Getting random silent calls

Old August 1st 05, 09:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Joe Harrison

Default Getting random silent calls

Looking around the SPA forum on voxilla there seems to have been quite a few
people affected by random incoming calls. I sometimes get these but only
during the nighttime and a sod they are too when you're asleep. Anyone else
suffered/solved these?

I think they are actual spuriously-generated calls rather than "genuine"
telemarketing silent junk of the garden variety. The log file just shows
INVITE originating from localhost as though it was incoming PSTN call,
here's one from a four-second period around 3AM today. Repetitive lines
removed to avoid boring people with huge log entry:

INVITE :5060 SIP/2.0
[0:5060]-127.0.0.1:5061
SIP/2.0 180 Ringing
CANCEL :5060 SIP/2.0
SIP/2.0 487 Request Terminated

Joe

Old August 1st 05, 10:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"Joe Harrison" writes:
Looking around the SPA forum on voxilla there seems to have been quite a few
people affected by random incoming calls. I sometimes get these but only
during the nighttime and a sod they are too when you're asleep. Anyone else
suffered/solved these?

I think they are actual spuriously-generated calls rather than "genuine"
telemarketing silent junk of the garden variety. The log file just shows
INVITE originating from localhost as though it was incoming PSTN call,
here's one from a four-second period around 3AM today. Repetitive lines
removed to avoid boring people with huge log entry:

Yes, I get these too.
I suspect they relate to BT line testing.
What you might be able to do is to increase the PSTN Line
"PSTN Ring Thru Delay" to avoid it, but I haven't actually
tried doing this.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Old August 1st 05, 10:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Joe Harrison

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
.. .

Yes, I get these too.
I suspect they relate to BT line testing.
What you might be able to do is to increase the PSTN Line
"PSTN Ring Thru Delay" to avoid it, but I haven't actually
tried doing this.

OK cheers my line is NTL but now you mention it I do recall when we had BT
the phone did occasionally used to do a faint "ding" in the middle of the
night. I checked my value for PSTN Ring Thru Delay and it defaults to 1
second, you'd think that would be long enough but maybe not and I might try
lengthening it.

First though I'm going to see if NTL can switch off the line testing.

Joe