Failed to hangup Sipgate call, cost me a packet

Old July 31st 05, 07:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Joe Harrison

Default Failed to hangup Sipgate call, cost me a packet

Someone here dialled an 0870xxxxxxxx number and according to them finished
the call after a few minutes and hung up. Then on Sipgate view-my-bill I see
that the call duration was logged as 1hour 52min and it's cost over eight
quid.

The person swears they did hang up the call properly (pressed the hangup
button on the DECT) so I am now a bit stuck. Is it really finger trouble on
their part, or ATA config problem, or Sipgate not clearing down the call?

I'm using SPA-3000 over NTL cable, I have now turned on the "syslog" and
"debug" features of the ATA in case this happens again but any thoughts
welcome.

Joe

Old July 31st 05, 09:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Philip

"Joe Harrison" wrote in message
Someone here dialled an 0870xxxxxxxx number and according to them finished
the call after a few minutes and hung up. Then on Sipgate view-my-bill I

see
that the call duration was logged as 1hour 52min and it's cost over eight
quid.

The person swears they did hang up the call properly (pressed the hangup
button on the DECT) so I am now a bit stuck. Is it really finger trouble

on
their part, or ATA config problem, or Sipgate not clearing down the call?

I'm using SPA-3000 over NTL cable, I have now turned on the "syslog" and
"debug" features of the ATA in case this happens again but any thoughts
welcome.

Joe

Hi

Check if the person believing to have hung up has a mobile phone they use a
lot, then see if the hang up/start call buttons on the mobile happen to be
the opposite of the DECT? I do this a lot with a DECT, press call instead
of hang up leaving the phone connected, as the buttons are the opposite way
round on my mobile which I am more used to using, so I always double check
now on the DECT display the call has terminated, i.e. I pressed the right
button!

Still a good job for you Sipgate have a maximum call limit of 150 minutes as
it would have kept going until your call credit was all used up otherwise.

Regards

Phil

Old July 31st 05, 09:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Paul Westwell

So regardless of Sipgate what happened the other end og the call?

I assume at some point they put there phone down in which case after a
period of time there should have been a forced release.

Regards,

Paul

Old July 31st 05, 09:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Joe Harrison

"Philip" wrote in message

[...]

Ta for ideas.

I just had another good one, edit the dialplan string to bar calls to 0870.
I never liked the ripoff things anyway, why businesses think you should pay
8p/min for the privilege of calling about their product is beyond me.

Joe

Old July 31st 05, 09:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Joe Harrison" wrote in message

[snip]

Ta for ideas.

I just had another good one, edit the dialplan string to bar calls to
0870.
I never liked the ripoff things anyway, why businesses think you should
pay
8p/min for the privilege of calling about their product is beyond me.

Joe

I use the Fritz!Box Fon which has the ability to set up dialling rules for
this kind of thing. I have it set to route anything other than normal
geographic numbers via the PSTN, but it could just as easily be set to bar
these calls. I refuse to dial 0870's anyway.

Ivor

Old August 1st 05, 09:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

[...]

Email me off group. I tried the address you posted with but it bounced.

--
Ivor

(replace 'invalid' with 'com' in sending address to reply direct)

Old August 1st 05, 08:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Joe Harrison

Starting to look like genuine finger trouble by phone user. I think Philip
might have hit it on the head with people getting too used to mobile phone
button layout.

I really need to have another go at properly regionalising the "user
experience" to seem more exactly like a landline phone. The default tones
for SPA-3000 are obviously American, I think people can live even with this
but it's things like different hangup delay and digit recognition times
which really confuse people.

Joe

Old August 1st 05, 09:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Joe Harrison" wrote in message
Starting to look like genuine finger trouble by phone user. I think
Philip
might have hit it on the head with people getting too used to mobile
phone
button layout.

I really need to have another go at properly regionalising the "user
experience" to seem more exactly like a landline phone. The default
tones
for SPA-3000 are obviously American, I think people can live even with
this
but it's things like different hangup delay and digit recognition times
which really confuse people.

Joe

I may be able to help with config details, the 3000 isn't that different
from my 2000 so let me know.

Ivor

Old August 1st 05, 09:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ian

"Joe Harrison" wrote in message
Starting to look like genuine finger trouble by phone user. I think Philip
might have hit it on the head with people getting too used to mobile phone
button layout.

I really need to have another go at properly regionalising the "user
experience" to seem more exactly like a landline phone. The default tones
for SPA-3000 are obviously American, I think people can live even with

this
but it's things like different hangup delay and digit recognition times
which really confuse people.

Hi Joe.

Im sorry to say but it will almost certainly be finger trouble. As if the
caller had hung up, there would have been no rtp traffic from you and the
gateway would have dropped the call.

Oops

Ian

Old August 1st 05, 11:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
PhilÅ

So 0870 calls are charged at the standard national rate???

??

I can not find the tariff for 0870 on the sipgate pages?