Which broadband package??

Old August 1st 05, 06:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
PhilÅ

Default Which broadband package??

I have the NTL 1MB DL 100k UL, will this be op for a IP phone service??

Old August 1st 05, 06:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Stickems.

Yes, that will be just fine.

Old August 1st 05, 06:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
PhilÅ

Re the 100k upload speed, I obviously use the internet at the same time, and
sometimes the xbox live with voice.. I will ask again, will this struggle???

"Stickems." wrote in message
eenews.net...
Yes, that will be just fine.

Old August 1st 05, 06:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"PhilÅ" wrote in message
Re the 100k upload speed, I obviously use the internet at the same time,
and sometimes the xbox live with voice.. I will ask again, will this
struggle???

I'm struggling to follow this thread..!

Ivor
--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old August 1st 05, 07:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
PhilÅ

I'm struggling to follow this thread..!

Ivor
--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.

Some people like the reply being at the top of a thread.

Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

It isn't really unless some people are being picky

Picky people.

Old August 1st 05, 07:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ian

"PhilÅ" wrote in message
Re the 100k upload speed, I obviously use the internet at the same time,

and
sometimes the xbox live with voice.. I will ask again, will this

struggle???

Hi, Yes 100K upload will struggle as G711 will use 80K+ of that and that can
be said to be 100% of your upload. You could try using a G729 or GSM codec
but you will still proberly get packet loss and jitter.

Ian

Old August 1st 05, 07:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Joe Harrison

"PhilÅ" wrote in message
Re the 100k upload speed, I obviously use the internet at the same time,

and
sometimes the xbox live with voice.. I will ask again, will this

struggle???

"Stickems." wrote in message
eenews.net...
Yes, that will be just fine.

"PhilÅ" wrote in message
|I have the NTL 1MB DL 100k UL, will this be op for a IP phone service??

Yes it will struggle if you are not careful. I use NTL 1MB/100K with Sipgate
as provider and it's important to do some sort of traffic shaping in
whatever you use to share out your internet access. You don't want your call
to drop off when some xbox game or other thing suddenly grabs all the
bandwidth. What I do is just instruct router that any packet to or from the
MAC address of my VOIP adapter must have top available priority and
everything works pretty well no matter what else is happening on the LAN.

Joe

Old August 1st 05, 07:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ian

"PhilÅ" wrote in message
Re the 100k upload speed, I obviously use the internet at the same time,

and
sometimes the xbox live with voice.. I will ask again, will this

struggle???

Oops forgot to add codec list at
http://www.cyber-cottage.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Bandwidth

Ian

Old August 1st 05, 07:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Steve

"PhilÅ" wrote in message
I have the NTL 1MB DL 100k UL, will this be op for a IP phone service??

As long as your doing nothing else at the time, it'll be OK. If you are
doing anything else at all) then no it wont be OK. I have a 256k UL, and if
I'm doing anything else at the time, (web browsing etc) then that causes the
audio on the IP phonecall to break up badly. Im using an hardware ATA
(Sipura). For perfect calls, its best if your not doing anything else at
the time.

Old August 1st 05, 08:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"PhilÅ" wrote in message

I'm struggling to follow this thread..!

Ivor
--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.

Some people like the reply being at the top of a thread.

The majority don't.

Ivor