Help please- new to VOIP

Old July 30th 05, 07:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Neil Cooper

Default Help please- new to VOIP

I have a BT Synergy 2150 DECT 2 handset phone. I use a D-Link DSL-G604T
router for my broadband connection. My laptop runs XP2 so what do I need
to use my phone over my broadband connection? Do I just need to buy an
ATA and if so any recommendations would be useful or do I also need to
subscribe to a VOIP provider such as Sipgate ?

I am confused.

Thanks Neil
Old July 30th 05, 08:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

Neil Cooper wrote:
I have a BT Synergy 2150 DECT 2 handset phone. I use a D-Link
DSL-G604T router for my broadband connection. My laptop runs XP2 so
what do I need to use my phone over my broadband connection? Do I
just need to buy an ATA and if so any recommendations would be
useful or do I also need to subscribe to a VOIP provider such as
Sipgate ?
I am confused.

Thanks Neil

There are many ATA's on the market, it really depends on what you want
from the service. Yes you will need an account from a VoIP provider,
Sipgate is an ideal choice for testing the water so to speak as there are
no initial charges. Calls to other Sipgate users are free, as are calls to
other VoIP services that have a peering agreement, although you will need
to add credit to call ordinary landline phones.

My personal favourite for an ATA is the Sipura SPA-2000, this gives you
two completely independent phone ports which can be configured separately,
on different providers if you so wish. An alternative is the SPA-1001
which has capacity for two accounts but only a single phone port, you
choose which line you want with access codes.

Incidentally, your PC has no bearing on using VoIP with an ATA, it doesn't
even need to be on. You will need it to access the configuration pages for
the unit though, but once set up and working the PC is not needed for day
to day use. The device plugs into the router along with the PC(s).

It is possible you will need to manually set up port forwarding to the ATA
from your router, but there are no hard and fast rules on this, you will
just have to see what works..!

Info on the Sipura range he www.sipura.com

Ivor

Old July 31st 05, 01:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Martin²

Neil Cooper:
what do I need to use my phone over my broadband connection?

You could use a softphone like Xten Lite, with headset and microphone.
Sipura ATA's are considered the best, but aren't cheap.
Linksys PAP2 works OK and it's ~£40 from broadbanbuyer.co.uk
(beware the cheaper version is locked to Vonage !)

Strictly speaking you don't need VoIP provider, you can call other VoIP
users directly using their IP number, obviously static IP is easier.
But VoIP provider like sipgate allows in and out PSTN calls.
Regards,
Martin