Nick wrote:
"Steve Loft" wrote in message
I'm looking for a phone I can plug into a USB port to use with
X-Lite. I'd like one that looks like a proper 2-piece telephone,
rather than just a handset with a USB cable attached, if you see
what I mean?

Does such a thing exist?
--
Steve Loft

Why bother? These are just "additional" sounds cars that can cause
conflicts.
If you must use X-Lite then stick with a headset and microphone.

The Cybrphone K works ok with Skype, but for a SIP based system I would go
with a hardware ATA and use an ordinary phone. The audio quality is *far*
superior to anything you will ever get with a PC and you don't have to
have a PC on. You can use a DECT cordless phone if you want also, why tie
yourself to a PC when you want to make phone calls..?

Ivor

Old July 29th 05, 06:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Steve Loft

Nick wrote:

Why bother?

Because I don't want to have to pull on a headset every time the phone
rings.
--
Steve Loft
Old July 29th 05, 06:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ian

snip

The Cybrphone K works ok with Skype, but for a SIP based system I would go
with a hardware ATA and use an ordinary phone. The audio quality is *far*
superior to anything you will ever get with a PC

Having recently done some testing on this, I will assure you that the
quality is negligable, The comapirson was done with a Cisco ata with a dect
on one port and aub 3 on the other, Mitel and budgetone hard phones and
xlite and firefly softphones, with a basc usb handset. The sound source was
voice and MP3.

Comparison was subjective and also with a scope and mic to look at the wave
forms.

Other than wasting half a day it showed little difference audibly, and
subjectivley no significant difference was seen. from a user point of view.
As to usabilty the hardphone came top fo office and home use with the
softphone beng favorite for mobile use, the ATA being bottom for this.

Ian

Old July 29th 05, 08:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thus spaketh Steve Loft:
Nick wrote:

Why bother?

Because I don't want to have to pull on a headset every time the phone
rings.

So get an ATA instead and do the job properly.

For Free 10 credit when you get referred to TalkTalk or 5 when referred to
easyMobile contact me via above site.

Old July 29th 05, 09:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Steve Loft

{{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:

So get an ATA instead and do the job properly.

Can I connect to two service providers at the same time with an ATA?
--
Steve Loft
Old July 29th 05, 09:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham

"Steve Loft" wrote in message
Nick wrote:

Why bother?

Because I don't want to have to pull on a headset every time the phone
rings.

Probably less debilitating than having to *hold* a handset to your head.
At least both hands are free.

I cant help wondering that if the telephone had been invented more recently
than 130 years ago, the "handset" as we know it today, would not be the most
popular method of interfacing with the PSTN.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old July 29th 05, 09:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Dave Gill

Steve Loft wrote:

Can I connect to two service providers at the same time with an ATA?

Yes (depending on the ATA you choose, of course).

You also have a choice of how the ATA handles the two providers: both
forwarded to one phone port (Sipura 1001) or two separate phone ports
(Sipura 2000, 2100 etc, Linksys PAP2).

Old July 29th 05, 10:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
7

Steve Loft wrote:

I'm looking for a phone I can plug into a USB port to use with X-Lite.
I'd like one that looks like a proper 2-piece telephone, rather than
just a handset with a USB cable attached, if you see what I mean?

Does such a thing exist?

Yes but only for Skype service.

You are better off buying a VoIP WiFI handset and a WiFI router.
Then you can connect all the time around the house to VoIP and
move around the house freely with your handset.