Ok Beginner help??

Old August 1st 05, 07:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
PhilÅ

Default Ok Beginner help??

Have just signed up with Sipgate..

Nice and easy, I like the 1000 tariff at £5.90 this is half my current line
rental and is ample.

Anyways.. I have not got a IP phone yet, and was going to try it out with
software on the PC, so where can you get calling software from, if any???

And after this, I plan to connect either all my analogue phones to some sort
of box that plugs into the router, or a phone to plug into the router??.

Any recommendations.

Thanks in anticipation.

Old August 1st 05, 07:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
PhilÅ

"PhilÅ" wrote in message
Have just signed up with Sipgate..

Nice and easy, I like the 1000 tariff at £5.90 this is half my current
line rental and is ample.

Anyways.. I have not got a IP phone yet, and was going to try it out with
software on the PC, so where can you get calling software from, if any???

And after this, I plan to connect either all my analogue phones to some
sort of box that plugs into the router, or a phone to plug into the
router??.

Any recommendations.

Thanks in anticipation.

Have found x-lite, downloading

Old August 1st 05, 08:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"PhilÅ" wrote in message

"PhilÅ" wrote in message
Have just signed up with Sipgate..

Nice and easy, I like the 1000 tariff at £5.90 this is half my current
line rental and is ample.

Anyways.. I have not got a IP phone yet, and was going to try it out
with software on the PC, so where can you get calling software from, if
any???

And after this, I plan to connect either all my analogue phones to some
sort of box that plugs into the router, or a phone to plug into the
router??.

Any recommendations.

Thanks in anticipation.

Have found x-lite, downloading

X-Lite is fine as far as it goes, but if you really plan to use 1000
minutes a month (and remember that tariff is not good value unless you do)
then a hardware solution is far more satisfactory.

There are several options for ATA's (adaptors), my personal favourite is
the Sipura SPA-2000 which gives you two fully independent phone ports
which can be configured with different service providers if you wish.

Remember that if you don't use £5.90 of calls in a month (and unless
you're running a business it's unlikely) then you're better off with the
normal prepay option, assuming Sipgate, as there is no monthly charge for
this.

Also note that unless you are on cable and cancel your phone line with
them, you will still have to pay BT for a line rental.

Ivor

Old August 1st 05, 08:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
PhilÅ

wrote in message
On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 18:08:18 GMT, "PhilÅ"
wrote:

Have just signed up with Sipgate..

Nice and easy, I like the 1000 tariff at £5.90 this is half my current
line
rental and is ample.

So did they charge you 5.99 or TEN POUNDS which they will charge you
again next month or have they altered their robbing ways since I
complained about this a week ago to my local trading standards office
.????????????????.

Opps, they have not got my bank details yet.. Should I be worried??

Old August 1st 05, 08:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
PhilÅ

"Ivor Jones" wrote in message

"PhilÅ" wrote in message

"PhilÅ" wrote in message
[...]

Hi Ivor, have only had a quick look around your ata is around £75, but have
found a Linksys PAP2 Phone Adapter with 2 Ports for Voice-over-IP
for half that??. Appears to do the same?? Am I wrong?

Old August 1st 05, 08:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham

X-Lite available from www.xten.com
or go straight to the download page here http://snipurl.com/4d1g

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old August 1st 05, 08:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"PhilÅ" wrote in message

[snip]

Hi Ivor, have only had a quick look around your ata is around £75, but
have found a Linksys PAP2 Phone Adapter with 2 Ports for Voice-over-IP
for half that??. Appears to do the same?? Am I wrong?

I believe it's similar but I haven't tried one myself. Beware some of them
are locked to Vonage.

Ivor

Old August 1st 05, 09:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ian

"PhilÅ" wrote in message

"Ivor Jones" wrote in message

"PhilÅ" wrote in message

"PhilÅ" wrote in message
[...]

Hi
You should be seeing everone start to discount their old SPA2000 stock as
the SPA2002 takes over and the 2000 is retired.

Ian

Old August 1st 05, 09:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
PhilÅ

"Ian" spam"AT"bathfordhill.co.uk wrote in message

"PhilÅ" wrote in message

"Ivor Jones" wrote in message

"PhilÅ" wrote in message

"PhilÅ" wrote in message
[...]

I have found a linksys one.

I need to replace my router anyway, and have found this linksys one which is
a wired and wireless router with 2 voip ports built in. Looks like it fixes
2 problems I am trying to sort out this month..

Just had a online live chat with linksys support to check a few things
including xbox live compatibility. Looks great from what I can see.

Old August 3rd 05, 06:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Thomas Rankin

wrote:

Have just signed up with Sipgate..

Nice and easy, I like the 1000 tariff at £5.90 this is half my current
line
rental and is ample.

So did they charge you 5.99 or TEN POUNDS which they will charge you
again next month or have they altered their robbing ways since I
complained about this a week ago to my local trading standards office

Opps, they have not got my bank details yet.. Should I be worried??

I wouldn't be, I'm sure this isn't a case of Dexter ignoring the minimum
£10 top up in the (not) small print in the credit your account section
(understandable when you consider handling fees charged for bank
transfers/CC payments and the low-profit margin associated with this
type of business), and that his account was credited with the remaining
£4.10 but that he did indeed have a valid compaint.

I can only speak from my experience, and by their terms and conditions I
have never been overcharged for anything.